51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Funding

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby DCB » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Stebben84 wrote:In other words, profit, profit, profit.

Funny how they blame health care reform, but don't give any specifics.

Hillary Clinton personally fired all those people, but she's going to blame it on that offensive video.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:20 pm

HawkHead wrote:
Sandi wrote:
Hope you didn't spend long on it because it was a total waste of time. There was no ACA in effect for 2012.

Wrong again Sandi. Tax provisions of the ACA have been in effect since 2011 and maybe before for some of the coverage aspects regarding older children being covered by their parents insurance.

I'm trying to follow along here and doing poorly. What is the ACA and why did Sandi bring it up? Because there was no mention of ACA in your post. Is it Audited Consolidated something or other?

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Funny how they blame health care reform, but don't give any specifics. What a convenient scapegoat for them. I wonder if Toby Cosgrove will forgo a raise this year...

Bwahahhaahaa. Of course not.

Funny how you snark and apply "profit, profit, profit" to a non-profit organization that exists on donations.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Sandi wrote:

Funny how they blame health care reform, but don't give any specifics. What a convenient scapegoat for them. I wonder if Toby Cosgrove will forgo a raise this year...

Bwahahhaahaa. Of course not.

Funny how you snark and apply "profit, profit, profit" to a non-profit organization that exists on donations.

Funny how you think an organization that does over 6 billion dollars in gross revenues exists on donations.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:44 am

rabble wrote:
HawkHead wrote:
Sandi wrote:
Hope you didn't spend long on it because it was a total waste of time. There was no ACA in effect for 2012.

Wrong again Sandi. Tax provisions of the ACA have been in effect since 2011 and maybe before for some of the coverage aspects regarding older children being covered by their parents insurance.

I'm trying to follow along here and doing poorly. What is the ACA and why did Sandi bring it up? Because there was no mention of ACA in your post. Is it Audited Consolidated something or other?

ACA is the affordable care act or Obamacare.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:46 am

Sandi wrote:[Funny how you snark and apply "profit, profit, profit" to a non-profit organization that exists on donations.

"Dumb, dumb, dumb." Charities depend on donations. Most non-profits do not. Think credit unions.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:52 am

You would have thought the GOP/Teabag folks would have learned a lesson about unskewed polls from the last election. But if the GOP/Teabag party firmly believes shutting down the government and defaulting on government debt is what the American people want, please proceed and we will take another poll next November.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:39 am

HawkHead wrote:ACA is the affordable care act or Obamacare.

Huh.

I would have expected Sandi to call it Obamacare then, since she's so fond of pejoratives. Or has that word already lost its negative connotation for anyone who isn't hard core rightwing?

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:24 pm

rabble wrote:
HawkHead wrote:ACA is the affordable care act or Obamacare.

Huh.

I would have expected Sandi to call it Obamacare then, since she's so fond of pejoratives. Or has that word already lost its negative connotation for anyone who isn't hard core rightwing?

If you don't have anything to add but trollish behavior I may as well put you back on ignore.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Well dammit tell me I'm off ignore next time!

I thought you were still ignoring me so I didn't fucking care what I said.

You do love your pejoratives, though. You use the word "troll" as a catch-all for all sorts of behavior, much of which isn't really trolling.

And I'm curious why you didn't say "obamacare."

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:09 pm

rabble wrote:And I'm curious why you didn't say "obamacare."

Obamacare and ACA mean the same. I can't say any particular reason why, maybe I was lazy and 3 letters easier is to type.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:36 pm

Obamacare ( or 'ACA' for the lazy) is dividing the Republican party.

On the one hand, you have
Senator Jerry Moran (R-KS) helped sponsor Senator Ted Cruz’s (R-TX) bill to defund healthcare reform. Moran has attacked the law and called it a failure

On the other hand,
[Jerry Moran (R-KS)] heaped praise the community center for helping provide comprehensive care, noting “even the most conservative politician…ought to be in favor of community health centers.” Though he did not acknowledge the source of the construction money, the $4.7 million came completely from Affordable Care Act discretionary spending.

Maybe those two guys should talk to each other.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:09 pm

Sandi, since you created this post, explain to me the part of the ACA that forced a 6 billion dollar company to cut workers. You provided the link, now provide the reasons because the spokespeople didn't.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Sandi wrote:
rabble wrote:And I'm curious why you didn't say "obamacare."

Obamacare and ACA mean the same. I can't say any particular reason why, maybe I was lazy and 3 letters easier is to type.

Which enforces my original theory that the word has lost the negative connotation the right tried to give it.

I remember Huck predicted that would happen soon after Obama managed to get it through.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Why do Big Ten fans root against Big Ten teams when playing non-con opponents? That makes no sense because it makes the conference look weak and, by extension, your team look weak regardless of which Big Ten team you root for. Sorry, just watching the Michigan game.

As to the ACA, there seems to be growing concern that a lot of large companies with lower wage workforces will move away from any coverage whatsoever and send their employees to the exchange for insurance. This raises a myriad of questions, none of which should be answered by Sandi given her complete inability to view anything objectively.

1. If companies like Walgreens or Wal-Mart force all employees, including management to the exchanges, will they pay those employees more to compensate for their cost savings? I suspect not. Or maybe there aren't any cost savings because those companies will be paying penalties for uninsured employees? Is this mutually beneficial? Do the employees benefit from the ACA and the company benefit by unloading insurance costs, and if so who bears that extra cost?

2. Are taxpayers on the hook for potentially explosive costs of the ACA if employers simply send all of their employees to the exchanges and the federal government is stuck subsidizing far more insurance policies than originally intended, or do you think actuaries have already estimated such an exodus and figured that into the costs? My understanding is that the CBO scored the ACA as a deficit reducer, but we're talking about a huge, chaotic change to health care. I'm not sure that any of us really know what will happen after October 1st or January 1st, or even a year or two down the road.

3. Is such chaos a political calculation? Is the ACA simply a clever ruse to implement universal healthcare? If auto manufacturers move plants to Canada because it removes health care costs from their profit equation, they've apparently decided that increased taxes are more desirable than soaring health care costs. Might other industries see the same benefits and ultimately prefer universal health care to low taxes? Maybe Republicans are right that the ACA is unsustainably expensive and maybe the designers of the ACA not only know this, but are counting on it.

Return to “National Politics & Government”