Obamacare hiccup

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Obamacare hiccup

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Sandi wrote:If your in the

Sandi wrote: your employed by the taxpayers

It's fucking YOU'RE

Yes, this is attacking the message cause it makes you sound moronic.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Stebben84 wrote:...nothing...

I didn't finish high school. So sue me.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Sandi wrote:I didn't finish high school.

Most people (at least those smarter than a box of rocks) learn the difference between "your" and "you're" long before high school.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Jesus fucking crisis.

Now we're getting put-downs over grammatical errors?

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:36 pm

Well Huck, if someone's gonna go around accusing others of being ignorant (as Sandi did in another thread in respect to Bernie Sanders) then they ought to be a little more careful about displaying their own stupidity. And yeah, repeatedly misuing "your" and "you're" is willful ignorance, plain and simple.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:52 pm

I think purposely misusing "your" and "you're" is some sort of code among Republicans. It's similar to references to the "Democrat Party". It lets people know that you're in the fold.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Ex-GOP Operative’s Cancer Struggles Make Him An Obamacare Supporter

Murphy was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2000 but, after four rounds of chemotherapy (covered by his insurance), it had gone into remission by 2004. He wasn't in the clear quite though. Because his sleep apnea qualifies as a "pre-existing condition," Murphy explained to the Journal-Constitution, he currently has no insurance.
The 38-year-old Murphy now works in real estate and said he will enter Georgia's health insurance exchange when it opens in 2014. He doesn't think Obamacare is perfect, but said that Republicans "are not even participating in the process" to suggest improvements.

Funny how conservatives' tunes tend to change once a personal tragedy strikes.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Sandi wrote:In reality they bargain with themselves, because they get to sit at both sides of the table, and have automatic access to politicians through the collective-bargaining process.

Uhm, nope. That isn't the reality at all.

We only sit on one side of the table, and we don't have automatic access to any politicians. This concept you're presenting is simply not true. (If it was, we wouldn't have had to fight the city for decades in order to even be recognized as employees)

Plus your response didn't answer anything about this "uninterested party" you mentioned. Can you please clarify that? Thanks.

And for those who are pitching a fit over bad grammer/spelling/typos:Image

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Bland wrote:And yeah, repeatedly misuing "your" and "you're" is willful ignorance, plain and simple.

bold added by me, so I could say "ha-ha!"

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:28 pm

I should probably find a decent link to explain this more correctly, but here is my plea:

People frequently type-in words that sound similar to what they mean to say. The words might even be completely unrelated.

This is not a sign of stupidity or ignorance, it's a sign of thinking ahead and not paying close attention. It turns out when we process language, it goes through an aural part of the brain first, you grab a word that sounds roughly right. So you are thinking "are" and "our" mysteriously comes out of your fingers. It happens to me all the time when I am typing posts quickly online.

So when somebody types "their" instead of "they're", I don't give it a second thought. Hell, in an dashed-off email, I just wrote "game" when I meant "came"

This is a slightly different type of error than grammar mistakes. But the point is, unless people take time to proof-read chats and posts, all kinds of crud comes out, and it's due to working too quickly and spontaneously.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Huckleby wrote:But the point is, unless people take time to proof-read chats and posts, all kinds of crud comes out, and it's due to working to fast and spontaneously, not stupidity.

Unless the person in question consistently makes the same mistake over and over again. In that case the rest of the forum is morally obligated to verbally whack the crap out of 'em.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:35 pm

spoil the rod , spare the .... no

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:36 am

wack wack wrote:No calculation is needed to know

Of course not.

It never is with you, is it?

John Henry

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:42 am

wack wack wrote:I am asking the Waltons to turn Walmart into a co-op.

Isn't a co-op owned by the employees? If you think the Walmart employees should become owners, what mechanism do you see at work to accomplish that?

I can see only 2:

The Waltons give their stock to the employees

The employees buy the stock (company)

And if the Waltons were to give all of their stock to the employees, the employees would still not own Walmart. They would own less than half and would not only not own it, would not even control it.

Though with 40% they would have a strong voice.

So perhaps you can explain what you have in mind here?

John Henry

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:50 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Isn't a co-op owned by the employees?

Some are. They are called collectives. Such as Union Cab in Madison. But most are not. They are owned by their members, such as the UW Credit Union.

Woodman's and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel are employee owned, but not all have equal shares. And some employees have no ownership.

Return to “National Politics & Government”