Republicans seizing on Obamacare typo

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Republicans seizing on Obamacare typo

Postby Huckleby » Wed May 15, 2013 7:47 am

There's a story as amazing as it is under-reported.

The reason Scott Walker was able to throw individuals who make over $11K ($15K for family of 3) off of medicaid and claim they will get healthcare on the exchange is because of a misprint in the final Obamacare legislation. I am not making this up.

The intent and calculations for Obamacare were that people making under 133% of poverty would get medicaid, those above would buy subsidized insurance on the exchange. Well, there was a typo, they printed 100% instead of 133% in the final bill.

Wisconsin actually had a reasonable and relatively generous policy before Obamacare. People up to 200% of poverty were entitled to purchase modestly priced insurance through BadgerCare. (The poverty line is set absurdly low, people at 200% are actually still low income.) Now individuals who make between $11K and $22K are just screwed in WI. They lost medicaid, and aren't going to be able to afford private insurance copays.

I was always confused how Walker was able to pull this ruse off, but I got the straight story recently when I read that Republicans in Maine want to pursue the same strategy.
GOP: Flaw in Obamacare language Prevents Medicaid Expansion

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Republicans seizing on Obamacare typo

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed May 15, 2013 11:12 am

I think you need to look up the definition of the words "typo" and "oversight"

This wasn't some poor staffer fat fingering 100 instead of 133 (or having a brain fart and entering the wrong number). The law makers made a change that should have nessecitated changing other parts of the bill , but they rushed it and missed the change to the subsidies cut off. It wouldn't have even been a problem, except for the fact that the USSC decided increasing the eligibility for medicaid was up to the states.

Found a pretty good rundown of what actually happened with the bill (and its effects)

Author seems to think the whole thing is a positive for public health care and brings universal healthcare closer, but I'm having a hard time determining why.

As far as Walker, it's not very surprising, he's a dick. He's not taking advantage of an honest mistake though, just the fact that the final stages of the ACA being passed were a complete clustefuck. Democrates were so eager to pass it that they didn't bother to make sure all the "T"s were crossed and the "I"s were dotted.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed May 15, 2013 11:36 am

The 100% sounds better to me anyhow. Why should someone "over" the poverty level receive free anything?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed May 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Sandi wrote:The 100% sounds better to me anyhow. Why should someone "over" the poverty level receive free anything?

The "poverty level" is not an accurate cutoff of where people today can afford medical expenses. A family of 4 earning $18K does not have $8K for health insurance and deductibles. They are scraping by. Low income people need help, not just those in abject poverty.

The proposals from the right that everybody should pay something for health care has merit. It discourages overuse, and it makes the whole population more supportive of the system. The devil is in the details.

A couple with one kid, and a total family income of $16K can't save money for medical expenses. Realistically, they are living month to month. If you want to squeeze them to disincentivize unnecessary care, OK, but you need to be talking about hundreds of dollars per year, not thousands. Otherwise you are really just effectively cutting them off from health care access.

Medicaid already has co-pays, they are very low, like $5 a visit copay or something. Maybe they could be raised a little bit, I don't know.

BadgerCare for people in 150% to 300% of poverty costs $150 per month or something, with lower deductibles than private insurance.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed May 22, 2013 7:05 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Found a pretty good rundown of what actually happened with the bill (and its effects)

Author seems to think the whole thing is a positive for public health care and brings universal healthcare closer, but I'm having a hard time determining why.

I just read that link - very good explanation of confusing mess-up.
I agree there is nothing positive about this. Well, theoretically it is good to get that 100%->138% band of people on private insurance because they get better service. But its not workable without more subsidies.

Big news today. The Republican governor of Iowa has agreed to accept all the federal money, with interesting twist. The medicaid money will help people in that 100%->138% afford insurance on the exchange.
http://www.thonline.com/news/breaking/a ... f6878.html

Well, I should think this backs Scott Walker into a corner. Walker already stated that he's wants people in the 100%->138% of poverty range to get insurance through the exchange. Well, why not take some Fed money to make this work, ala Iowa, rather than watch an unrealistic plan fail?

(BTW: Walker's plan is costing WI taxpapers more than originally projected:
http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.com/v ... ses-by-73M )

Return to “National Politics & Government”