Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 pm
Location: near west

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:18 am

Johnson just got done with a short statement He didn't say much about the issue at hand, but rather gave broad statements about Senate procedures, government spending, and other unrelated topics.
Huckleby wrote:Do you realize that the sales of ammunition have soared in the past few months because some people believe that Obama is about to disarm them? We are a nation of fools.
I don't see what the problem is. There has been an unmistakable increase in pro-gun-control rhetoric in recent months. The spike in ammunition purchases is a small insurance policy (even if only psychological in effect) against the small risk that that the unmistakable increase in pro-gun-control rhetoric in recent months might gain traction with legislators.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 pm
Location: near west

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:18 am

Removed double post.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 14044
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby snoqueen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:23 am

He ended it after close to 13 hours. I'm not sure what he wanted to accomplish or what he accomplished, but it was an interesting exercise.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:31 am

The worst of our foreign policy always seems to come home. It's about time for another false flag event to whip the peasants in line.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4538
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby minicat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:25 am

pjbogart wrote:...I suspect the President's resistance to Rand Paul's wind-baggery is a bit more complicated.


Remove the horror of Rand Paul from this equation for a moment. What's complicated about this topic? Drone strikes in the US, and overseas, should be illegal along with being immoral. A lot of people voted for Obama to end this sort of noxious military behavior; he's responded by continuing and expanding on Bush-era power grabs, and by bringing in right wingers like Chuck Hagel and torture supporter John Brennan for his cabinet. Defending the concept of "freedom" by reducing freedoms with this explosion of Homeland Security black ops programs is our government turning traitor.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23708
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:32 am

Stella_Guru wrote:The worst of our foreign policy always seems to come home. It's about time for another false flag event to whip the peasants in line.

Another? What was the first? Details, please.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3247
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby wack wack » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:45 am

ArturoBandini wrote:If you have a legitimate philosophical point that is also very popular with voters, but in direct contrast to the apparent philosophy of your political opponents, why not hammer it all day long?


Ummm, because your opponents will accuse you of campaigning rather than leading?

Meade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby Meade » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:14 am

minicat wrote:What's complicated about this topic? Drone strikes in the US, and overseas, should be illegal along with being immoral. A lot of people voted for Obama to end this sort of noxious military behavior; he's responded by continuing and expanding on Bush-era power grabs, and by bringing in right wingers like Chuck Hagel and torture supporter John Brennan for his cabinet. Defending the concept of "freedom" by reducing freedoms with this explosion of Homeland Security black ops programs is our government turning traitor.

“Every American has the right to know when their government believes [it has constitutional authority] to kill them.”
-- Sen. Ron Wyden (Ore.)


Turns out your votes for Obama were votes for the expansion of what many of you claimed were war crimes by Bush.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4538
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby minicat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:18 am

Meade wrote:
Turns out your votes for Obama were votes for the expansion of what many of you claimed were war crimes by Bush.


Yeah, and I think most of us knew that going in this past election, so that's besides the point. There is zero chance the Republicans' non-alternative Ro-money would be moving these concerns in the right direction. There's at least a slim chance Obama will stop being Bush III at some point on warmongering and constitutional abuses.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9600
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:44 am

Yeah, I got to wonder about the relevancy of that statement. Does he mean we should have voted for Romney because Romney would never have done that, and Romney would have been gay friendly and much more concerned about poor people's health care?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3548
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby O.J. » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:17 pm

How many cases of Poland Spring would Marco Rubio have needed at his disposal to filibuster for that long?

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 pm
Location: near west

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:19 pm

wack wack wrote:Ummm, because your opponents will accuse you of campaigning rather than leading?
If the campaign is to get elected in order to affirm legal principles that respect civil liberties, what's the problem?

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 pm
Location: near west

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:20 pm

O.J. wrote:How many cases of Poland Spring would Marco Rubio have needed at his disposal to filibuster for that long?
Do you know anything about what Marco Rubio actually said during this SOTU rebuttal, or just about the water thing? Honestly, I only know about the water thing, the media has done a fantastic job of marginalizing him.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 pm
Location: near west

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:23 pm

rabble wrote:Yeah, I got to wonder about the relevancy of that statement. Does he mean we should have voted for Romney because Romney would never have done that, and Romney would have been gay friendly and much more concerned about poor people's health care?
Obama wasn't actively gay-friendly until his hand was forced by popular opinion and a slip of the tongue by VP Biden. One might think that his interest in gay rights is almost purely political.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3548
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: Rand Paul filibuster at 8.5 hours and still going

Postby O.J. » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:25 pm

Calm down, Artie, it was a harmless joke. I actually agree with both you and Rand on this subject -- I think this was an example of good policy meshing with good politics.


Return to “National Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests