97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby DCB » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:41 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:*looks like admin is having a little fun with us. Keeps auto-correcting the t-word to pixie.

pixie pixie pixie pixie.

Yep. That's gonna kill all my Mt. Horeb threads.

Its hell on our Tolkien discussion.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:41 pm

Sandi wrote:Too bad admin is also clueless on how to run a forum.

Well, when you run a forum with about 4 people it must be easy, eh Sandi? Seems like everyone is a troll here but you.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Sandi wrote:Too bad admin is also clueless on how to run a forum.

Well, when you run a forum with about 4 people it must be easy, eh Sandi? Seems like everyone is a pixie here but you.

Well she can't stop being a troll now

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Well she can't stop being a troll now

Hey, how the hell were you able to write the t-word.

And when I quoted you, it changed to pixie. Ahhhhh, WTF is going on.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:15 pm

Anyone remember when Nazi was changed to snazzie?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:50 pm

It turns out warmenist is a word, sort of. And here I thought Sandi just couldn't spell.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =Warmenist

It might not mean what she wishes it meant, but I can't help that.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Glad to oblige, rabble. I don't think she'll read what you're saying, but your point is worth reinforcing.

rabble wrote:
Would anyone mind quoting me so Sandi can see that her post:
Sandi wrote:This peer reviewed paper at Sage Publications shows the silliness of this thread title.

Only 36 percent of geoscientists and engineers believe that humans are creating a global warming crisis.

actually proves nothing of the sort? and the authors have said as much:
First and foremost, our study is not a representative survey. Although our data set is large and diverse enough for our research questions, it cannot be used for generalizations such as “respondents believe …” or “scientists don’t believe …”

...There is no mention that all the study’s respondents were only in Alberta, Canada. There is no mention that they’re all members of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA). There is no mention that the membership of APEGA is predominantly employed by the Alberta petroleum industry and its regulators. And there is no mention that the authors repeatedly and specifically write in their study that their results are not applicable beyond the respondents and members of APEGA. As the study’s authors say, their results are not representative of scientists in general.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:11 pm

I guess that just goes to my earlier point about how money is corrupting our information and politics. Sandi bought that link hook, line and sinker, and why shouldn't she have? It confirmed what she already believes to be true (which is actually the only kind of information most people like) and it was persuasive. It's not like it was "accidentally" misleading. The author played their role and Sandi played hers.

It's just too bad that truth and the common good aren't more of a priority. You'd think that saving the planet, as melodramatic as that may sound to some people, would be more important than making sure some billionaires make even more money, but that's just not the case. Maybe if I were on the receiving end of some of that cash flow I'd feel differently. But I'm not. And neither is Sandi.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:58 pm

pjbogart wrote: Maybe if I were on the receiving end of some of that cash flow I'd feel differently. But I'm not. And neither is Sandi.

Yeah, but but but. I'm still flummoxed. Sandi is the queen of the condescending "Google is your friend" snarks. She says it over and over. Five minutes on google would have shown her how easily that article got knocked down.

It's not money and it ain't stupidity. She's been a little over the top lately but she ain't stupid yet. And yet it appears she honestly believes the stuff she throws out.

I'm unable to fathom it.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:59 am

rabble wrote:
pjbogart wrote: Maybe if I were on the receiving end of some of that cash flow I'd feel differently. But I'm not. And neither is Sandi.

Yeah, but but but. I'm still flummoxed. Sandi is the queen of the condescending "Google is your friend" snarks. She says it over and over. Five minutes on google would have shown her how easily that article got knocked down.

It's not money and it ain't stupidity. She's been a little over the top lately but she ain't stupid yet. And yet it appears she honestly believes the stuff she throws out.

I'm unable to fathom it.

Me either.

All I can think is that she is so old and set in her ways that she sees herself as unchangeable and therefore anyone who shows that what she believes is incorrect is an attack on her being.

It would also explain why she thinks everyone is a troll and all of her silly sayings that she then turns around and breaks like the "you have nothing so you attack the messenger you liberal piece of crap" posts.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:29 am

The really important thing is: if you type pixie, does it change into troll? Or does it only work one way?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:32 am

Got my answer. I think the word troll being turned into troll is a lot of fun, and I plan to say troll more than ever. Oh, and climate change? It's real. Just staying on topic my friends.

How's this? Tuh-roll.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:45 am

Troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll
MUSHROOM!

EEEK a snake!

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:08 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:
Unreferenced and unattributed? You sure? You didn't see up in the upper left hand corner where it said Hadlycru?

Yes, I saw that. It tells me nothing. Which of the various data sets is it from? why is only from 1998? who did the analysis? where was it published? If you're going to make a scientific statement, those details matter.

What you showed was Some Graph plotted by Some Guy's Website and published on Some Other Guy's Website.

johnfajardohenry wrote:Here is another version, shows the same thing. Declining temps since 1998. Not a pause. Not stable.

Declining.
Well, at least you got the attribution right. Its your interpretation that's messed up. You can draw a straight line through any two points but that doesn't make it meaningful. Again, if you're making a scientific statement, details matter.

At the risk of repeating a point that has is repeatedly repeated in every honest scientific discussion, short term trends are not meaningful.

The short term trend of a scant .1 deg. C decline over the past 10 years isn't really meaningful. The longer term 1.0 deg C increase over the past 100 years is.

johnfajardohenry wrote:Or is it just one more of the many predictions and causes and effects these climate scientists got wrong?

John Henry
No, its not, since no serious scientist has claimed that 'surface temperatures will increase monotonically'.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Senator Sunspots is having a fit
Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) said in an email blast Tuesday that a green group is on an “environmental jihad” against him.
“They are declaring political war and they'll do or say anything to defeat me,” Johnson said.

The League of Conservation Voters is targeting four Republicans who don't accept reality. Apparently Johnson doesn't deny that he is a climate change denier. He's just taking issue with the LCV for letting voters know about his anti-science position.

Return to “National Politics & Government”