97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Roy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:35 pm

HawkHead wrote:The study's authors said island nations needed to find creative solutions to adapt to climate change that take into account their homeland's evolving geography.

Suggestions included moving populations onto larger islands and atolls, which have proved the most stable and likely to grow as seas rise.

So it's not that sea level isn't rising. It's that more sediments are being deposited on the islands because of change sea patterns due to rising sea levels.

It is a combination of sea level rise and land subsidence. More often than not the latter.

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:51 pm

@HawkHead;

but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, what about the Maldives being engulfed, as we speak, by rising SL's caused by the Global Warming that's here and worse than the models predicted???

Recall the real real scary, tear-inducing 2009 Maldives Cabinet Meeting held underwater?

''President Mohammed Nasheed and his ministers sat before desks in scuba gear to discuss the forthcoming submergence of their country, due to global warming.''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/colu ... stunt.html

It's reported that Fat Albert would have attended, but declined out of fear he may have been mistaken for a whale and harpooned by the Japanese.

Anywho, that moronic stunt, I mean desperate plea for help got some monumental lunatics to give them $500,000,000 in "Climate Reparations,'' whatever the fuck those are.

Soooooo, did they take that swag and move all their shit to higher ground?

Not exactly.

They used it to build airports and golf courses to attractf "fly-in'' golfers. "Fly-in" golfers? How are they going to get there, wind-sled, gossamer wings, magic carpet?

Let that sink in, the Maldives pleads for half a bill to save it from SL rise due to increased atmospheric CO2 concentrations, gets it, THEN uses it to build facilities that will increase atmospheric CO2 concentrations even further.

http://tomnelson.blogspot.com/2011/09/t ... nsfer.html

Honestly, is that not seriously fucked up?

Brr!!!

The Gotch

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Keep Using The 97 % Global Warming Consensus Meme...

Postby penquin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:08 am

Cadfael wrote:

Hadn't heard this song nor this band before. Good stuff - thanks for sharing

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:10 am

Which countries are going to weather climate change better than others?
The US looks like it'll do pretty good but it's only thirteenth in the list. Norway wins the top spot, "thanks to its low vulnerability score and high readiness score."
Here's the list of the 192 countries ranked.
The map and list make it fairly plain why the one percent aren't too worried. The fallout will come mostly in the form of refugees, loss of habitat (and its resultant loss of labor forces as areas become unlivable), but most of the hardest hit countries (scores below 40) don't have the resources to mount a real invasion. As the score rises to the fifties it looks like some of those countries could, especially if they joined forces.

But it also looks like Australia and Japan will be invaded first. Most of the gated communities will be fine. The rich will probably have to shift around a little but their primary issues will be the logistics of where their starvation wage factories and mines are, now that some areas have become wasteland.

All we'll have to worry about is our southern border and I don't think a wall is going to be quite enough.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:51 am

I wonder about Europe. I've read that the ice melting in the Arctic and Greenland may shut down the Gulf Stream at some point. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Europe during winter if that happens.

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:55 am

@gargantua;

I've read that the ice melting in the Arctic and Greenland may shut down the Gulf Stream at some point. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Europe during winter if that happens.

Oooooh! Now THAT'S real real scary!

Which do you prefer for head covering: Reynolds Wrap™ or Alcoa™?

Brrr!!!

The Gotch

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:12 am

gargantua wrote:I wonder about Europe. I've read that the ice melting in the Arctic and Greenland may shut down the Gulf Stream at some point. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Europe during winter if that happens.

Not to mention that Europe has a really long border along countries that aren't going to do well no matter what happens to the gulf stream.

My money's on Canada. Aside from that pesky US border, all they have to worry about are coastlines.

And let us not forget that Florida and much of the south coast is affected by the gulf stream. It's an interesting logic puzzle to predict where the snowphobes will migrate if the south has a midwest winter.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:57 pm

In the other thread, Roy linked to an article from "International Business Times" about some researchers at UCSD who study ultraviolet radiation from stars. Their research leads them to expect that the Sun will be entering a "grand solar minimum" next decade.

The lead author of the study (Dan Lubin) makes it quite clear that even such a grand minimum would not be enough to counteract manmade global warming:

Lubin said that an upcoming grand minimum would not stop the current trend of planetary warming but might slow it somewhat. That’s because the cooling effect of a grand minimum is only a fraction of the warming effect caused by the increasing concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

For some reason Roy doesn't want to hear that part of it.

This is all an exact repetition of a similar exchange from a few years ago in this thread. Roy quoted an article about another solar physicist (Mike Lockwood) making the exact same "grand solar minimum" claim. But he carefully avoided including these parts from the article:

But Lockwood says we should not expect a new grand minimum to bring on a new little ice age. Human-induced global warming, he says, is already a more important force in global temperatures than even major solar cycles. Temperatures have risen by 0.85 °C since 1880, with more expected, according to the most recent assessment of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

[...]

“Mike is probably right that there is a chance of the sun returning to a level of activity similar to the Maunder Minimum,” says atmospheric physicist Joanna Haigh of Imperial College. But she adds: “Even under the most optimistic scenario [of minimal global warming and a deep solar minimum] the solar cooling would only just offset greenhouse gas warming. So no ice age.”

It is more likely that it will simply reduce the warming a little, and set us up for greater warming if it receded.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... yJStMfNvs0

Bottom line: don't trust anything Roy posts. He makes a habit of citing research that actually contradicts his own claims, if one bothers to follow the links.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Weather Bob wrote:The lead author of the study (Dan Lubin) makes it quite clear that even such a grand minimum would not be enough to counteract manmade global warming

Umm would that be with or without the adjustments to cool the past and warm the present?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:48 pm

Roy wrote:
Weather Bob wrote:The lead author of the study (Dan Lubin) makes it quite clear that even such a grand minimum would not be enough to counteract manmade global warming

Umm would that be with or without the adjustments to cool the past and warm the present?

We've been through all this many times before. Don't waste your time folks, other people have already wasted theirs on this very thread. Roy either forgets (not likely) or chooses to ignore it (very likely).

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Garg, I do not ignore facts: that is what the alarmists do.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Roy wrote:Garg, I do not ignore facts: that is what the alarmists do.

:D

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 pm

You and I will have to agree to disagree. Glad you're back.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 am

Cadfael wrote:All we'll have to worry about is our southern border and I don't think a wall is going to be quite enough.

a moat?

so with all the water trouble brewing in the west and what could happen with one multi-year drought after another on the plains such as crop failures and the like, it is still good enough for 13th place? not to mention what a 70 kilopascal, 500 km/h hurricane would do to just about anything it hits . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:59 am

gargantua wrote:

You and I will have to agree to disagree. Glad you're back.

me too

Return to “National Politics & Government”