97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2637
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Sandi » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:15 pm

Joe. He said, she said is all your got

What you fail ( and all warmists ) to do is show a paper where x amount sea level rise is caused by man using scientific evidence.

BTW it is the same problem with CO2. I don't deny that some part of sea level rise, or CO2 for that matter is human caused. Before any cures can be addressed, we need to know the true sensitivity ( amounts ) of each humans are causing.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3643
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby jman111 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:57 pm

Sandi would like you to believe that we should determine exactly how many fires are caused by humans before we extinguish any fires.

Who can argue with "logic" like that?
Last edited by jman111 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1388
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Bland » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:05 pm

Sandi wrote:He said, she said is all your got
Actually, what he's got is science. You know, that thing you claim to understand and believe but clearly just ignore when what it tells us doesn't suit you.....

Every single time you get schooled (as you just were) you just plug your ears and pretend it never happened. But everyone else notices and remembers. And given your track record of getting everything wrong all the time and yet never acknowledging it, you surely must know by now that your arguments will never be taken seriously here. So why do you keep coming back for more? (This is a serious question, as I'm actually concerned for your sanity.)

Sandi wrote:warmists

Can't you even pick a single derogatory name and only use that?
Also, aren't you the lady who is always yelling at everyone for hurling insults and being rude?

JoeT
Forum Addict
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:34 am
Contact:

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby JoeT » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Sandi wrote:Joe. He said, she said is all your got

What you fail ( and all warmists ) to do is show a paper where x amount sea level rise is caused by man using scientific evidence.

BTW it is the same problem with CO2. I don't deny that some part of sea level rise, or CO2 for that matter is human caused. Before any cures can be addressed, we need to know the true sensitivity ( amounts ) of each humans are causing.


As for that "he said, she said" stuff, let me remind you that it is YOU who asked me to explain the WUWT statements and how it relates to the Jevrejeva paper. This is on top of my having to explain to you what acceleration is and what conclusion the paper gave about that acceleration. This was a paper that you linked to, and whose basic results about that acceleration was given in the abstract --- an abstract that you didn't bother to even read.

What I showed you is that the WUWT and CO2 Science statements were either grossly incompetent or deliberately fraudulent. The polite thing for you to have done is to say, "thank you" for my efforts. You couldn't even muster that.

As to how sea level rise is caused by man is given in the Javrejeva (2009) paper, whose title and abstract I posted. In the paper they show how the known forcings by solar, volcanic, greenhouse gases and aerosols accounts for the sea level rise that has been thoroughly analyzed by other Javrejeva papers using tidal gauge data and benchmarked against satellite altimetry. Why don't you go read that paper and summarize the results in this forum.

And calling me names doesn't actually help your argument or make me at all sympathetic in wanting to explain something to you again.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby rabble » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:51 pm

I think the problem is that this "open mind" thing only works one way. If you're a warmenist, and you keep an open mind, eventually you become a denierist.

Then that's it. No return trip. Mind slams shut like a steel trap.

Krugman's latest column talks about it.
The problem, in other words, isn’t ignorance; it’s wishful thinking. Confronted with a conflict between evidence and what they want to believe for political and/or religious reasons, many people reject the evidence. And knowing more about the issues widens the divide, because the well informed have a clearer view of which evidence they need to reject to sustain their belief system.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9650
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm
Contact:

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Sandi wrote:Why don't you find out the facts BEFORE you post.
By the way, it's always hilarious to hear statements like this from people who deny the findings of the world's leading researchers. It's almost as if they can't see how ridiculous they sound.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby rabble » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Sandi wrote:Joe. He said, she said is all your got

What you fail ( and all warmists ) to do is show a paper where x amount sea level rise is caused by man using scientific evidence.

BTW it is the same problem with CO2. I don't deny that some part of sea level rise, or CO2 for that matter is human caused. Before any cures can be addressed, we need to know the true sensitivity ( amounts ) of each humans are causing.

Well, at least we got that "debunked" thing out of the way.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12975
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:19 pm

This is a milestone, I guess. Now Sandi says SOME of the sea level rise or CO2 [increase] is caused by human activities and wants to know how much.

Better than saying the sea level isn't rising and people should all go buy North Carolina beachfront.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Global climate change solution still possible ... but barely, says report
On one hand, I'm heartened that it isn't already too late. I thought we passed the tipping point some time ago but apparently we're only just getting there.

On the other hand, there ain't a snowball's chance in hell that anybody's even going to try.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6095
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm
Contact:

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby kurt_w » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:41 am

Sandi wrote:I don't deny that some part of [...] CO2 for that matter is human caused. Before any cures can be addressed, we need to know the true sensitivity ( amounts ) of each humans are causing.

OK. Here is atmospheric CO2 concentration over the past 1000 years:

Image
Sources here and here.

Before humans started burning coal and oil, atmospheric CO2 concentration oscillated between 275 and 285 parts per million. It is now at 400 parts per million and rising rapidly.

Or, to get even more quantitative (source here):

1. Over the past decade, atmospheric CO2 increased by 157 gigatonnes (Gt).

2. During that period, anthropogenic sources (fossil fuels, cement manufacturing, and land use change) produced 341 Gt of CO2.

3. Thus, humans are responsible for 220% of the current rise in atmospheric CO2. The extra 120% beyond what's shown in the above graph has been absorbed by the oceans (see "ocean acidification") and the terrestrial biosphere.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6095
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm
Contact:

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby kurt_w » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:57 am

DCB wrote:Can Skeptical Science dispute this?
I don’t want to get into the debate about climate change, but I will simply point out that I think in academia we all agree that the temperature on Mars is exactly as it is here.

Hilarious. It reminds me a bit of good ol' Dan Quayle:

Former Vice President Dan Quayle wrote:Mars is essentially in the same orbit.… Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe.

--Press comment on Mars exploration (8/11/1989), televised on CNN and cited in Washington Post (9/1/1989)

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6095
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm
Contact:

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby kurt_w » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:19 am

Sandi wrote:Joe, I readily admit that I do not put my thoughts into words well, and sometimes don't say what I mean correctly.

Please read: Sea levels rising only 7 in. per century with no acceleration.

The study source is here at Science Direct.


JoeT and others have already addressed this at great length, but I thought it might be helpful to show a graph.

The red line is "7 in. per century with no acceleration". The blue line is reality (source):

Image

This is not a case of "he said, she said". WUWT is wrong, plain and simple. That is, unfortunately, a very common occurrence. I would recommend not using them as a source.

JoeT
Forum Addict
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:34 am
Contact:

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby JoeT » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:49 am

Hi Kurt,

Great to see you posting again. You're a model of clarity, reason and sanity in this thread. I always learn something from your posts.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6095
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm
Contact:

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby kurt_w » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:38 am

Thanks. While I was too busy to post for a while, I was glad to see this thread in able hands. Nice explanation of Jevrejeva and the rest of it.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6095
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm
Contact:

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby kurt_w » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:24 am

The idiots running WUWT are once again engaging in CO2-trutherism, claiming that the increase in CO2 is natural, not due to fossil fuels (to be precise, WUWT claimed that 3% of the CO2 is from humans).

The post has kinda-sorta been retracted (too many people pointed out that they're idiots). But the fact that it was posted at all shows how bizarre and out-of-touch Watts and his followers are.

This is reality:

Image


Return to “National Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DCB, timby and 8 guests