What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:25 am

Bludgeon wrote: To me, I find it odds on likely that, sexuality being a lifestyle choice, a significant number of minors would habituate to the lifestyle choice of their parents.


I don't see how you think we can just flip the arousal switch.

"Well, Dad's gay so I might as well roll around in bed with another guy"

Is that what you think? You say "odds on." What odds? What are you basing this on?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9600
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:25 pm

And I'm failing to see why it's bad.

Why should we care whether a home influences sexual preference any more than we care whether a home influences a person's proclivity to watch NASCAR?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Bludgeon wrote: it's that sexuality is an important part of a person's life, if we are going to take an action as a society that statistically impacts the sexual orientation of (eventually) millions of people, that is a significant undertaking, unprecedented, and worth considering the ethical implications.


If sexuality is indeed developed by nurture and not nature, then this ISN'T unprecedented. Mommies and Daddies have obviously been influencing their kids to be hetero simply by raising them in a man and woman situation.

Bludgeon wrote:Standardizing gay marriage is new - the ramifications are new. The consequences will be new.


Gay couples have been raising kids for a while now. They just weren't married. These ramifications and consequences are already happening and as far as I can tell, there are no issues to talk about. I think you want there to be because deep down you don't want same sex couples raising kids. Otherwise you would have never started this thread.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9600
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Stebben84 wrote:as far as I can tell, there are no issues to talk about. I think you want there to be because deep down you don't want same sex couples raising kids.

Deep down?

grumpybear
Forum Addict
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:05 am
Location: near east side
Contact:

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby grumpybear » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Bludgeon wrote:
rabble wrote:Hey Bludgie. Is homesexuality a bad thing?

If not, why do we care whether a kid has more or less chance to become homosexual based on the home she's in?

If it's not a bad thing, why do you care what causes it?

It's not that I "care", it's that sexuality is an important part of a person's life, if we are going to take an action as a society that statistically impacts the sexual orientation of (eventually) millions of people, that is a significant undertaking, unprecedented, and worth considering the ethical implications. Standardizing gay marriage is new - the ramifications are new. The consequences will be new. To me, I find it odds on likely that, sexuality being a lifestyle choice, a significant number of minors would habituate to the lifestyle choice of their parents. Do we have a right to potentially impact their identity in such a fundamental way?

Bludge,
"Lifestyle choice?"
"You think a significant number of minors would habituate to the lifestyle choice (sic) of their parents."
Maybe you should explain this choice thing to the rest of us. I don't see the choice part.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9600
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:17 pm

grumpybear wrote:Maybe you should explain this choice thing to the rest of us. I don't see the choice part.

Well, see, being a homosexual is much more fun than hetero. You're more popular, people respect you, it's just BETTER.

So it shouldn't be a surprise that, after much thought and soul searching, so many people have chosen to be gay.

Then the Gay Agenda assimilates them, gives them their assignments, and distributes them among its secret network of autonomous cells.

grumpybear
Forum Addict
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:05 am
Location: near east side
Contact:

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby grumpybear » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:55 am

Sounds like the Borg, only better dressed.

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2014
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:54 am

rabble wrote:Well, see, being a homosexual is much more fun than hetero. You're more popular, people respect you, it's just BETTER.


On the other hand we have all sorts of people who go out of their way to alienate themselves from the general society.

One highly visible area is tattoos. Talking here not of the small discrete tattoo but the guys and gals who get massive sleeve tattoos, tattoos on their necks and faces and just generally use tattoos to generate a massive "fuck you" vibe. Piercings and other body modifications as well, though to a lesser and less permanent extent. (Good article on this here http://www.city-journal.org/html/5_4_oh_to_be.html )

I don't think that anyone would argue that this is not a choice or that they do this because of genetics.

Ditto other self-destructive behaviors that people choose to engage in. Drinking, whoring around (men and women) crime, drugs and a long list more. There are some long known genetic dispositions towards alcoholism but it is also at least partly a choice.

Why might not some people choose to be gay for similar reasons? "Hey society, you don't like homosexuality? Well fuck you. I am going to do this just to piss you off" Not saying that all, or even most gays do this. I mention it as one of many possible factors.

Or perhaps, since it seems a lot easier for gay men to get sex, they do it just because it is an easy way to get laid. Not much difference between a woman's and a man's mouth, is there? Why be fussy, take what is available with least hassle.

John Henry

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3247
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby wack wack » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:01 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:One highly visible area is tattoos. Talking here not of the small discrete tattoo but the guys and gals who get massive sleeve tattoos, tattoos on their necks and faces and just generally use tattoos to generate a massive "fuck you" vibe.
John Henry


A "fuck you" vibe to who? Society? We're long past that regarding tattoos and society.

They're not talking to you. They're speaking to others in their subculture with those tattoos.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9600
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby rabble » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:08 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
rabble wrote:Well, see, being a homosexual is much more fun than hetero. You're more popular, people respect you, it's just BETTER.


On the other hand we have all sorts of people who go out of their way to alienate themselves from the general society.

One highly visible area is tattoos.

Ah. So people sit down and first decide whether they want to alienate themselves from society, then decide whether they want to do it with tattoos or gayness.

Hey, man. I'm more alienated than you! I have tattoos!

No, man. I have become GAY!

Wow. I take it back. You are SO alienated. I'm going to become a gay guy with tattoos! Top that you follower of crowds!

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2014
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:21 pm

rabble wrote:Hey, man. I'm more alienated than you! I have tattoos!

No, man. I have become GAY!


The old "great taste, less filling" argument.

Why choose when you be both!


http://www.zombietime.com/folsom_sf_2007_part_1/IMG_6299.JPG

More graphic images here. CAUTION: NOT SAFE FOR WORK

http://www.zombietime.com/folsom_sf_200 ... /index.php

John Henry

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9600
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby rabble » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 pm

How John thinks:

Some gays are over the top. Therefore all people who are gay do it as a choice because they want to be like those people.

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2014
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:28 pm

wack wack wrote:They're not talking to you. They're speaking to others in their subculture with those tattoos.


Isn't that what I said?

That they are joining a subculture at the expense of joining than the mainstream culture.

Yes, society is more accepting of tattoos The ones I had in mind, like the people go get massively and visibly tattooed, often with images and verbiage that many people find off-putting or even offensive, seem to be trying to isolate themselves from the mainstream.

They may be fine in their subculture.

In the mainstream, when they try to get a job, for example, perhaps not so much.

What about you, Wack Wack. You got tattoos? (If I am not being too nosy)

John Henry

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7982
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison
Contact:

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:29 pm

I think this thread should be locked on account of stupid. Seems to be enough of a reason around here. Why not this one?

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2014
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:32 pm

rabble wrote:Some gays are over the top.


Key word in that sentence is "some", as I have repeatedly said.

You are the one who wants to lump ALL gays into a single category driven by a single mindset. I am the one who realizes that each one is unique individual.

So are these over the top gays (a minority) over the top because they are gay?

Or are they gay because it is another way to be over the top?

John Henry


Return to “National Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests