97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby DCB » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Sandi wrote:Except that your "pretty graph" is made up from fantasy. Try one from measured data.

The graph was created by the folks at Skeptical Science using data from the National Snow and Ice Data Center. I'd ask you explain why you think this data is 'fantasy', but right now their website is offline, due to the extreme weather events in Boulder.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:16 pm

America has a Poet Laureate. Why not a Science Lauereate?

There was a bill!
In fact, the bill had such broad support, the House bypassed committee votes and sent it straight to the floor, where it was expected to pass without incident.

Sounds good, right?
the American Conservative Union alleged that Obama would use the opportunity to politicize the position and use it for advocacy about "climate change and regulation of greenhouse gases.”

“It would still give scientists an opportunity to pontificate, and we’re opposed to it.”

Answer: Because well-heeled climate change deniers don't want scientists talking to the public. Because reality is scary.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:19 am

Oh, hey look-
More climate-change denialism nonsense debunked.
More facts from actual scientists for Sandi to ignore.

Getting to be a weekly event.....

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:03 pm

Global warming is just HALF what we said: World's top climate scientists admit computers got the effects of greenhouse gases wrong
Leaked report reveals the world is warming at half the rate claimed by IPCC in 2007

Scientists accept their computers 'may have exaggerated'

lThey recognise the global warming ‘pause’ first reported by The Mail on Sunday last year is real – and concede that their computer models did not predict it. But they cannot explain why world average temperatures have not shown any statistically significant increase since 1997.

lThey admit large parts of the world were as warm as they are now for decades at a time between 950 and 1250 AD – centuries before the Industrial Revolution, and when the population and CO2 levels were both much lower.

lThe IPCC admits that while computer models forecast a decline in Antarctic sea ice, it has actually grown to a new record high. Again, the IPCC cannot say why.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2f51cYoLZ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Yo. Ned. That one has already been debunked in the previous post.

From the article Ned posted:
"One of the report’s own authors, Professor Myles Allen, the director of Oxford University’s Climate Research Network, last night said this should be the last IPCC assessment – accusing its cumbersome production process of ‘misrepresenting how science works’."

Except Myles Allen never said that:

In his article, Rose quotes climate scientist Myles Allen:

One of the report’s own authors, Professor Myles Allen, the director of Oxford University’s Climate Research Network, last night said this should be the last IPCC assessment – accusing its cumbersome production process of ‘misrepresenting how science works’.

I have read some of Professor Allen’s writing before, and this statement surprised me. However, I also know Rose has a habit of getting things like this very wrong (like here and here and here and here), so I contacted Allen and asked him about the quote. He told me,

I did not talk to David Rose about the content of the IPCC report.

I did not say this should be the last IPCC report, I said that in my view producing a massive volume once every six years has become counterproductive. […] For what it is worth, I would favour much shorter annual update reports, plus special reports on specific issues...

Clearly, what Rose quotes Allen as saying, and what Allen actually said, are very different things.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:40 pm

Dear lord, Ned-
I rebutted this before you even posted it!
Here's the most relevant portion from my above link
On page 12 of the Summary for Policymakers, it says this:

Since IPCC’s first report in 1990, assessed projections have suggested global average temperature increases between about 0.15°C and 0.3°C per decade for 1990 to 2005. This can now be compared with observed values of about 0.2°C per decade, strengthening confidence in near-term projections.

That’s where Rose gets that 0.2°C number. Ah, but note the time range: 1990-2005. That’s a sixteen year time span, and a recent one.

If you look at page 5 of that same report, you’ll also see this statement [emphasis mine]:

The linear warming trend over the last 50 years (0.13°C [0.10°C to 0.16°C] per decade) is nearly twice that for the last 100 years.

Note the time range here: It’s actually over 50 years, and starts far earlier than the time range quoted for the 0.2° rise per decade. We know the Earth is warming faster now than it was a century (or five decades ago), so comparing a recent 16-year span to one that’s 50 years long and much older is grossly inappropriate. It’s apples to oranges. And in the second statement it actually says flat out that the more recent 50 years have warmed far faster than the 50 before them.
These are different things.

If the new report Rose is talking about says the increase since 1951 is 0.12°C per decade, then it’s off by only 8 percent from the earlier measurement of 0.13°. That sounds pretty dang accurate to me.

Is there any particular reason you insist on getting your science from The Daily Mail rather than a source with some actual scientific credibility? I enjoy watching you humiliate yourself regularly but I'd think you'd've grown tired of playing the ignorant clown by now.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Like the lamest of ducks, Ned is just phoning it in at this point.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Bland wrote:Is there any particular reason you insist on getting your science from The Daily Mail rather than a source with some actual scientific credibility?

You mean the gang that altered results and email? The group that willfully conspired to mislead the media and public?

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:00 pm

rabble wrote:Yo. Ned. That one has already been debunked in the previous post.

Literally right before. David Rose continues to publish falsehoods and distortions, even though his articles are always debunked.

In the Slate piece, the author points to several previous Rose articles that just complete bullshit. Take, for example, this one. Despite being exposed as a charlatan, the Daily Mail continues to let him publish.

Ned, the more you post articles by buffoons like Rose, the more desperate you look. Let us know when you run across some facts.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:25 pm

More Wizzardry.

Recently a group of researchers from Harvard and Oregon State University has published the first global temperature reconstruction for the last 11,000 years – that’s the whole Holocene (Marcott et al. 2013). The results are striking and worthy of further discussion, after the authors have already commented on their results in this blog.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/ar ... -holocene/

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:40 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:You mean the gang that altered results and email? The group that willfully conspired to mislead the media and public?

Ned, this is that abhorrent thing you do where you continue to claim as fact that which has already been disproved. There's a difference between being accused of something and actually being guilty of it. No matter how many times you repeat this falsehood, it will not make it any more true.
Besides, it's beyond laughable that you would suggest that you don't trust people who willfully lie and mislead when you continue posting articles by David Rose and The Daily Mail, both of whom have been proven repeatedly to be scientifically illiterate purveyors of falsehoods.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Ned, this is that abhorrent thing you do where you continue to claim as fact that which has already been disproved.

No such disapproval. The emails speak for themselves.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: David Rose and The Daily Mail, both of whom have been proven repeatedly to be scientifically illiterate purveyors of falsehoods.

Serial disinformer

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Disproved by whom?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:41 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Disproved by whom?
Scientists. Investigative journalists. People who've actually looked into it and don't just get their information in soundbite form. In other words, non-liars, unlike your sources.

Sandi wrote:The emails speak for themselves.
They sure do.
You should actually read them all, in context, instead of just the parts that say what you want to hear.

You two are a joke.

Return to “National Politics & Government”