97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby rabble » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:17 am

gargantua wrote:
rabble wrote:And if everybody on both sides agrees we're getting warmer, what are the non-warmenists disagreeing with?

That it is caused by human activity I suppose.

Nope. In Sandi's link, the sentence right after
"• that human activities have warmed the planet to some unspecified extent."
he says "Almost everybody involved in the climate debate, including the majority of sceptics, accepts these propositions"

So I'm a little confused. They agree we're warming, they agree humans have a hand in it but damn, those warmists are so stupid.

It might be because they believe humans have less effect on it than we think, but the vitriol they spew seems out of proportion if all we're arguing about is the degree of effect.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 am

rabble wrote:So I'm a little confused. They agree we're warming, they agree humans have a hand in it but damn, those warmists are so stupid.

"They" meaning who? I hope you're not conflating mine and Sandi's arguments. Rather than join in with all the link wars, I merely drop by occasionally when I'm in the mood for commentary. I'm not interested in the endless spree of counterpoints.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:44 am

Bludgeon wrote:
rabble wrote:So I'm a little confused. They agree we're warming, they agree humans have a hand in it but damn, those warmists are so stupid.

"They" meaning who? I hope you're not conflating mine and Sandi's arguments. Rather than join in with all the link wars, I merely drop by occasionally when I'm in the mood for commentary. I'm not interested in the endless spree of counterpoints.

Actually it looks more like you drop by when you're in the mood to insult but if you want to call it "commentary," feel free.

So. You don't agree with those two points then?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:02 am

So I'm a little confused. They agree we're warming, they agree humans have a hand in it but damn, those warmists are so stupid.

It might be because they believe humans have less effect on it than we think, but the vitriol they spew seems out of proportion if all we're arguing about is the degree of effect.

It's not you who's confused, not really. It's the anti-warmenists. What they don't realize is their authorities have basically conceded. They don't want to admit it (or even realize it) because their whole purpose is to remain in FUD and stay all self-righteous, arrogant, and angry, not to arrive at any rational conclusion. But basically, the show is over.

What I can't figure out is the original purpose of the whole exercise. To prove only god creates climate? To defend the ever-increasing use of carbon based fuel on behalf of the coal industry? To fight back against having to change any personal transportation or thermostat-setting habits? Who knows? Who cares?

Poof. They're gone.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:38 am

Bludgeon wrote:As usual with conversations about this subject, I don't see much substantiation for the argument you are making.

Of course not. You're blinded by your 'anti-progressive' ideology.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:40 am

Grab your parkas, kids!

And now it's global COOLING! Record return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 60% in a year

A chilly Arctic summer has left nearly a million more square miles of ocean covered with ice than at the same time last year – an increase of 60 per cent.

The rebound from 2012’s record low comes six years after the BBC reported that global warming would leave the Arctic ice-free in summer by 2013.

Instead, days before the annual autumn re-freeze is due to begin, an unbroken ice sheet more than half the size of Europe already stretches from the Canadian islands to Russia’s northern shores.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2eP1onJm1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:52 am

My god! Everything's going to be okay!

Of course, that ice sheet is much thinner than what was there before, it's only in some regions, and the deepest parts of Antarctica are still warming. Oh, and sea levels are still rising at a rate of 3.2 millimeters a year.

But in some places there's more ice. So never mind.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:56 am

I don't know what the hell Ned is talking about, but it is certainly significantly warmer today than it was yesterday at my house. Global warming is ON, and from my perspective temperatures are rising at an alarming rate.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:41 am

Some eminent scientists now believe the world is heading for a period of cooling that will not end until the middle of this century

Who are 'some eminent scientists'? Well, OK, its one guy:
Professor Anastasios Tsonis, of the University of Wisconsin,

One of our own!
Hmm, is this a lone crank doing shoddy work? or did the Daily Mail distort his research findings? You'll be pleased to learn that its the latter:
In the paper, SGT make a point to highlight the same argument made by themselves and others in response to specious (denialist) claims that their findings mean anthropogenic warming is as a result less of a concern:
Viewed in this light, the lack of modeled compared to observed interdecadal variability may indicate that current models underestimate climate sensitivity.

(emphasis mine).

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:50 pm

Oops-a-daisy!

Record return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 60% in a year

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:02 pm

wack wack wrote:I don't know what the hell Ned is talking about,

I'm sure he doesn't, either.
Both articles claimed that Arctic sea ice extent grew 60 percent in August 2013 as compared to August 2012. While this factoid is technically true, it's also largely irrelevant.

The key point is that DM is making up an entire 'global cooling' argument out a single data point: the change in ice over one year. The picture is pretty different if you look back a few years.

Here is a nice graph to explain their stupidity:

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:35 pm

That Guardian piece does a good job of explaining why Sandi and Ned and the less-beholden-to-reality British pubs (Mail, Telegraph) got it stupidly wrong as usual.

Nuccitelli wrote:These two articles at the Mail on Sunday and Telegraph continue the unfortunate trend of shoddy climate reporting in the two periodicals, particularly from David Rose. They suffer from cherry picking short-term data while ignoring the long-term human-caused trends, misrepresenting climate research, repeating long-debunked myths, and inventing IPCC meetings despite being told by climate scientists that these claims are pure fiction.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Ducatista wrote:That Guardian piece does a good job of explaining why Sandi and Ned and the less-beholden-to-reality British pubs (Mail, Telegraph) got it stupidly wrong as usual.

There is plenty of cherry-picking by warenists as well, so get off yer also stupidly wrong high horse.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Sandi wrote:
Ducatista wrote:That Guardian piece does a good job of explaining why Sandi and Ned and the less-beholden-to-reality British pubs (Mail, Telegraph) got it stupidly wrong as usual.

There is plenty of cherry-picking by warenists as well, so get off yer also stupidly wrong high horse.

Ahem.

Return to “National Politics & Government”