97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Sandi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:04 pm

DCB wrote:Anyway, we know that land ice is melting, and the sea level is rising. Which means that coastal areas will be flooded.


You just learned something else.

Yes. Sea levels are rising, as they have since the little ice age. There has been no statistical increase in rate.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5095
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby gargantua » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Well, I for one am sure glad that I don't have to worry about this global warming stuff anymore. It sucked. Now I can ignore the rain this year that on almost a weekly basis dwarfed anything I saw in my previous 60 years as a Madison resident. What a relief. Thanks Sandi, for easing my fears.

Think I'll convert from natural gas to coal for my furnace.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3266
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby DCB » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:NOAA makes a "revision"...

yeah, 14 years ago. We finished mocking this non-issue a week ago in the other thread which you posted in. You denialists can't keep your talking points straight.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Sandi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:06 pm

DCB wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:NOAA makes a "revision"...

yeah, 14 years ago. We finished mocking this non-issue a week ago in the other thread which you posted in. You denialists can't keep your talking points straight.


What you call talking points are facts. However as always you just run off at the mouth according to your beliefs.

You would not know a fact if it turned into a train and ran through your mind. The temps have been readjusted many times, and always (always) to make the past colder, and the present warmer.

The usual excuse is to compensate for the UHI (urban heat island) effect caused in cities. That excuse is so dumb it boggles the mind. The UHI makes the present warmer, so if anything they should cool the present and warm the past. However that would be against the cAGW religion.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:23 pm

Sandi wrote:
DCB wrote:Anyway, we know that land ice is melting, and the sea level is rising. Which means that coastal areas will be flooded.


You just learned something else.

Yes. Sea levels are rising, as they have since the little ice age. There has been no statistical increase in rate.

Actually, yes there has.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Sandi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:06 pm

rabble wrote:
Sandi wrote:
DCB wrote:Anyway, we know that land ice is melting, and the sea level is rising. Which means that coastal areas will be flooded.


You just learned something else.

Yes. Sea levels are rising, as they have since the little ice age. There has been no statistical increase in rate.

Actually, yes there has.


Atoll islands are sinking, even faster than the sea level is rising. While sinking islands may make the sea appear to rise, that is a horse of a different color.

Try again. Even the graph in your link shows no statistical change.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3266
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby DCB » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:55 am

Sandi wrote:Try again. Even the graph in your link shows no statistical change.


You mean the graph that clearly shows greater than linear increase in sea level?
Image

Try again:

What we're most interested in is the long term trends. Figure 2 shows 20 year trends from the tidal data. From 1880 to the early 1900's, sea level was rising at around 1mm per year. Throughout most of the 20th century, sea levels have been rising at around 2mm per year. In the latter 20th century, it's reached 3mm per year. The five most recent 20-year trends also happen to be the highest values.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1388
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Bland » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:04 am

Sandi wrote:You would not know a fact if it turned into a train and ran through your mind.
I wonder if this actually happened to Sandi. It would explain a lot.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Sandi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:10 pm

DCB wrote:You mean the graph that clearly shows greater than linear increase in sea level?


You do not understand the meaning of "statistical." I see there is nothing to be gained for either of us by discussing science with you.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Sandi wrote: I see there is nothing to be gained for either of us by discussing science with you.


Get over yourself. You're not that smart.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1388
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Bland » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Sandi wrote: I see there is nothing to be gained for either of us by discussing science with you.


Get over yourself. You're not that smart.

You have to admit, Stebben- she is correct.
Just not for the reason she thinks.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Sandi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Get over yourselves children and try to grow up and act like adults.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Sandi wrote:
DCB wrote:You mean the graph that clearly shows greater than linear increase in sea level?


You do not understand the meaning of "statistical." I see there is nothing to be gained for either of us by discussing science with you.

I thought that might be it.

Could you please explain your definition? Just saying "that's not statistics" is a great comeback but it doesn't offer any evidence.

If you're really trying to educate people, it would be appropriate to post the definition of the word upon which your entire argument rests.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3266
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby DCB » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:57 pm

Sandi wrote:
DCB wrote:You mean the graph that clearly shows greater than linear increase in sea level?


You do not understand the meaning of "statistical." I see there is nothing to be gained for either of us by discussing science with you.

I certainly don't understand what you mean by statistical. The sea level rise is clearly greater than it was 100 years ago. And that conclusion is statistically significant.

I agree that there is nothing to be gained if you're going to run away every time someone challenges your opinion.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:26 pm

Sandi wrote:and act like adults.


Adults admit when they are wrong or got some of their facts incorrect. Venus ring a bell?


Return to “National Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests