Bludgeon wrote:I think most climate science research is like voodoo witch doctor stuff. Reading tree rings and trying to predict temperatures based on whatever muck they dig out of the ice I don't really call it science.
That is actually a useful way to begin a discussion, because it makes it clear that you don't actually know anything about climate science research.
Yes, yes, I know that you think you know all you need to know, because you read sneering dismissals of climate science on right-wing blogs and see sneering dismissals of climate science on right-wing television networks and listen to sneering dismissals of climate science on right-wing radio shows.
But the problem here is that you're so uninformed that you don't even realize that you're uninformed.
You have never opened the cover of a basic textbook of atmospheric science or climate science.
You have never taken a class in atmospheric science or climate science.
You have never spoken to an actual scientist in any of the directly relevant fields.
You have never even considered the possibility that a scientist at UW with a PhD in geochemistry or the physics of radiation in the atmosphere might have come to learn something about how radiation behaves in the atmosphere.
So, let's start with the basics. Here is the physics underlying what you refer to as "AGW":
1. Humans are burning fossil fuels.
2. Burning fossil fuels converts hydrocarbon molecules plus oxygen molecules into carbon dioxide (CO2) molecules plus water vapor.
3. About half of mass of CO2 molecules produced by burning fossil fuels remains in the atmosphere, while the other half is absorbed by the oceans and the biosphere.
4. In the atmosphere, CO2 molecules absorb longwave infrared (LWIR) radiation.
5. When CO2 molecules in the atmosphere absorb LWIR, the mean altitude at which the atmosphere effectively radiates outward to space increases.
6. When this altitude of LWIR emission increases, the column of atmosphere below it warms in proportion to depth (this is the "lapse rate"), and at the bottom of the atmosphere the surface warms as well.
That's the core of "climate science" and "AGW". Everything else is just details. So ... which of those six points do you disbelieve?