51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Funding

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5069
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby gargantua » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:14 am

Attempting to reason with Sandi seems rather like attempting to reason with House Republicans. It's no wonder that there is little hope that anything constructive gets done.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:30 am

Sandi wrote:Yes, absolutely correct. And as this poll indicates most likely voters agree and want to defund it as well.


Fucking pathetic. That is NOT what that question said and you know it.

Some members of Congress refuse to approve a budget unless it slows or stops funding for the new health care law. Would you rather have Congress avoid a government shutdown by authorizing spending for the health care law at existing levels or would you rather have a partial government shutdown until Democrats and Republicans agree on what spending for that law to cut?


Please point to me the words defund.

When you say MOST likely voter, do you mean half? That's not most. The way you're trying to spin this is very sad to watch.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21604
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:04 pm

I have a feeling that Sandi would be singing a different tune if her VA medical care or her Social Security income was affected by a government shutdown.

Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:34 pm
Contact:

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby Zoti Bemba » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm still dreaming about which part of the government I would shutdown in a "partial government shutdown."

Hint: three words, first one begins with "H", last one begins with "R". The ones who can't figure out that the horse the keep trying to beat is already in the starting gate; race starts in a week and a half. All they are going to get by hitting it some more are splinters.

If that certain group of people got their salaries and staffs and travel budgets cut then, yeah, I would have answered "yes" to that question. Then I would have voted to cut their ACA coverage subsidies and those of all the Governors who refused to expand Medicaid coverage in their states. Certain politicians need to learn what it's like to be uninsured before they're allowed to play "gotcha!" games with peoples' lives.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2925
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2001 4:05 pm
Location: east side of Madison
Contact:

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby eriedasch » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I have a feeling that Sandi would be singing a different tune if her VA medical care or her Social Security income was affected by a government shutdown.

Asolutely disgusting how anyone with a hint of conscience or humanity (looking at you Sandi) can honestly argue about cutting someone ELSE's health care when they have Government provided health care paid for by tax payers for whatever reason (i.e. job, past military service, etc.).

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3614
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby jman111 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Sandi nicely (and routinely) demonstrates the "I got mine; fuck you" attitude so prevalent on the political right today.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3253
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby DCB » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:47 pm

Anchor baby Ted Cruz might be going soft on the defunding plan, wingnuts are outraged:
Another senior GOP leadership aide took a shot at Cruz declining to say whether he would filibuster the bill, telling CNN, "It is disappointing to see that Wendy Davis has more balls than Ted Cruz,"

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/R ... t_Ted_Cruz

ha-ha, its funny because you're not only crazy, you're misogynist.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8697
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby Huckleby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Sandi wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:BULLSHIT. Republicans want to outright defund the ACA.


Yes, absolutely correct. And as this poll indicates most likely voters agree and want to defund it as well.


That is not what the poll says. Stebben interpreted it correctly. This is a very dumb thread.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Huckleby wrote:This is a very dumb thread.


I'm about to make it dumber. Watch some new ads by a group called Generation Opportunity. The pap smear one is my personal fav.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/1 ... 54819.html

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2591
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby Sandi » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Sandi wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:BULLSHIT. Republicans want to outright defund the ACA.


Yes, absolutely correct. And as this poll indicates most likely voters agree and want to defund it as well.


That is not what the poll says. Stebben interpreted it correctly. This is a very dumb thread.


Only thing I see that is very dumb, is the responses. No surprise on a progressive forum.

Please point to me the words defund.


"This helps explain why 53% would rather have a partial government shutdown until Democrats and Republicans can agree on what spending to cut."

And what exactly in the "what spending to cut contention?" ACA of course.


Quick recap: Sandi
1. Posts a link with a source of questionable credibility.
2. Draws a specious conclusion from said link.
3. Gets quickly and thoroughly refuted.
4. Provides no more evidence supporting her conclusion.
5. Declares victory.


1. Anything progressives don't agree with is "of questionable credibility."
2. Yes, but not absolute, as it is a poll.
3. I expect no less from progressives.
4. Asking for more evidence on a poll is stupid, but expected.
5. Where did I declare victory?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:31 pm

This is like debating a bag of nickles.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby Detritus » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Stebben84 wrote:This is like debating a bag of nickles.

In Sandi's case, I would amend that to "a bag of nickle."

DCB
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3253
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby DCB » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Can I have a nickle bag instead?

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2591
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby Sandi » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Stebben84 wrote:This is like debating a bag of nickles.


Perhaps you can find a poll with results more to your liking.

Put up or STFU.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Sandi wrote:Put up or STFU.


Still, a majority of Americans (57 percent) say they disapprove of the idea of cutting off funding as a way to stop the law from being implemented


http://kff.org/health-reform/poll-findi ... gust-2013/

Bam, took me less than a minute.

By the way, any links referring to:

The Affordable Healthcare Act is costing jobs in record proportions, not to mention raising healthcare costs, while, in many cases, lowering standards of care.


Return to “National Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests