Mitt's Mexican ancestry

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Mitt's Mexican ancestry

Postby Beaver » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Mormon's from Mexico, what a surprise. Now I see why we need better border patrol.

http://news.yahoo.com/mitt-romneys-mexi ... itics.html

Mitt Romney's Mexican Roots
"In 1885, Romney's great-grandfather, Miles Park Romney, fled to Mexico to escape America's anti-polygamy laws. Along with a group of his fellow Mormons, Miles Park Romney, who had four wives and 30 children, settled in Chihuahua, Mexico, where polygamy was still legal. It was there in Mexico that Mitt Romney's grandfather, Gaskell Romney, grew up and where his father, George Romney, was born. Gaskell and George Romney moved back to America before Mitt Romney was born to avoid the violence of the Mexican Revolution."

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mitt's Mexican ancestry

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:49 pm

So does this make Mitt Romney an Hispanic or Latino? It would seem to. Only 1 generation removed from the old country. Maybe he should play this up to attract some of the Mexican American vote.

Also, what about his citizenship? His father was a Mexican citizen by birth (born in Mexico). If George did not renounce his citizenship before Mitt's birth, Mitt would have been a Mexican citizen by birth.

So was Mitt ever a Mexican citizen? If so, did he ever renounce his Mexican citizenship?

Regardless of any of the above, he is 100% qualified as a natural born citizen to be president.

Unlike one of the 2008 candidates.

John Henry

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:02 pm

^unbelievable :)

Ok, true, McCain was born in Panama.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Now Mitt says he wishes he had some Latino ancestry. Like this?:

JibJab La Cucaracha by Rod Tafoya
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsG15dGcfVc

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:29 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Also, what about his citizenship? His father was a Mexican citizen by birth (born in Mexico).

Wait up a sec. Didn't George run for pres in '68? How could he be president if he's not an American citizen?

[edit for stupidity]: Sorry. I'm just now catching up on this birth certificate thing. I don't seem to be able to keep track of all the crap going on in the campaign(s), work, walk and chew gun at the same time

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:49 am

Oh Curtis, pay attention, will ya?

I liked this part:

I don't seem to be able to keep track of all the crap going on in the campaign(s), work, walk and chew gun [sic] at the same time

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:32 am

chainsawcurtis wrote:ad
Wait up a sec. Didn't George run for pres in '68? How could he be president if he's not an American citizen?

I did not mean to infer that he was not an American citizen. He would have acquired citizenship the same way McCain did by being born to American citizen parents.

I suspect that Romney was a Mexican citizen as well as an American citizen. Caveats for assuming that he never renounced it and that Mexican citizenship was by birth then as now.

I do not think he was a "natural born citizen" in the meaning of the presidential qualification clause. Some disagree but I understand this to require birth in the US, not just US citizenship at birth from parents.

I never thought McCain was qualified because of this.

John Henry

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:38 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:I do not think he was a "natural born citizen" in the meaning of the presidential qualification clause. Some disagree but I understand this to require birth in the US, not just US citizenship at birth from parents.

Why the hell does this matter? Here is an example for you. A family goes to Mexico and the wife is pregnant. Something happens and she gives birth earlier than suspected and has to do it in Mexico. Is the kid not a US citizen then? If you think so, then what is the difference with someone visiting overseas vs. living overseas for a whole variety of reasons.

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Why the hell does this matter? Here is an example for you. A family goes to Mexico and the wife is pregnant. Something happens and she gives birth earlier than suspected and has to do it in Mexico. Is the kid not a US citizen then? If you think so, then what is the difference with someone visiting overseas vs. living overseas for a whole variety of reasons.

Of course the kid is a citizen. I would not think it necessary to spell it out but apparently it is here in this forum and I wrote an extra note earlier to be especially clear. I am assuming that the family in your example is US citizens, not just US residents or visitors.

The child is a citizen by virtue of law or statute and that can be changed tomorrow by simple majority vote in the House and Senate.

Same holds true of someone like McCain.

Or George Romney. (Probably. I do not know the exact laws of the US or Mexico at the time of his birth and don't care enough to look)

Those of us born in the US are citizens by the 14th Amendment of the Constitution. As is the Mexican kid who is born in the US, however brief his mother's stay, reason for being here (unless they are diplomats), or even legal status.

What the kid born in Mexico is not, in the opinion of many, is a "natural born citizen" because they were not born on US soil. Some disagree that this is a Constitutional requirement but many others, including myself, think it is.

It is certainly a historical custom. Every single president to date has been born in the US. Arthur is a possible exception. Some say he may have been born in Canada but that has never been proven and it is generally accepted that he was born in the US. He certainly claimed to be.

Or, to be painfully obvious again, what became the US. In the case of Washington, Adams, Jefferson and some others.

John Henry

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Stebben84 wrote:If you think so, then what is the difference with someone visiting overseas vs. living overseas for a whole variety of reasons.

None whatsoever.

John Henry

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:45 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Or, to be painfully obvious again...

...that you have an idiocentric view of our Constitution that goes against how the Supreme Court interprets that document.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:51 pm

"Some" disagree with JH's interpretation.
classic

He should write a paper or book about his opinion so he can claim expertise on the subject.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:52 pm

I don't think libs want to play this game.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:54 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Those of us born in the US are citizens by the 14th Amendment of the Constitution. As is the Mexican kid who is born in the US, however brief his mother's stay, reason for being here (unless they are diplomats), or even legal status.

What the kid born in Mexico is not, in the opinion of many, is a "natural born citizen" because they were not born on US soil. Some disagree that this is a Constitutional requirement but many others, including myself, think it is.

Please show me mention of the term "natural born citizen" in the 14th Amendment.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I don't think libs want to play this game.

Care to elucidate?

Return to “National Politics & Government”