Tenth anniversary of the Iraq War

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tenth anniversary of the Iraq War

Postby massimo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:09 pm

Glass parking lot. It's the only way.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:23 pm

kurt wrote:* We drafted millions of civilians
* We re-oriented the entire economy around the war effort, including price controls, rationing, and vastly increased government spending
* We raised taxes to unprecedented levels to pay for the war effort

Let's pause right there and allow Ned time to tell us how his government-shrinking, marginally-popular party intends to justify -- let alone carry out -- those aspects of taking off the gloves.

Or do you want to walk that one back, Ned? You aren't off until 4:30 so you still have an hour to follow up.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:25 pm

kurt_w wrote:
Have we learned anything from this?

We learned that some people still believe this had something to do with 9/11.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I've [...] pointed out how, using our last great war as an example, we can defeat a similar enemy without bankrupting oursevles and our allies while ending this once and for all.

No, you have not. You refuse to answer any of the "how" questions.

One could just as well write "I've pointed out how, using our last great war as an example, we can end poverty, sadness, and stupidity." Or "I've pointed out how, using our last great war as an example, we can colonize Pluto."

All you've said about how is that we should (a) do what we did in World War II, and (b) take the gloves off. I've given you several opportunities to explain yourself. You refuse to do so. It seems clear that you don't actually have anything to say beyond feel-good right-wing bullshit.

"If we just had the sheer willpower, we could do something big and important that somehow involves fighting Islam or terrorist groups or something." That's not showing how. That's just blather.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Come on, Flanders. Kurt's giving you a chance.
Don't make me revive this old thread.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
kurt_w wrote:

We learned the UN weapons inspectors are generally reliable.

"Aluminum tubes" are not a valid reason to go to war.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:The Islamists had to be engaged and contained. Iraq was as good a beach head as any.

I have worked through this thread and this question occurred to me. What the fuck is an islamist? When I was a child I know I was pretty fucking scared of the boogie man, but I eventually figured that "adults" where making that shit up for there own reasons.
I find it interesting that you chose to capitalize the word "Islamists".

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:42 pm

Ease up a bit on the Flanders, guys. He is, after all, the #8 foron of all time! You guys are just jealous that you didn't make the cut. Sit back and enjoy basking in his brilliance for awhile. Stop and think for a minute about the point that he's trying to make, because I think it might have passed over your heads. Barack Obama simply hasn't taken the gloves off, and Bush kind of took the gloves off, but not nearly enough... soft punches... that means there were still gloves on.

When a Saudi national living in Afghanistan kills 3000 Americans, it's very important to retaliate by killing several hundred thousand Iraqis. But that's only one glove off. If Barry "Obummer" had the heart, he'd kill several hundred thousand people from some other random Middle Eastern country.

Let's face it, killing people costs money, and if we're spending money then someone must be earning money, so if we want to earn more money, we need to kill more people. Right? It's perfectly logical.

Flanders gets it.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:52 pm

I must have been absent the day they handed out common sense. Thanks, pj.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:48 am

Stebben84 wrote:
kurt_w wrote:

1. Terrorism is a tactic availiable to anyone willing.
2. The gropings, spying, drone deployments, militarized police, agencies named "Homeland Security" indicate everyone is an enemy of the state.
3. Behave as a model citizen, never question authority, stay home, don't make waves.
4. Laxatives are the number one over-the-counter medicine purchased in the U.S..
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:00 am

Mad Howler wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:The Islamists had to be engaged and contained. Iraq was as good a beach head as any.

I have worked through this thread and this question occurred to me. What the fuck is an islamist?

"Islamist" is a person who believes that their country's political and/or social structure should be based on the religion of Islam.

Flanders is still grappling with the fact that the Iraqi Baath Party was specifically not Islamist, while the parties leading Iraq's ruling coalition since the US invasion are Islamist.

How exactly that makes Iraq "a beachhead in the war against Islamists" is yet to be explained.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:57 am

As far as I can tell, Flanders makes basically three arguments in this thread, and they're all three wrong:

(1) Flanders implies that Iraq had something to do with 9/11. It didn't.

(2) Flanders implies that the Iraq war was a success for the US. It wasn't.

(3) Flanders implies that World War 2 is a good analogy for the current situation. It isn't.

The latter idea is basically what impelled the Bush administration and the conservative movement to lead us into the Iraq war in the first place. They wanted to re-fight WW2. But we don't live in the world of 1939. It's a different world, and we need new ideas.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 am

kurt_w wrote:How exactly that makes Iraq "a beachhead in the war against Islamists" is yet to be explained.

It is the "fight 'em there so they don't fight us here" mentality. We pretty much used Iraq as our own battleground drawing in the extremists so we could squash them. Well, guess what? That was one big fail.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:03 am

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:07 am

Ned Flanders wrote:...

Exactly. Ned's got nothing.

Return to “National Politics & Government”