Obamacare hiccup

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Obamacare hiccup

Postby DCB » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Who says anyone's being underpaid? These are entry-level jobs.

While flipping burgers used to be a part-time pocket-change job for teens, it's become a major employer of working families in the U.S. The Bureau of Labor Statistics says that two thirds of fast food workers are female; their median age is 32 years old.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/04/12 ... e-service/

Wouldn't want facts to get in your way Ned.

And as discussed in this thread, you can get by just fine working full-time at McDonalds, if you have a second job.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:47 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Who says anyone's being underpaid? These are entry-level jobs.

wack wack wrote:This is funny. Entry level to what?

Hey, I just learned that "entry level jobs" is an official new right-wing talking point. I'm sorry I asked for an explanation, Ned; I realize there is no explanation, you have no info beyond the bullet point on your daily memo.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:07 am

wack wack wrote:

This is funny. Entry level to what?

To a rewarding, successful career preaching the value of 'private enterprise', living on right-wing welfare and government healthcare!

In high school, the Badger State native worked on a series of entry-level jobs, including a stint on a grill at a local McDonald’s.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/08 ... z2ZyVQuyby

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:14 pm

Stebben84 wrote:

While flipping burgers used to be a part-time pocket-change job for teens, it's become a major employer of working families in the U.S. The Bureau of Labor Statistics says that two thirds of fast food workers are female; their median age is 32 years old.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/04/12 ... e-service/

Wouldn't want facts to get in your way Ned.

Well your article doesn't let the facts get in the way either. It has since been withdrawn.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/2 ... 72006.html

He later conceded it did not. McDonald's franchises make up more than 80 percent of McDonald's restaurants worldwide. This means that a majority of the payroll and employee benefits of McDonald's workers are not included in Morelix's findings.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Except that article I posted was refuting Ned's claim that these are entry level jobs. It had nothing to do with wages. Thanks for playing though.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:00 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Except that article I posted was refuting Ned's claim that these are entry level jobs. It had nothing to do with wages. Thanks for playing though.

So there was some sort of reading comprehension problem?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Go figure.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Except that article I posted was refuting Ned's claim that these are entry level jobs. It had nothing to do with wages. Thanks for playing though.

So what? You used a totally bogus article to refute Ned's claim.

Interesting.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Sandi wrote:So what? You used a totally bogus article to refute Ned's claim.

The link I provided was from an AOL staff person. The link you provided was from Huff Post. Nothing in either of those posts refutes the average age of a McDonald's worker. Plus, the Huff Post article was changed and all the AOL story said was:

A McDonald's spokesperson said the chain does not "comment on leaked information or information we believe is obtained through unauthorized means."

Two unrelated issues. Keep up Sandi.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:09 pm

My apologies stebben, you are right, I visit too many sites and had my links crossed.

However, your article does not "refuting Ned's claim that these are entry level jobs." Fast food jobs have always been an entry level job mostly done by young people, many still in high school.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Sandi wrote:Fast food jobs have always been an entry level job mostly done by young people, many still in high school.

Since I already linked to it this seems repetitive, but I'm game.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics says that two thirds of fast food workers are female; their median age is 32 years old.

Are 32 year old females entry level workers?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:23 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Are 32 year old females entry level workers?

Please look up the word "median." It does not mean the average age.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Sandi, go ahead and explain the difference between "median" and "average". I think you will soon find that the average age will be much higher than 32, unless we have millions of 5 year olds working at McDonald's.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:02 am

Galoot wrote:Sandi, go ahead and explain the difference between "median" and "average". I think you will soon find that the average age will be much higher than 32, unless we have millions of 5 year olds working at McDonald's.

Well I really don't care whether the average is 5, 32 or 50. It is an entry level job regardless of age. Or do you think people one day just decide that they want to have a career at McDonalds?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:52 am

I don't think they "decide." I think it happens to them, due to the fact in order to make a living wage (by McD's own numbers) they need to work 16 hours a day (that's 80 hours a week) and can't possibly get an education, improve themselves, and and move "up" under those circumstances.

In other words, these jobs provide an entry to nothing but more of the same, in perpetuity.

Return to “National Politics & Government”