97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Sandi » Sat May 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Some of the inaccuracies are laughable. For instance, Carter cites a palaeotemperature reconstruction as evidence that the Medieval Warm Period was warmer than the late 20th century, even though it only provides temperature data up to 1935.

That the Medieval Warm Period was warmer than the late 20th century is well known. It preceded the ice age, and I doubt that there is any dispute on it. Bob Ward at the Guardian is dissembling.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat May 18, 2013 6:49 pm

wunderground.com wrote:WASHINGTON -- Global warming is already changing America from sea to rising sea and is affecting how Americans live, a massive new federally commissioned report says.

Stebben, climate change ( and it always changes ) will always affect humans as well as all life on earth. It has been that way forever.

The warminists always concentrate on changes that will make life worse, or difficult, and dare not mention the benefits. For instance most Artic and subarctic species will benefit because they will be able to expand their range. Greenland will be able to grow many crops like the USA instead of just potatoes and herbs. Growing seasons here in the USA will be extended too. All plant life benefits from an increase in CO2.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:56 pm

It's heartwarming to know you know more than smart people.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat May 18, 2013 6:57 pm

I think you've got an excellent shot at a second career writing for The Onion, Sandi.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat May 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Bob Inglis is a Republican who got pretty much straight A's from all the right Right groups, like the NRA, before his stance on global warming got him swept out in the Tea Party slam of 2010.

He thinks it's possible to sway his party. To date, he's only had any luck with younger Republicans. But he's pluggin away.

Maybe he'll gain some ground. But he's fighting a whole lot of Sandis out there.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat May 18, 2013 7:21 pm

rabble,

A carbon tax has nothing to do with global warming. Washington is always looking for a new way to raise revenue, carbon tax is a good candidate.

Nor will a carbon tax make more than a speck of difference in CO2 levels, if any. However it will impose a hardship on the middle and lower classes.

Edit: To add...

Inglis starts with the notion that conservatives will only accept a tax on carbon emissions if every dollar of revenue is used to cut taxes elsewhere — say, corporate taxes or income taxes. “We have to be absolutely clear that we’re not trying to grow the size of government,” he says.

Wow, that makes no sense. Reduce taxes on corporations and stick it to the middle and poor. Easy to see why Inglis got booted out of office.

alpuz

Postby alpuz » Sat May 18, 2013 8:04 pm

"Greenland will be able to grow many crops like the USA instead of just potatoes and herbs. Growing seasons here in the USA will be extended too. All plant life benefits from an increase in CO2."

This may be the dumbest fuckin' thing i've ever read on the internets.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat May 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Sandi wrote: The warminists always concentrate on changes that will make life worse, or difficult, and dare not mention the benefits.

I suppose one should always look on the bright side of life.

There are some short-term benefits to global warming. The big picture is not attractive.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat May 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Huck, if you don't have anything to add to the discussion, trolling and flaming only makes you look immature.

alpuz

Postby alpuz » Sat May 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Apparently Sandi, is not a Monty Python fan.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat May 18, 2013 9:10 pm

I wasn't inspired to expound on the perils of global warming, which would make the benefits side of your ledger look silly. So I cut to the quick.

I think being the butt of a joke is probably less painful than wading through one of my essays, so you came out ahead.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat May 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Huckleby wrote:I think being the butt of a joke is probably less painful than wading through one of my essays, so you came out ahead.

Oh c'mon, Huck. Sandi has no problem wading through essays. She trusts everything she reads on Drudge, Newsmax, FoxNews and the Free Republic. She's not averse to gathering information, she's just averse to considering any information that she doesn't already agree with. She's a true believer, Huck. You're trying to trick her and she's onto your shenanigans.

you must be joking
Forum Addict

Postby you must be joking » Sun May 19, 2013 7:05 am

Okay, for those of you that believe Global Warming is man made by man-made greenhouse gases is the burning of oil and gas to power vehicles, machinery, and produce energy and warmth, what are the alternatives to solving the problem?

Many have come up with the "Problem" but what are the solutions? Or perhaps more correctly: By what methodology can we solve the "problem" and how much are you personally willing to sacrifice in order to solve the "problem"?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun May 19, 2013 7:21 am

you must be joking wrote: Many have come up with the "Problem" but what are the solutions? Or perhaps more correctly: By what methodology can we solve the "problem" and how much are you personally willing to sacrifice in order to solve the "problem"?

You ask a good question. But until you remove the quote marks around "problem", it really is not possible to make progress. We live in a democracy with checks and balances to protect minority opinion. Tackling large problems requires a bipartisan effort, otherwise the obstructing party can gain power by demagoguing painful proposals.

As long as Republicans are the party of cheap gas and don't worry about tomorrow, there is nothing I am willing to do. The AGW deniers have to be defeated, that is step one.

BTW, dealing with global warming is not all economic pain, it's not a zero sum game.

Return to “National Politics & Government”