The 50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The 50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

Postby bdog » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:58 pm

pjbogart wrote:And pointing out that I have a problem with black teenagers not pulling up their pants is insulting. Apples and fucking oranges. Not even in the same ballpark.

Didn't mean to insult you Peej; I thought that was a pretty bold post...there's only a couple others here in your "camp" (Huckleby comes to mind) that have the balls to post something like that. And let's be honest - you were talking about a hell of a lot more than teens not pulling up their pants.

I think you need to lay off cruising the right wing sites. Can't you get into something more moderate?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Igor wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:, as well as their gerrrymandering of congressional and legislative districts.

Not to cherry pick a statement, but gerrymandering is not confined to the right wing.

No doubt. But since the GOP controls more statehouses, they have gone about gerrymandering with a vengence. An exception is Iowa, where an independent commission has drawn up equal and fair congressional districts. I wish more states would adopt that approach.

In the meanwhile the federal DOJ is suing Texas over racially biased gerrymandering.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:26 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Igor wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:, as well as their gerrrymandering of congressional and legislative districts.

Not to cherry pick a statement, but gerrymandering is not confined to the right wing.

No doubt. But since the GOP controls more statehouses, they have gone about gerrymandering with a vengence. An exception is Iowa, where an independent commission has drawn up equal and fair congressional districts. I wish more states would adopt that approach.

In the meanwhile the federal DOJ is suing Texas over racially biased gerrymandering.

Which is ironic, because racially based gerrymandering has also required by the courts, IIRC. 40% Minority and 80% minority districts are discriminatory, 60% is not, apparently.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:14 pm

"...conservatives are bringing race into this discussion because they are simply doing what has been asked of them by Reid and countless others, including the president and the attorney general: They're trying to have that coveted "national conversation about race." Of course, the conversation that the conversation-mongers want is entirely one-sided; they only want to talk about why their ideological enemies are racists. Any other discussion is an incomprehensible and unjustifiable tangent distracting us from what they want to hear and say.
But the truth is, that's not what is going on. To the extent that people are bringing up race it is to turn the tables, rhetorically at least, on people like Reid and her MSNBC colleagues for their relentless - some might say shameless and disgusting - effort to exploit the George Zimmerman murder trial."
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/08/will_eric_holder_ever_learn_to_be_careful_what_he_asks_for.html

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Can you explain why black Americans have voted overwhelmingly for Democratic candidates since the 1960s? Hint, it has nothing to do with the race of our current president.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Can you explain why black Americans have voted overwhelmingly for Democratic candidates since the 1960s? Hint, it has nothing to do with the race of our current president.

"The black unemployment rate under President Barack Obama has remained at twice the rate of white unemployment as it has been for the last 60 years, according to a new Pew Research Center report."
http://www.newsmax.com/US/pew-black-jobless-rate/2013/08/23/id/521947

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:33 pm

And still they vote for him by huge margins.

Tell us why you think that is.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Pandering, transfer payments.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:04 pm

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:03 pm

snoqueen wrote:And still they vote for him by huge margins.

Tell us why you think that is.

Quite likely most are low info voters, who decide on sound bites, and pay zero attention to what goes on in the real world.

That actually happens with both parties, but the dis-information from the left is far more extreme.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:29 am

Even more likely, they actually understand what is going on.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:41 am

I think what Sandi's trying to say is that you don't listen to Rush Limbaugh and are, therefore, a low information voter. It's one of his favorite phrases. Sandi doesn't believe that she falls for propaganda, despite having her links repeatedly exposed as just that. Using multiple sources will usually help you better understand an issue, but right-wing media marches in lockstep so you're bound to run into the same lies over and over and over. After a while the lies start to seem true.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:18 am

Rich Schultz wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Can you explain why black Americans have voted overwhelmingly for Democratic candidates since the 1960s? Hint, it has nothing to do with the race of our current president.

