CEO's threaten layoffs if Obama wins

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: CEO's threaten layoffs if Obama wins

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:38 pm

if it's a legitimate "Candidate X has promised to do Y which specifically affects our industry by causing Z" then it seems like a valid thing to point out to employees. On the other hand "He's going to ruin our economy/healthcare/hair/coffee forcing us to have layoffs/high premiums/more shampoo/higher soda consumption" is pure fear mongering and seems completely inappropriate in the business place.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:How can a president end the Bush tax cuts?
Is this a serious question? Because mine was not a serious answer. Both candidates play fast and loose with the facts regarding the actual mechanisms by which tax rates are changed.

Here is Obama's website claiming that he, by name, "cut taxes for every working American".

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:17 am

Holy shit.

In Conference Call, Romney Urged Businesses To Tell Their Employees How to Vote

"I hope you make it very clear to your employees what you believe is in the best interest of your enterprise and therefore their job and their future in the upcoming elections. And whether you agree with me or you agree with President Obama, or whatever your political view, I hope, I hope you pass those along to your employees."

And the answer to the question I've been wondering all along, "How can this be legal?"

...such speech is now legal for the first time ever, thanks to the Citizen United ruling, which overturned previous Federal Election Commission laws that prohibited employers from political campaigning among employees.

In the post-Citizens United era, “there is not much political protection for at-will employees in the private sector workplace,” explains University of Marquette Law Professor Paul Secunda, a pro-union labor lawyer. "It is conceivable, under the current legal regime, that an employer like Koch could actually get away with forcing his employees, on pains of termination, to campaign for a given candidate or political party."

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Next up, once we complete the Voter ID legislation:

Legislation that allows (requires) you to vote at your workplace, and put your name on the ballot so we know you're a registered voter.

Don't laugh.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:04 pm

snoqueen wrote:Next up, once we complete the Voter ID legislation:

Legislation that allows (requires) you to vote at your workplace, and put your name on the ballot so we know you're a registered voter.

Don't laugh.

Don't be silly sno, they want fewer people to vote. Most of us would vote our conscience even if it pissed off our bosses. They aren't going to fire me, I make them money.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Nice little job you got there. Be a shame if something happened to it.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Okay, then if a company like Georgia Pacific is threatening their employees then I'm voting with my dollars. I won't be purchasing ANY product made by Georgia Pacific even if it's more expensive. THE ONLY way to get GP's attention is their dollar bottom line.

In this age of diversification I realize how difficult it is to fine tune who owns what but I can search online for more info and choose to select a purchase from another company. Right now, it's GP. Yes, I know it's a Koch subsidiary and they have more than ample wealth, multiple investments, and vast resources. It's wrong to dangle your employees over a fire pit like this. It's unethical to threaten your employees with job loss if they don't vote the employers ticket. To the creators of "Americans for Prosperity" and all their other red-white-and-blue lobby groups this is immoral. The Founding Fathers which the Koch Brothers say they follow would be APPALLED at forcing employees to register to vote at their workplace.

That's why companies like this love outsourcing outside the United States. They can demand from employees any working hours they want and DO--forget about a 40 hour 5 days a week job-- enforced slave wages, crowded dorm living conditions, underage child labor, and like FoxConn in China (makers of multiple technology devices we love) their biggest costs come from supplying safety nets around the buildings to prevent employees from committing suicide off their roof. But boy, talk about those CEO corporate profits.

Resistance is NOT futile.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:07 pm

ilikebeans wrote:...such speech is now legal for the first time ever, thanks to the Citizen United ruling, which overturned previous Federal Election Commission laws that prohibited employers from political campaigning among employees.

Another reason to repeal Citizen United. NJ has joined the list of States wanting a repeal. How did this pass with Gov Christie?

New Jersey Becomes Ninth State to Back Constitutional Amendment to Overturn Citizens United
http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/10/18-7

"New Jersey follows California, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Hawaii, New Mexico, Rhode Island and Vermont, which have already signed similar state resolutions."

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:03 pm

Instead of threatening to lay us off, why aren't the CEO's talking about the positive side of it: The 12 million jobs that they are going to create if Romney is elected? How about if they sign a pledge to that effect?

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Another week, another douchebag company head threatens his employees:

Rite-Hite owner warns employees of risks of voting Obama

Edit: I see DCB mentions this in a different thread, and includes yet another douche for good measure (Jack DeWitt of Request Foods).

Thanks, Citizens United!

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Wisconsin statute 12:07 (3) preclude threats to employees regarding election,s at least in terms of "printed matter."

"...(3) No employer or agent of an employer may distribute to any employee printed matter containing any threat, notice or information that if a particular ticket of a political party or organization or candidate is elected or any referendum question is adopted or rejected, work in the employer's place or establishment will cease, in whole or in part, or the place or establishment will be closed, or the salaries or wages of the employees will be reduced, or other threats intended to influence the political opinions or actions of the employees...."

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:41 am

This article seems to say that the Citizens Untied ruling nullifies that stuff.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:13 am

Here's a memo from your boss: vote my way or I will eliminate jobs. I sense another ALEC/Koch brothers goal at work here, not free market. ALEC needs to lose their non-profit status because they are clearly politically focused.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/27/us/po ... -vote.html

"Until 2010, federal law barred companies from using corporate money to endorse and campaign for political candidates — and that included urging employees to support specific politicians.

But the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision has freed companies from those restrictions, and now several major companies, including Georgia-Pacific and Cintas, have sent letters or information packets to their employees suggesting — and sometimes explicitly recommending — how they should vote this fall."

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:11 pm

rabble wrote:This article seems to say that the Citizens Untied ruling nullifies that stuff.

Citizens United notwithstanding, it's harassment, which doesn't have to be of a discriminatory nature, to be illegal.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:13 pm

WestSideYuppie wrote:
rabble wrote:This article seems to say that the Citizens Untied ruling nullifies that stuff.

Citizens United notwithstanding, it's harassment, which doesn't have to be of a discriminatory nature, to be illegal.

I would really, really like that to be the case but I don't think so. Not any more.

Return to “National Politics & Government”