DNC 2012

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Re: DNC 2012

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:51 am

Henry Vilas wrote:At least Ms. Obama worked at a job, unlike Ms. Romney.

Chicago Daley Machine hack lawyer Ms. Obama was rewarded her $250 million a year job neutralizing community complaints against University of Chicago hospitals. She is no nicer or nastier than Ms. Romney, altho her man of the house bombs babies and keeps a kill list. Her speech was a huge act of national camouflage for a global capital-loving couple, two cynical lawyers on hire to the wealthiest.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:39 am

'ol Shelley? Good grief.

I wish Non-political Thread Ned would take over for the other Ned in these threads. I like to feel fresh as much as the next guy, but Political Thread Ned takes douche to toxic levels.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:48 am

It's interesting that Bush has gotten more recognition (even favorable) at the DNC than at the RNC. The Rs seem to want to avoid their own legacy.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:18 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
No way she's voluntarily going back that tedious $300K make-work job at the hospital and pot lucks at the Ayers every other Wednesday.

Why are you so resentful of her success? You must be a Democrat.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:23 am

I am retroactively predicting that none of the artists (Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Wonder, ...) will complain about their music being played at the convention.

Although it would be pretty cool if Biden walks out to the tune "journey to the center of your mind".

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Ducatista wrote:'ol Shelley? Good grief.

Obviously in bad taste and tangentially racist, no doubt. Cleary I've been caught.
Ducatista wrote:I wish Non-political Thread Ned would take over for the other Ned in these threads. I like to feel fresh as much as the next guy, but Political Thread Ned takes douche to toxic levels.

Toxic douche? Sounds dangerous! This needs to be investigated by the EPA or NSA or Big Sis ASAFP! Prolly manufactured by doomed Chinese prisoners shortly before their livers were harvested and sold to meth-addicted Arab sheiks.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Ducatista wrote:'ol Shelley? Good grief.

Obviously in bad taste and tangentially racist, no doubt.

Nope, just dumb and unfunny. Nothing new for Political Thread Ned, but that one was particularly reachy.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:11 pm

Caroline Kennedy sounded as if she were under sedation. Is that really all the enthusiasm she could muster?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:22 pm

Jennifer Granholm on the other hand, laid the smack down. Can we please have her for governor. She's got a backbone, at least.

Sometimes it takes an immigrant...

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:21 am

On Drudge's recommendation I just watched the Jennifer Grantholm speech.

Very impressive. Great delivery. Nice to see a stemwinder like that.

Two things jumped out at me:

First, they kept focusing on a woman holding up a Ford sign. Obama saved exactly zero jobs at Ford because Ford did not take a nickle of taxpayer money. That all went to GM and Chrysler.

Second, she kept taking about how he saved the "American auto Industry". Nonsense on stilts. He bailed out GM and Chrysler (2nd time) and saved them, at least temporarily. (We'll need to see where they are in 4-5 years)

They are hardly the American auto industry. They are not even the majority of the industry. The American auto industry (companies manufacturing cars here) include Toyota, Datsun, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai and more.

None of them got any taxpayer money. None of them needed it.

So, great delivery, Gov. Not so great on the basic premise of the speech.

BTW: Does anyone know if she is still a Canadian citizen? Did she give up her citizenship when she was naturalized in the US?

John Henry

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:28 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:BTW: Does anyone know if she is still a Canadian citizen? Did she give up her citizenship when she was naturalized in the US?

John Henry

No, nobody knows. Its a big secret. I'll bet even wikileaks is hiding that information.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:37 am

DCB wrote:I am retroactively predicting that none of the artists (Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Wonder, ...) will complain about their music being played at the convention.

Although it would be pretty cool if Biden walks out to the tune "journey to the center of your mind".

That would have been pretty cool, but unlike Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Wonder, I think Ted Nugent would have complained about the use of his song.

Biden sounded somewhat toasted, but not quite as much as Tommy Thompson at Lambeau.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:03 am

Dangerousman wrote:
DCB wrote:I am retroactively predicting that none of the artists (Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Wonder, ...) will complain about their music being played at the convention.

That would have been pretty cool, but unlike Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Wonder, I think Ted Nugent would have complained about the use of his song.

That was kind of my point. I would have gladly been proved wrong in that case.

As it turns out, I think my prediction was mostly correct. But I'll let the judges decide if this incident counts against me:
R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion" was used in the Fox News coverage of the Democratic National Convention last night. R.E.M. today, through its music publisher, Warner-Tamerlane Music, demanded that Fox News cease and desist from continuing its unlicensed and unauthorized use of the song. Michael Stipe said, "We have little or no respect for their puff adder brand of reportage. Our music does not belong there."

I was totally wrong about the balloons, though. They went with confetti. Must be one of those Kenyan traditions.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:49 pm

DCB wrote:I was totally wrong about the balloons, though. They went with confetti. Must be one of those Kenyan traditions.

WTF kind of convention has no balloons? Un-American, I tell you!

With all the signs they distributed to the mob-- with a couple of big shredders at work I'm sure it didn't take long to come up with the confetti.

I guess they didn't plan for balloons because it didn't occur to them that the outdoor thingie might not work out.

In Kenya they can't afford confetti, they dance to celebrate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRr9cX9wvY

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:08 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:First, they kept focusing on a woman holding up a Ford sign. Obama saved exactly zero jobs at Ford because Ford did not take a nickle of taxpayer money. That all went to GM and Chrysler.

Maybe the camera operator also found it curious that someone was holding up a Ford sign. I'm pretty sure Jennifer Granholm wasn't controlling the cameras with foot pedals.

johnfajardohenry wrote:Second, she kept taking about how he saved the "American auto Industry". Nonsense on stilts. He bailed out GM and Chrysler (2nd time) and saved them, at least temporarily. (We'll need to see where they are in 4-5 years)

Other than being argumentative, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Do you believe that the eventual failure of GM and Chrysler is unavoidable? And we're talking about jobs, not trademarks. Perhaps when you think of industry you think about corporate logos and nifty products but I think most of us think of industry as something which creates employment for people. We have biotech and insurance companies here in Madison, but I think most of us value them as sources of jobs, not because we need our DNA tested or some motorcycle insurance. So when Democrats say, "we saved the industry" what they're really talking about is saving jobs.

johnfajardohenry wrote:They are hardly the American auto industry. They are not even the majority of the industry. The American auto industry (companies manufacturing cars here) include Toyota, Datsun, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai and more.

This is one of those times where you pretend you're confused by the language of the plebes even when the meaning is as plain as day. Toyota is not an American car company.

And that brand new Datsun you've been driving around in? It was built in 1986.

Return to “National Politics & Government”