97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Bland » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:20 am

Americans overwhelmingly believe that global warming is happening, and that carbon emissions should be scaled back.
59% of Americans: Environment should be prioritized over energy production
Poll: 68% Of Americans Believe Humans Are Causing Climate Change

Roy wrote:Look you would not accept it if God came and gave you the story.

Well according to Jim Inhofe, the only person I know of who blathers on about science being a hoax more than Roy does, God is the cause of climate change.

Now here's a question for Roy...... if you "only trust sources that supports facts" [sic] and you reach your conclusions "based on empirical data," how exactly did you arrive at your belief in the existence of this God fellow you put so much stock in? Please be specific and show your work.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 am

Bland wrote:Americans overwhelmingly believe that global warming is happening, and that carbon emissions should be scaled back.
59% of Americans: Environment should be prioritized over energy production
Poll: 68% Of Americans Believe Humans Are Causing Climate Change

Roy wrote:Look you would not accept it if God came and gave you the story.

Well according to Jim Inhofe, the only person I know of who blathers on about science being a hoax more than Roy does, God is the cause of climate change.

Now here's a question for Roy...... if you "only trust sources that supports facts" [sic] and you reach your conclusions "based on empirical data," how exactly did you arrive at your belief in the existence of this God fellow you put so much stock in? Please be specific and show your work.

Yes, I agree that Americans overwhelmingly believe that global warming is happening. However that has nothing to do with my post, please reread it. My quote, and graphs state that the concern to take action on climate change rates dead last. In other words, while nearly all Americans believe that global warming is really happening, they do not consider it a big deal.

As far as my belief in the existence of God, like all Christians that is for the most part based in faith. But I think biblical faith is a bit different than the English word for "faith," and not all translations are alike and in some use the word "faith" and others "trust." Certainly it isn't just blind faith.

Let me try an explanation. Say I was trapped on a ledge on the side of a cliff, and had a friend above who dropped me a rope to pull me up. I would have every faith/trust that my friend would pull me up. Or lets say one needs a risky surgery. You have lots of resources to research doctors, hospitals, etc so you can assemble the best team possible. A group of professionals you think will give you the best chance of survival. By letting yourself be put under the knife, you are showing your faith/trust in this team. Faith in God isn't blind faith, as you seem to infer.

With climate change it is similar: I put my faith/trust in the empirical data, real observations. I don't have proof what all the temperatures are at hundreds of testing points around the world. I take the word faith/trust of the science stations who monitor them. Faith is personal between God and myself. Climate non-personal between science and me.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Roy wrote:Image

That's a great list. And you know what, Roy? Every single item on that list is something that Progressives support, while the Republican party opposes most of them.

Seriously. That's like a laundry list of progressive priorities! Meanwhile, Trump and the GOP are busy trashing, or trying to trash, almost everything on that list.

So what does that tell you?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:That's a great list. And you know what, Roy? Every single item on that list is something that Progressives support, while the Republican party opposes most of them.

See now here is the difference between you and I, and I guess between Republicans and Democrats....

I and most Republicans support most of that list just the same as most Democrats do. However priority varies. The difference between you and I, is that I am honest about it. You are not.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:35 pm

I don't know what you think you like from that list, but I know what the party you support has been doing in Washington:

Allowing coal mines to dump waste in rivers and streams;
Allowing ISPs to spy on their customers and sell the data on their internet activity;
Making it easier for corporations to bribe government officials in other countries;
Removing penalties on companies that engage in wage-theft.

Plus they tried (and failed) to take health insurance from 20+ million people to pay for a tax cut for the wealthiest.

That's just a handful of examples, but it tells you what the priorities are for the people who run the GOP. Hint: it's pretty much the exact opposite of the list in the chart you posted.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:54 pm

Actually, it's quite stunning how the GOP and conservative activists are opposed to virtually every item on that list.

Americans say they want "access to clean water and sanitation", but the very first bill Trump signed was to allow coal mines to dump pollution in rivers and streams.

Americans say they want "honest and responsive government", but in across a wide range of topics the Trump administration and GOP-led Congress are pushing the envelope on corruption and secrecy.

