BO's IRS Targets Political Enemies

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: BO's IRS Targets Political Enemies

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed May 22, 2013 4:57 pm

HawkHead wrote:As a CPA dealing with the IRS on a daily basis this is false. Organization operate as non-profits all the time without final IRS approval. The only time it matters is when you have to file a tax return and for 501(c)3 that want to guarantee that yor donation is tax deductibe. And that doesn't stop 501(c)3s from sending out those letters before the IRS affirms their status.

Interesting, and thank you for the correction. As a follow-up, would they have to disclose donors prior to approval, and if the duration between their application and approval extended into a new tax year, would it affect how they filed tax returns?

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Not being able to take the 5th correctly: Now that is incompetence.

Scandalously incompetent, in fact.

Shut the whole damn thing down. Go to a flat fair tax. Everyone, and I mean 100% of citizens, pay some federal revenue. Get rid of tax exemptions, deductions, "nonprofit" status. Force tax preparers and accountants like HawkHead to finally earn an honest non-rent-seeking living.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed May 22, 2013 5:12 pm

She made a strong, provocative statement today and THEN attempted to invoke her 5th Amendment rights. Too late.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Flat earth, flat tax.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Wed May 22, 2013 5:46 pm

On Saturday, Celia Roady -- the lawyer who asked the question of IRS official Lois Lerner at the May 10 American Bar Association conference -- issues the following statement to Fox:

“On May 9, I received a call from Lois Lerner, who told me that she wanted to address an issue after her prepared remarks … and asked if I would pose a question to her after her remarks. I agreed to do so.…We had no discussion thereafter on the topic of the question, nor had we spoken about any of this before I received her call. She did not tell me, and I did not know, how she would answer the question.”

So what do you guys think about the notion of setting up a press conference, asking a lawyer, 'hey, show up at this press show, ask me this question, and I'll be like, 'that's an excellent question,' pass it off like it was this spontaneous thing, although I already know you're going to ask and already know what I'm going to say, - you cool?'

Hah. Ah hah. heh. hmm....

Wonder how often they do that?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed May 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Darrell Issa: Lois Lerner lost her rights

House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa said embattled IRS official Lois Lerner waived her Fifth Amendment rights and will be hauled back to appear before his panel again.

The California Republican said Lerner’s Fifth Amendment right to avoid self-incrimination was voided when she gave an opening statement this morning denying any wrongdoing and professing pride in her government service

Lerner looks sleazy for claiming the 5th amendment. Now (well, again) Issa looks like a crazed prosecutor for this overreach.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed May 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Meade wrote:Not being able to take the 5th correctly: Now that is incompetence.

Uhh, no. It is Issa who looks the fool.

I have a lot of trouble with any government official who pleads the fifth. They are supposed to be servants of the people. The people have a right to know.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed May 22, 2013 6:57 pm

Huckleby wrote:Uhh, no. It is Issa who looks the fool.

You are an expert on criminal law and the 5th amendment?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed May 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Meade wrote:

yes, and many other things.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Wed May 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Meade wrote:

yes, and many other things.

Please elaborate.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed May 22, 2013 7:29 pm

My brilliance is self-evident, if you can't see it, that is your shortcoming.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Wed May 22, 2013 7:34 pm

Huckleby wrote:My brilliance is self-evident, if you can't see it, that is your shortcoming.

Offense not intended but I have this nagging curiosity about if you're some kinda social-media PR guy or what.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed May 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
HawkHead wrote:As a CPA dealing with the IRS on a daily basis this is false. Organization operate as non-profits all the time without final IRS approval. The only time it matters is when you have to file a tax return and for 501(c)3 that want to guarantee that yor donation is tax deductibe. And that doesn't stop 501(c)3s from sending out those letters before the IRS affirms their status.

Interesting, and thank you for the correction. As a follow-up, would they have to disclose donors prior to approval, and if the duration between their application and approval extended into a new tax year, would it affect how they filed tax returns?

Donors have to be disclosed on the organizations tax return. For a not-for profit the return is called an informational return. There is no tax issues unless you have unrelated business income. If I was worried for a client I would suggest filing for an extension to allow for more time to file the return.

In fact, you can file a tax return that has not been approved by the IRS and if they don't contact you about the return by default the IRS has approved of whatever tax entity you are claiming to be on the return. Always a strategy to use when you have a client who misses the s-corp tax election deadline.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu May 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Can Congress make Lois Lerner talk? Cato says no:

In a courtroom, if Lerner were a defendant, then she couldn’t have simply read an “opening statement” and then refused to testify further; her statement would’ve “opened the door” to questioning about the subjects she raised (and then there are further wrinkles in civil, as opposed to criminal, cases). Before the House Oversight Committee, however, Lerner is merely a witness at an investigative hearing—and one compelled to attend by subpoena, no less—so she can “selectively” invoke her Fifth Amendment right not to answer particular questions that may incriminate her or to cut off questioning altogether.

http://www.cato.org/blog/can-congress-make-lois-lerner-talk

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu May 23, 2013 3:59 pm

I'm pretty sure that, if you looked at transcripts of past witness proceedings in Congress, selective pleading of the fifth has occurred. Of course, some people get to use the "I don't recall" defense without serious pushback from the committee....

Return to “National Politics & Government”