BO's IRS Targets Political Enemies

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Re: BO's IRS Targets Political Enemies

Postby Comrade » Mon May 13, 2013 10:59 am

The tax code of the US and it's enforcement arm should not be used as a weapon to bludgeon or intimidate citizens at all. ANY use of this for ANYTHING outside of legitimate revenue raising in order to fund the government is not only inapropriate, but a terrible abuse of power.

Targeting ANY group for special scrutiny based on political beliefs is all kinds of wrong. Heads need to roll for this of the individuals responsible and also those repsonsible for their supervision.

A simple apology is clearly not adequate.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 13, 2013 11:07 am

Comrade wrote:
Targeting ANY group for special scrutiny based on political beliefs is all kinds of wrong. Heads need to roll for this of the individuals responsible and also those repsonsible for their supervision.

A simple apology is clearly not adequate.

I agree although I think scrutiny should be standard operating procedure for any political action group that wants tax exempt status. Currently the process is a joke.

Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Mon May 13, 2013 11:33 am

Well of course there needs to be scrutiny. Nobody has complained about that or suggested otherwise. However, everyone needs to be subjected to the SAME level of scrutiny. Holding people the auditor disagrees with politicaly to a different standard than those the auditor likes is WRONG and an abuse of power. The consequence for that needs to be taking the power away from the abusers and giving it to more ethical and honest individuals.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon May 13, 2013 11:44 am

The President, outraged, swings into action: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/13/politics/ ... ?hpt=hp_c2

Obama said he learned of the allegations through news reports on Friday.

Well, thank goodness the President watches CNN.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon May 13, 2013 12:33 pm

Yeah, I remember that time me and Barry and those low level IRS employees in Cleveland were hangin' out poundin' brews and came up with this idea.

Seriously. Does anyone really think if this was some grand scheme by the Obama administration, there would have been any admission this was going on, or an apology? The right needs to stop wasting time and taxpayer dollars trying to gin up a scandal against Obama, and maybe work for the people for a change. And the media needs to stop parroting the right and amplifying their "heartfelt" concern on this bullshit stuff.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 13, 2013 12:39 pm

Funny how Obi told OSU grads to reject those paranoid types that don't trust gov't...

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon May 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Funny how Obi told OSU grads to reject those paranoid types that don't trust gov't...

Why is that funny? The biggest "paranoid types" currently are residing in the U.S. House of Representatives ... seems like Obama knows who the problem is.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon May 13, 2013 3:37 pm

Obama was telling the graduates at OSU to put their trust in government and reject voices that cast doubt upon the goodness of government. One week later, he purports to find it outrageous - outRAGEous, he tells us - if the government he leads has been targeting and auditing conservative groups in anything less than a neutral and non-partisan way. And he promised that he would look into it and find out exactly what happened because he won't tolerate it and he has no patience for it. Although he did have the patience to wait, from Friday, until someone asked him about it on Monday.

Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Mon May 13, 2013 3:38 pm

minicat wrote:Seriously. Does anyone really think if this was some grand scheme by the Obama administration, there would have been any admission this was going on, or an apology? The right needs to stop wasting time and taxpayer dollars trying to gin up a scandal against Obama, and maybe work for the people for a change. And the media needs to stop parroting the right and amplifying their "heartfelt" concern on this bullshit stuff

SERIOUSLY, I don't think Obama conspired to do this. However, since some higer ups in the IRS would seem to have known, it is a legitimate question to inqure how high up the chain of command this was known and approved of. It is not a waste of time and money to get to the bottom of things like that.

Lets see what the Obama administration does about it. They are responsible for oversight of federal agencies being the Executive branch. It happened, now lets see how they deal with it.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon May 13, 2013 3:42 pm

... everyone needs to be subjected to the SAME level of scrutiny. Holding people the auditor disagrees with politicaly to a different standard than those the auditor likes is WRONG and an abuse of power. The consequence for that needs to be taking the power away from the abusers and giving it to more ethical and honest individuals.

Nobody is going to disagree with this.

For that reason, the whole story here is going to be about how huge and lengthy a screaming session the right wing will stage.

Just keep one thing in mind while it's happening: it's for show, and doesn't make one iota of difference to the outcome or change anyone's opinion.

Which is pretty much a working definition of "waste of time.'

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon May 13, 2013 3:47 pm

I used to be involved in various non-profits, some of which did a little lobbying and electioneering. We were mostly non-partisan, but we did a lot of work in the environmental area that some may have construed as "progressive." We also had some scrutiny from IRS. Actually, we welcomed it, because we didn't want to get our donors into any trouble. It seems to me the only groups who would be most opposed to the scrutiny would be the astro-turf groups who weren't really funded by grassroots funders.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon May 13, 2013 5:23 pm

While the IRS doesn't have a commissioner, the top IRS administrator, who just resigned at the end of 2012, was a Bush appointee.....how goddamn funny is THAT!

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon May 13, 2013 7:43 pm

david cohen wrote: a Bush appointee.....how goddamn funny is THAT!

You tell us. Wouldn't a Bush appointee predictably tend to be a little more communicative about what Obama knew and when he knew it than, say, an Obama appointee?

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon May 13, 2013 7:51 pm

Don't ask me what the hell a Bush appointee might think. You are the go to guy when it comes to Bush (or lack thereof).

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon May 13, 2013 7:58 pm

david cohen wrote:Don't ask me what the hell a Bush appointee might think.

I'm not, dc. I'm asking you what the hell an Obama true believer, in contrast to a Bush appointee, might think.

Return to “National Politics & Government”