Americans say they want "better healthcare", but Paul Ryan devises a bill that would strip coverage entirely from 20+ million people and weaken it for the rest of us, even those with employer-provided insurance.

We could go on down the list and see the same pattern, over and over again...

* "Freedom from discrimination and persecution"
* "Equality between men and women"
* "Protecting forests, rivers, and oceans"
* "Action taken on climate change"
* "Support for people who can't work"
Etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for posting that chart. It's a great reminder of the vast gulf separating the two parties, and of what those of us who love America are fighting for.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:57 pm

Ned you're a hopeless hack.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:the very first bill Trump signed...

Minor correction -- the bill allowing coal mines to dump waste in rivers and streams was the fourth one Trump signed, not the first.

It was preceded by two trivial procedural items, plus the bill allowing corporations to engage in bribery overseas.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Roy wrote:Ned you're a hopeless hack.

Roy, you're extremely transparent when you got absolutely nothin. That's when you resort to name calling just for the sake of name calling.

Followed shortly by accusing someone else of attacking the messenger because they can't come up with any arguments.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:30 pm

Hey, I'm a hopeless hack who supports every single item on Roy's list:

A good education,
    An honest and responsive government,
    Access to clean water and sanitation,
    Affordible and nutritious food,
    Better healthcare,
    Freedom from discrimination and persecution,
    Equality between men and women,
    Protecting forests, rivers, and oceans,
    Protection against crime and violence,
    Action taken on climate change,
    Better job opportunities,
    Political freedoms,
    Reliable energy at home,
    Support for people who can't work,
    Phone and internet access,
    Better transport and roads.

All of the above, no exceptions!

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:Hey, I'm a hopeless hack who supports every single item on Roy's list:

A good education,
    An honest and responsive government,
    Access to clean water and sanitation,
    Affordible and nutritious food,
    Better healthcare,
    Freedom from discrimination and persecution,
    Equality between men and women,
    Protecting forests, rivers, and oceans,
    Protection against crime and violence,
    Action taken on climate change,
    Better job opportunities,
    Political freedoms,
    Reliable energy at home,
    Support for people who can't work,
    Phone and internet access,
    Better transport and roads.

All of the above, no exceptions!

As do I. As I said in my post that you apparently didn't read, the difference between Rs and Ds is the priority. That and you are the dishonest name caller. I say both parties support the list. You try to claim it for the Ds.

That is why you are a hopeless partisan hack.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Re-posted for Roy, who apparently missed it the first time:

Ned Flounders wrote:Actually, it's quite stunning how the GOP and conservative activists are opposed to virtually every item on that list.

Americans say they want "access to clean water and sanitation", but the very first bill Trump signed was to allow coal mines to dump pollution in rivers and streams.

Americans say they want "honest and responsive government", but in across a wide range of topics the Trump administration and GOP-led Congress are pushing the envelope on corruption and secrecy.

Americans say they want "better healthcare", but Paul Ryan devises a bill that would strip coverage entirely from 20+ million people and weaken it for the rest of us, even those with employer-provided insurance.

We could go on down the list and see the same pattern, over and over again...

* "Freedom from discrimination and persecution"
* "Equality between men and women"
* "Protecting forests, rivers, and oceans"
* "Action taken on climate change"
* "Support for people who can't work"
Etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for posting that chart. It's a great reminder of the vast gulf separating the two parties, and of what those of us who love America are fighting for.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:15 pm

That sure looks like a personal attack to me. It's fine to disagree. Try to do it without attacking the person. He's not a "hack" and you know it. He's just a Foron who doesn't happen to agree with you. Do better.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:23 pm

gargantua wrote:

That sure looks like a personal attack to me. It's fine to disagree. Try to do it without attacking the person. He's not a "hack" and you know it. He's just a Foron who doesn't happen to agree with you. Do better.

We were having a discussion, so butt out troll.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Roy wrote:
gargantua wrote:

We were having a discussion, so butt out troll.

That's a discussion?
I forgive you.

Return to “National Politics & Government”