Romney Believers

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Romney Believers

Postby snoqueen » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:12 pm

It's been entertaining to watch R-partisans ignore the existence of the electoral college this time around.

When its existence is in their favor, of course they'll acknowledge it again.

I would like to read a defense of the ignoring (the ignorance?) if anyone would care to offer one.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:21 pm

Can you cite an example of Republicans ignoring the electoral college? Call me ignorant but I've been completely unaware of them doing that. Thanks.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Meade wrote:Most people didn't realize, in 2008, that Obama is an atheist. Now, most do.
Your desperation really shows when you resort to such transparent lies.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Also, most polls show that roughly 99% of scientists agree that evolution occurred and took millions of years, so my position that believers choose to ignore evidence remains valid.

Many Christians don't have a problem with that as valid either.

Time isn't an absolute in biblical writing, nor was our days always 24 hours as astronomers will tell you. That may account for Methuselah living for 969 years, and Noah being 600 at the time of the flood. I forget who, but one person in the bible was taken for what sounds like time travel: apparently for many years. Because when he was brought back he said everyone he knew would be old or dead. He was informed their time and his time did not pass the same.

Also if God created everything, there is no telling how many times the earth was reborn. It was after all pretty hectic with collisions, meteors etc until things settled down. And if as is believed by Christians, we will someday be as the angels, who is to say that the angels were not a previous earthly generation of humans?

Not saying they are my beliefs, just possibilities.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Sandi wrote:Not saying they are my beliefs, just possibilities.

Those possibilities, however remote, are endless. And any speculation about them is meaningless.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:48 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Sandi wrote:Not saying they are my beliefs, just possibilities.

Those possibilities, however remote, are endless. And any speculation about them is meaningless.

Oh I agree 100 percent. The same goes for the topic. :mrgreen:

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:00 pm

Sandi wrote:Many Christians don't have a problem with that as valid either.
Of course they don't. And many non-Christians do. The neat thing about science is, it doesn't really matter who believes it or not. Evolution happened no matter how many people agree or disagree with it.

Sandi wrote:Time isn't an absolute in biblical writing nor was our days always 24 hours as astronomers will tell you.
Astronomers don't use a 24 hour day at all, but that's beside the point. And while you're correct that the length of a day (as defined by the time it takes for Earth to rotate once upon its axis) has changed over time, that's something which happens very gradually over millions of years, so it certainly hasn't affected the relative lifespans of human beings, who've only been around for half a million or so.
Sandi wrote: That may account for Methuselah living for 969 years, and Noah being 600 at the time of the flood.
No, what accounts for these ages is that they are mythological stories. There is lots of evidence about human lifespans in the distant past and it all shows that people lived shorter lives, not longer ones. (People used to be shorter too, contrary to Biblical claims about the days when giants roamed the Earth.)
Sandi wrote: ...just possibilities.
No, they're really just more examples of mythological thinking with no basis whatsoever in observed facts about the universe.

Sandi wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Those possibilities, however remote, are endless. And any speculation about them is meaningless.

Oh I agree 100 percent. The same goes for the topic.
Huh? The topic is about poll results about the beliefs of Americans. You're the one who drifted off into meaningless speculation.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Ah, your posts are fact, while mine ( even though I said I didn't believe all, but posted as what others beleive ) is myth. Thanks profchaos_staff, for the daily chuckle.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:18 pm

It's not my fault if you don't know the difference between facts, opinion, and myths.

Evolution is a fact.
Methusaleh and Noah are mythology.
What it means that the majority of people who deny evolution will also likely vote for Romney is an opinion.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:23 pm

Bland wrote:
Meade wrote:Most people didn't realize, in 2008, that Obama is an atheist. Now, most do.
Your desperation really shows when you resort to such transparent lies.

Educate me then. Do you believe Barack Obama has religious faith? Progressivism isn't technically a religious faith, you know. Although it does have a strong religiosity to it.

I think Barack Obama has exactly as much religious faith as the foron here who calls himself Henry Vilas.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:27 pm

Your unsubstantiated assertion is that Obama is an atheist. Then you ask others to prove what you said. The burden of proof is upon you.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Meade wrote: Do you believe Barack Obama has religious faith?

What Henry said.
But also, why wouldn't I? He says he does.
Do you normally doubt people when they express belief in God or do you reserve that doubt only for Obama?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Ronald Reagan, a political icon in the eyes of the religious right, timed his inauguration ceremony (when he was sworn in as governor) based on advice from Nancy's astrologer. He followed more astrological mumbo jumbo throughout his presidency.

Astrology is anathema to basic Christian tenets.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Bland wrote:
Meade wrote: Do you believe Barack Obama has religious faith?

What Henry said.
But also, why wouldn't I? He says he does.

Right. He says he does. And you believe him. How do you know? Maybe the Bible tells you so.

Most Americans don't believe Obama has religious faith. Although, unlike me, most Americans are just too polite and charitable to say it.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:49 pm

"And I will do everything that I can as long as I am President of the United States to remind the American people that we are one nation under God, and we may call that God different names but we remain one nation."

""More than 2,000 years ago, a child was born to two faithful travelers who could find rest only in a stable, among the cattle and the sheep. But this was not just any child. Christ's birth made the angels rejoice and attracted shepherds and kings from afar. He was a manifestation of God's love for us."

""And like all of us, my faith journey has had its twists and turns. It hasn't always been a straight line. I have thanked God for the joys of parenthood and Michelle's willingness to put up with me. In the wake of failures and disappointments I've questioned what God had in store for me and been reminded that God's plans for us may not always match our own short-sighted desires.

"And let me tell you, these past two years, they have deepened my faith. The presidency has a funny way of making a person feel the need to pray."

"[I became a Christian] not because of indoctrination or a sudden revelation, but because I spent month after month working with church folks who simply wanted to help neighbors who were down on their luck no matter what they looked like, or where they came from, or who they prayed to. It was on those streets, in those neighborhoods, that I first heard God's spirit beckon me. It was there that I felt called to a higher purpose -- His purpose."

I've never heard any atheist anywhere say anything like these quotes. Have you?

So I'll ask again. Do you make a habit of doubting people's proclaimed faith? If so, why? If not, why Obama?

Return to “National Politics & Government”