Obamacare hiccup

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Obamacare hiccup

Postby DCB » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:34 am

snoqueen wrote: Because we can see that other countries have succeeded in providing healthcare, we know these problems can be alleviated.

But the Republican party isn't interested in alleviating these problems. They've decided they are better off making it worse for the poors.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:37 am

Also too, what other countries do does not count because America.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:55 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Sandi wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Then why do other western-style democracies with universal health care spend less per capita with better health outcomes than the U.S.?

They may spend less, but there is no better healthcare anywhere in the world than the US.

Not so. For example: infant mortality by country. Compare the U.S. to western-style democracies with universal health care. The same holds true for other health issues.

More on U.S. birth costs vs. results:
Across the U.S., many families know firsthand how high maternity care costs are. As noted in The Times recently, giving birth in the U.S. is more expensive than any other country in the world. Total costs average $18,329 for a vaginal delivery and $27,866 for a C-section, with the bulk of the bill going to insurers. However, families with insurance still have to pay about $3400 out of pocket.

What's ironic is we can't even claim that the extra expense pays off in healthier mothers and babies. According to a study by the Institute of Medicine, the U.S. ranks at or near the bottom on virtually all maternity care outcomes.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:48 pm

Yes, healthcare is expensive here, probably the most expensive in the world. That wasn't my point, my point was the quality of healthcare.

As long as the insurance lobby all but writes the regulations, it will stay that way.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Sandi wrote:As long as the insurance lobby all but writes the regulations, it will stay that way.

The insurance lobby did write much of OBamacare. But in its final form, the insurance lobby opposed it because of its cost control mechanisms.

(I am not a big fan of price controls and such, but Obamacare does force the insurance companies to cap their administrations fees. )

The insurance companies are not the ones driving up the cost of health care. For proof, see that there are no insurance companies involved in medicare, and those costs are spiraling out of control.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Sandi wrote:That wasn't my point, my point was the quality of healthcare.

You did catch the part where you were proven wrong about that, right?

You understand that US health care is no longer the best care anywhere, unless you have the kind of money that gets you the best care everywhere?

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Huckleby wrote:The insurance companies are not the ones driving up the cost of health care. For proof, see that there are no insurance companies involved in medicare, and those costs are spiraling out of control.

I was under the belief that medicare was administered through private contractors (insurance companies) in much the same way Badger Care is. Is this not true?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:41 pm

Part B (Medicare supplemental) and Part D (Medicare prescription plans) are private.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:
Huckleby wrote:The insurance companies are not the ones driving up the cost of health care. For proof, see that there are no insurance companies involved in medicare, and those costs are spiraling out of control.

I was under the belief that medicare was administered through private contractors (insurance companies) in much the same way Badger Care is. Is this not true?

Actually you are correct. But they are just claims processors. (I was hoping to slip that one through, what I said is essentially correct because profit motive is minimized.)

But that brings up an excellent point: the long term goal (dream?) of Obamacare is to regulate the insurance companies to the degree that they function more like the claims processors in medicare.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned it but under Obamacare the hiccups is considerable a termination worthy condition by teh death panels.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Ghost of Christmas future...

13,000 died needlessly at 14 worst NHS trusts
The needless deaths of thousands of NHS patients will be exposed in a report this week
The NHS’s medical director will spell out the failings of 14 trusts in England, which between them have been responsible for up to 13,000 “excess deaths” since 2005.

Prof Sir Bruce Keogh will describe how each hospital let its patients down badly through poor care, medical errors and failures of management, and will show that the scandal of Stafford Hospital, where up to 1,200 patients died needlessly, was not a one-off.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/heal- ... rusts.html

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:03 am

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Nice press release. So you're saying you want to shoot for 58K?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:38 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:

Nice press release. So you're saying you want to shoot for 58K?

I think he is saying that the Kettle is dirtier than the Pot, which means that the Pot hiccup isn't so bad.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:12 pm

No, what I am saying is that Ned doesn't like health care reform in the U.S., so he points out that some people died in England. I countered with the fact that many more people die in the U.S. every year because of the lack of affordable health care.

What do you have to say about that, Sandi?

Return to “National Politics & Government”