Chicago Teachers Strike

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Chicago Teachers Strike

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:49 am

Mad Howler wrote:Perhaps a deep and durable respect of the concept of civicism. It is not too late for the L to look into this channel for it's frustrations.

I believe that Henry told us he was a graduate of a teacher's college or the like. Perhaps it was the only job he was qualified for?

John Henry

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:56 am

So Mr. Henry, the pestering works both ways. HAVE you found any evidence for standardized testing being used to evaluate teachers, and this evaluation improving overall education? Have you?

And you keep blathering about how you have asked me how I would evaluate teachers. Again, you have extremely poor reading comprehension, because I have mentioned multiple evaluation methods that I would support and encourage, some of which my former union, MTI, would oppose with a vengeance.

Once again, you and others are hell-bent on using standardized tests to evaluate teachers, when there has been NO evidence presented that this leads to improving overall education.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:50 pm

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:I taught for 30 years before I retired. I made less than ten thousand a year for my first couple years. I did not quit.

Why were you among the 54% to stay in a profession so underpaid, so little respected, with such onerous work conditions?

I didn't go into teaching because I wanted to get rich. But libertarians like you don't believe in the concept of altruism, so you wouldn't understand.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:57 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:I believe that Henry told us he was a graduate of a teacher's college or the like. Perhaps it was the only job he was qualified for?

Undergraduate majors in political science, philosophy and secondary social studies education; master's in the study of behavior disabilities (now called rehabilitation psychology). Both from the University of Wisconsin.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:32 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I didn't go into teaching because I wanted to get rich. But libertarians like you don't believe in the concept of altruism, so you wouldn't understand.

Your mean-spiritedness shines clearly, Henry Vilas.

I don't for a minute believe you went into teaching out of concern for the welfare of others. I think the reason you went into teaching in government schools was because you had no other viable options, the pay and benefits were good, and you got off on having a position of authority you could use to push around young people.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:44 am

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:I didn't go into teaching because I wanted to get rich. But libertarians like you don't believe in the concept of altruism, so you wouldn't understand.

Your mean-spiritedness shines clearly, Henry Vilas.

Psychological projection.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:50 am

Meade wrote:Your mean-spiritedness shines clearly, Henry Vilas.

I don't for a minute believe you went into teaching out of concern for the welfare of others. I think the reason you went into teaching in government schools was because you had no other viable options, the pay and benefits were good, and you got off on having a position of authority you could use to push around young people.

Ironic Post of the Year.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:51 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Psychological projection.

Pathological and neurotic defense mechanisms.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:35 am

wack wack wrote:
Meade wrote:Your mean-spiritedness shines clearly, Henry Vilas.

Ironic Post of the Year.

I wonder if he held those same beliefs about government teachers prior to marrying one.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:51 am

Beliefs about government teachers, in general?

I was only expressing what I believe about you, Henry Vilas.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:22 pm

News Corp subsidiary has a 4.7 Million dollar contract on the line for Chicago testing.
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/09/17 ... -to/189937
I'm sure their reporting on this is still fair and balanced.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:17 am

Mad Howler wrote:
Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:I taught for 30 years before I retired. I made less than ten thousand a year for my first couple years. I did not quit.

Why were you among the 54% to stay in a profession so underpaid, so little respected, with such onerous work conditions?

Perhaps a deep and durable respect of the concept of civicism.

bdog wrote:Ayn Rand is rolling over in her grave.

Henry did it because he loved to teach. A totally selfish motive, but with great results. Way to go Henry.

This Ayn Rand?!
http://atheism.about.com/b/2011/05/11/a ... killer.htm

Dog, idolatry is not admirable.

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:27 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Undergraduate majors in political science, philosophy and secondary social studies education; master's in the study of behavior disabilities (now called rehabilitation psychology). Both from the University of Wisconsin.

I stand corrected. My apologies for wrongly attributing an teachers college or the like education to you.

John Henry

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:30 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Undergraduate majors in political science, philosophy and secondary social studies education; master's in the study of behavior disabilities (now called rehabilitation psychology). Both from the University of Wisconsin.

I stand corrected. My apologies for wrongly attributing an teachers college or the like education to you.

What, no apology for suggesting that teaching was "perhaps ... the only job he was qualified for?"

Way to insult an entire noble profession, John Pendejo Henry.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:34 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote: My apologies for wrongly attributing an teachers college or the like education to you.

What exactly is a "teachers college?" Within Universities across the country there are "schools of Education" within the U, but any student will study much more than just "teaching"

Are there schools in the US, that strictly teach "teaching?"

Return to “National Politics & Government”