97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby kurt_w » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Norfolk is going to be hit especially hard, because while sea level is rising from global warming, the local land is also subsiding due to other causes. So even if the world on average sees only a foot or two of SLR by 2100, Norfolk will experience significantly more.

For the world as a whole, sea level has been rising at a rate of a bit more than a foot per century over the past few decades. Under a business-as-usual scenario, this is likely to increase. I would say that the estimated $1 billion cost of a foot of sea level rise for Norfolk would be about the best case scenario. The likely outcome is worse.

And that's just one city. There are a lot of cities located at sea level.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:27 pm

Pfftt.
First you tried to frighten people by claiming CO2 was somehow harmful. Now you're trying to tell us that water -- WATER!??! -- is gonna hurt us too.
You crazy warmenizers'll say anything to frighten people, won't you?
I suppose next you're gonna tell me that invisible rays from the sun are somehow harming me too.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:09 pm

rabble wrote:A few more islands feel the effects of rising seas.

Virtually everybody in the Marshall Islands has been affected by the recently crumbling coastline, including Christopher Loeak, the nation’s president, who has watched over the years as the beaches where he fished as a boy have vanished and roads on his island home have been moved inland.

He told The Telegraph earlier this year that he was “afraid for our children and grandchildren”.

“The island is not only getting narrower - it is getting shorter,” he said.

“That is our worry – the disappearing of the land. People have had to move on many islands. We are not only talking about the land but the trees, our food security. We have lost rows and rows of coconut trees – they have been washed away.”

For certain, you, and the author of your article don't understand the development of the Marshall Islands. They are made up of 24 low-lying coral atolls. A gradual subsidence of atolls, or coral reefs that make up these islands is normal.

I would expect kurt to know this, but whatever.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:55 pm

Good lord. I didn't know that the president of the Marshal Islands doesn't understand the biometrics of the Marshal Islands.

Thanks for helping me out with that one. It's a good thing the people who live there have you to tell them what they don't know about where they live.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:58 pm

rabble wrote:Good lord. I didn't know that the president of the Marshal Islands doesn't understand the biometrics of the Marshal Islands.

Why wouldn't you know that? For example, look how stupid and ignorant our own President is. Nearly everything he said about climate is wrong.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:01 pm

I used to think that Sandi was just a useful idiot for those that are against doing anything about climate change (the Koch brothers, et alia). But I am now beginning to question her usefulness to her ideological cause.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:25 am

Sandi wrote:For example, look how stupid and ignorant our own President is. Nearly everything he said about climate is wrong.

kurt_w wrote:This is why Sandi of all people should not be lecturing others about the accuracy of their claims. Here's a quick sample from just the last three months of Sandi's mis-statements and misunderstandings in the climate change threads:

That list is not comprehensive, it's just some that popped up quickly in a search. I don't feel like wading back through a couple dozen pages of thread to track down every instance.

It's always kind of jaw-dropping to see Sandi accusing other people of being "stupid and ignorant" about science. Sandi is like the world's most perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:29 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Pfftt.
First you tried to frighten people by claiming CO2 was somehow harmful. Now you're trying to tell us that water -- WATER!??! -- is gonna hurt us too.
You crazy warmenizers'll say anything to frighten people, won't you?
I suppose next you're gonna tell me that invisible rays from the sun are somehow harming me too.

Sorry, but that's not very realistic. Someone with the initials YMBJ is accusing environmentalists of wanting to kill off 150 million Americans in Nazi-style extermination camps. Sandi thinks people want to have him/her be jailed or beaten up. And then there's John Henry who's in a class all his own.

Basically, Wags, if you want to pull that off, you need to lard it up with a lot more paranoia.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:05 am

Well maybe kurt does know about subsidence of Atolls. Why else would he avoid the post entirely and bring up stuff from pages back.

But he leaned how to do that from the climate scientists that are alarmists. However I shouldn't call them scientists, because they practice soft science ( political ) rather than hard science ( scientific method ).

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:48 am

Rabble posted a comment about the Marshall Islands. I posted something about Norfolk, Virginia. Then Sandi for some bizarre reason claims I don't know something about coral atolls.

Norfolk isn't on a coral atoll. I've said nothing about atolls. I'm not sure why you're trying to recruit me into your disagreement with Rabble.

At this point I'd just reiterate my comment that you're in no position to be accusing others of being "ignorant" given your unsurpassed record of wrongness in this thread.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:47 pm

OK, out of curiosity I looked for satellite measurements of sea level rise. Here's a map showing sea level rise; I've added the location of the Marshall Islands:

Looks to me like around 8mm-9mm/year of sea level rise in that part of the Pacific. That works out to a bit less than 3 feet per century.

Now it's possible that the islands are also subsiding (though Sandi offers no evidence of that -- just an assertion). In that case, there would be some extra local sea level rise caused by subsidence in addition to the 8-9mm/year of regional sea level rise measured from satellite.

Most of the Marshall Islands are right at sea level now. The highest point in the entire country is 10 meters above sea level. If you raise sea level by a meter from global warming, and then add in a few meters of storm surge, most of the islands will basically cease to exist.

Not to worry, though, Marshall Islanders. Sandi is here to tell you that it's all perfectly normal. The sea isn't rising, it's just your islands sinking. And apparently the satellites are sinking too... because Sandi is confident that the sea cannot possibly be rising. That answer is unacceptable.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:49 pm

I am curious as to why sea level rise differs in various areas. The scientific explanation please.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Madsci wrote:I am curious as to why sea level rise differs in various areas. The scientific explanation please.

For several reason, but subsidence is also a factor, which is the case with the case of the Marshal Islands.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:08 pm

Sandi wrote:
Madsci wrote:I am curious as to why sea level rise differs in various areas. The scientific explanation please.

For several reason, but subsidence is also a factor, which is the case with the case of the Marshal Islands.

Because when I have a scientific question the first place I check is: wattsupwiththat.com

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:12 pm

Sandi wrote:For several reason, but subsidence is also a factor, which is the case with the case of the Marshal Islands.

it looks like Kwajalein is affected by a local subsidence induced by building construction (or some sea level “correction” in order to have it going up).

The Majuro records, for sure, contradicts and acceleration claim; even a general “rise”.

In conclusion, don’t “hang your hat” on the Kwajalein graph. Look around and observe!

This is their evidence. How amazingly scientific. I would attack the message but there really isn't one except, Observe.

Return to “National Politics & Government”