97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:29 am

Ducatista wrote:Right. Are you the dumb-ass kind of con who circulates a Washington Free Beacon tale believing it's accurate, or are you the soulless kind of con who knows you're pedaling shit, but you do it anyway? Either way: weak.

So what actually happened?

1) They tried to give a rally and nobody came?

2) They gave a rally and people did come?

3) There was no rally ever planned or announced?

C'mon Duc. Give us the straight poop.

John Henry

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:35 am

Oh, noes! We're all going to freeze!

Global temps since 1998 with trend line. Downward sloping trend line.

John Henry

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:38 am

wack wack wrote:
Sandi wrote:This peer reviewed paper at Sage Publications shows the silliness of this thread title.

Only 36 percent of geoscientists and engineers believe that humans are creating a global warming crisis.

However trollers continue on, I will just sit back and grin.

I bet you thought nobody would actually read it, didn't you?

The paper seems to suggest that changes in opinion are due to financial and political reasons, not science.

Indeed, while there is a broad consensus among climate scientists (IPCC, 2007a, 2007b), scepticism regarding anthropogenic climate change remains. The proportion of papers found in the ISI Web of Science database that explicitly endorsed anthropogenic climate change has fallen from 75% (for the period between 1993 and 2003) as of 2004 to 45% from 2004 to 2008, while outright disagreement has risen from 0% to 6% (Oreskes, 2004; Schulte, 2008). This drop in endorsement may be a manifestation of increasing taken-for-grantedness (e.g., Green, 2004) of anthropogenic climate science; the rise in disagreement may be a result of increased funding of sceptics by fossil fuel industries, conservative foundations and think tanks (McCright & Dunlap, 2010).

Also, the studied population, although described in the abstract as "geoscientists and engineers," is more thoroughly described in the body as
...professional experts in petroleum and related industries.

This is a small subset of the population creating the papers surveyed in the study that launched this thread. Moreover, their individual stances are not at issue--the researchers are interested in how their stance on climate change relates to their need to claim expert status. This is why the two authors focus on petroleum industry-based engineers and scientists--they are they ones in the minority on the question, and thus have the greatest need to assert their scientific bone fides.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:40 am

Sandi wrote:
1. First of all CO2 is not carbon pollution, or for that matter, a pollution of any kind. It is a necessity for all plant life.

Hope they run it a lot, it can only make the warmenists look like idiots.

It's for the plant life.

By the way, what's a "warmenist"

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:12 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Oh, noes! We're all going to freeze!

John Henry

Another unattributed, unreferenced graph from some crank's web site. Huh.

In reality world, we know that 1998 was one of the warmest years on record, that temperatures have roughly stabilized at these historically high surface temperatures since then, that 15 years isn't really useful for drawing significant conclusions, and that the full historical record shows that surface temperatures have warmed significantly over the last 100 years.

Obviously increasing CO2 concentrations have been warming the earth. Since surface temperatures haven't changed much in the past decade, it is reasonable to conclude that the heat has largely been absorbed by the ocean.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Sandi wrote:Obama for America "Climate Change Day of Action Rally" garners zero attendees.

Right. Are you the dumb-ass kind of con who circulates a Washington Free Beacon tale believing it's accurate, or are you the soulless kind of con who knows you're pedaling shit, but you do it anyway? Either way: weak.

And if the latter, is she trying to con us, or herself?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:50 pm

John Henry

It's too bad for ol' JH that Statisticians reject global cooling.
"If you look at the data and sort of cherry-pick a microtrend within a bigger trend, that technique is particularly suspect," said John Grego, a professor of statistics at the University of South Carolina.

I'd argue that not only the technique is suspect, but also the perpetrators of such techniques (and, similarly, the continual disseminators of the results).

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:25 pm

DCB wrote:

John Henry

Another unattributed, unreferenced graph from some crank's web site. Huh.

Unreferenced and unattributed? You sure? You didn't see up in the upper left hand corner where it said Hadlycru?

Here is another version, shows the same thing. Declining temps since 1998. Not a pause. Not stable.

Declining.

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/HadCRUT4.png

The graph seems to display truncated here. Click it or the link to show to 2013

And yet CO2 has risen over the 0.04% level!!! How can this be?

Or is it just one more of the many predictions and causes and effects these climate scientists got wrong?

John Henry

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Somebody didn't check out DCB's link.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:33 pm

DCB wrote:
Ducatista wrote:
Sandi wrote:Obama for America "Climate Change Day of Action Rally" garners zero attendees.

Right. Are you the dumb-ass kind of con who circulates a Washington Free Beacon tale believing it's accurate, or are you the soulless kind of con who knows you're pedaling shit, but you do it anyway? Either way: weak.

And if the latter, is she trying to con us, or herself?

Well again the name callers with no answers or other options take over a thread. Too bad admin is also clueless on how to run a forum.

Maybe I should put the mentally bankrupt on ignore.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Sandi wrote:Maybe I should put the mentally bankrupt on ignore.

Why not pull out the big guns (permanent ignore)?
Sandi wrote:Permanant Ignore for cock eater.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Sandi wrote:Maybe I should put the mentally bankrupt on ignore.

Translation: If you keep coming up with rebuttals to my drivel, I ignore you.

Would anyone mind quoting me so Sandi can see that her post:
Sandi wrote:This peer reviewed paper at Sage Publications shows the silliness of this thread title.

Only 36 percent of geoscientists and engineers believe that humans are creating a global warming crisis.

actually proves nothing of the sort? and the authors have said as much:
First and foremost, our study is not a representative survey. Although our data set is large and diverse enough for our research questions, it cannot be used for generalizations such as “respondents believe …” or “scientists don’t believe …”

...There is no mention that all the study’s respondents were only in Alberta, Canada. There is no mention that they’re all members of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA). There is no mention that the membership of APEGA is predominantly employed by the Alberta petroleum industry and its regulators. And there is no mention that the authors repeatedly and specifically write in their study that their results are not applicable beyond the respondents and members of APEGA. As the study’s authors say, their results are not representative of scientists in general.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:23 pm

I just like to say some of us have put the mentally bankrupt on ignore, so is it necessary to keep quoting her?

oh wtf am I talking about, that shit is comedy gold.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Sandi wrote:
I prefer to tackle climate change and be correct, an answer you didn't allow for.

How do we tackle it then. I'm bumping this one since all you seem to do is call people a bugaboo* and not answer questions.

Also, what's a "warmenist"

*looks like admin is having a little fun with us. Keeps auto-correcting the t-word to pixie.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Stebben84 wrote:*looks like admin is having a little fun with us. Keeps auto-correcting the t-word to pixie.

bugaboo bugaboo bugaboo bugaboo.

Yep. That's gonna kill all my Mt. Horeb threads.

Return to “National Politics & Government”