"The black unemployment rate under President Barack Obama has remained at twice the rate of white unemployment as it has been for the last 60 years, according to a new Pew Research Center report."
http://www.newsmax.com/US/pew-black-jobless-rate/2013/08/23/id/521947

When asked what he would do to address black unemployment his response was, "I'm the president for all Americans, I'm not the black president."

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:15 am

The lesson Dr. King might draw is this: dreams die when you don't vote. When dreams die and you have no hope, you descend into nihilism and criminality. Creative protest can save you from that, and I engage in protest as much as the next guy, but if you're out on the street, my guess is you ain't in control of the levers of power. I'd rather not have to be out on the street. Voting in every possible election, especially local and state elections, where the most virulent racism plays out, is what keeps the dream alive, because it usually defeats the racists.

The best answer to the racist memes of right wing media is to be in a position to simply ignore them. If you hold the power, whatever racist meme they want to spew becomes irrelevant. Obama doesn't get all that excited by the race baiting. He knows he holds power. If these guys get too far out of control, they are done.

Now to voting. If you vote in every election the precinct people get to know who you are. No one is going to challenge your right to vote, or try to keep you from voting. If they do the local election officials are going to take your side. Voting regularly guarantees your right to vote unchallenged, irrespective of what the Supreme Court or the Reince Preibus try to do.

Second, by voting in large numbers and for anti-racist candidates you keep the racists out of power. At most, the racists control an ever decreasing sliver of the electorate. But when they vote and we don't, they win and big chunks of the dream get chipped at.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:31 am

pjbogart wrote:How will you be celebrating? Personally, I'll be celebrating by sifting through right-wing media to find reports of a black guy killing a white guy. And let's face it, I won't have to sift much, because the crackers are at full tilt. You'd think that the only crime to occur in the last week was black kids killing white guys if you've been tuning into the news.

But murders happen every day, don't they? Has there been a rash of violence over the past week? How come we didn't hear much about the white guy who walked into an elementary school with an AK-47 and 500 rounds of ammunition. Oh, my mistake, he was white, and this week we're only focusing on crimes where black people kill white people. On average there are 40 murders every day in the US. That means that in the past week there have been about 280 murders. But we aren't looking at 278 of them, we're more concerned with the two which involved a black kid killing a white guy. Because that's all that really matters on the eve of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech.

Sometimes Republicans cleverly hide their racism, like when they use inaccurate tweets from Allen West (a black man) to justify asking the White House why they aren't commenting on a murder involving three black youths, when there were actually only two black youths. The third youth was white.

This noxious diatribe is your idea of honoring the spirit of MLK's work? It's an insult to the man, PJ. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I mean have you heard the speech? It takes but a little empathy and understanding to realize that when he says, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character," he's talking about letting go of prejudices.

But here you sit, coveting them. Lefties' dream today is the same as it was then: to latch on to differences, to institutionalize them, to magnify and sanctify perceived slights, to incite animosity. You've made a deity of race, - race card, race baiting, race hustling, race worshiping. It can never go away because it has become an immortal part of the liberal doctrine.

This message is conveyed to the modern black youth: however your life turns out, it's not your fault - it's their fault. If you're upset about what someone has that you don't - you should be. Whatever you do, it's justified. However you treat people, it doesn't matter. Your life would be better, except for them. Those other people, those white people, are bad. They're the reason you don't get high test scores: it's their kind of books, their kind of schools, their kind of learning. If you do something bad, you should get away with it. They should pay, not you. If you do something to them, it's not a big deal - that's life. If they do something to you, it's a really bad thing, that's racist.

Via the welfare state, for better or for worse, what we're creating is this permanent underclass largely made up of minority individuals. An underclass with no place to go but down and thus no possible consequences worse than their current circumstance: a life of dependency on the pittance of welfare. Trapped by it, dependent on it, we give them something that takes something away. Let me know who the next group you want to liberate is please so I can be sure to get far out of their path before your neo-eugenic liberal experiment turns them into monsters.

Return to “National Politics & Government”