Uh oh. Romney's pro-life extremism revealed

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Uh oh. Romney's pro-life extremism revealed

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Meade wrote:
DCB wrote:The Republicans platform makes abortion illegal, with no exceptions.

Wow! And I thought only the Legislature could make laws and make things illegal.

For your benefit, I'll clarify: the platform supports legislation making abortion illegal. This has been the Republican platform for years. And they certainly have the paper trail to prove it.

So its kind of strange for Romney to imply the Democrats are trying to make a political issue. Its as if he is completely out of touch with Republicans.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:13 pm

Okay, DCB, completely out of touch? I think a reasonable person would see it as a difference of opinion.

So do you know what the Democrat Party platform on abortion is? Does it include any restrictions at all? Or is it like up until the age of seven?

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:38 pm

Meade wrote: President Ovama.

Oh no - I did it again. I am such an idiot.

Not President Ovama. President Barack Obama, the pro-abortion without restrictions president.

Btw, hilarious the way Henry Vilas demands that others answer his very important questions while he himself dodges questions asked of him. Have you ever seen such a drip? (You don't have to answer that.)

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:12 pm

So, Meade, how upset are you that Romneycare covers FREE abortions?

And when are you going to try and answer my question -- if life begins at conception, do identical twins share the same soul, or do they each have half a soul? Just because you can't answer it doesn't make the question disingenuous.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:27 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:So, Meade, how upset are you that Romneycare covers FREE abortions?

Not upset at all, Stu. Let Bay Staters govern Bay Staters and Wisconsinites govern themselves.

Stu Levitan wrote:And when are you going to try and answer my question -- if life begins at conception, do identical twins share the same soul, or do they each have half a soul? Just because you can't answer it doesn't make the question disingenuous.

Did I say it was disingenuous? Do you believe in "souls", Stu?

So Stu, would you care to answer the question Henry Vilas dares not?
Do you believe that what makes an entity human is a woman's fully autonomous choice to become a mother and until a woman willingly chooses to be a mother, that entity (or entities) developing from her ova should be legally exterminable? Yes or no?

I'd be sincerely interested in what you have to say, Stu.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:45 pm

Meade wrote:Okay, DCB, completely out of touch? I think a reasonable person would see it as a difference of opinion.

Ok, maybe Romney is well aware that Republicans all over the country have been aggressively pushing restrictions on abortion with a single-minded obsession. But he doesn't want to admit that. He's running for President, for Pete's sake! Hence, the lying.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Yeah, you said it was disingenuous. Don't pretend otherwise.
Yes, I believe in an immortal soul. One to a customer.
I also believe in Heaven and Hell, but that's for another discussion.
Now answer my question.

The question you pose is so poorly drafted, hard to know exactly what it is asking. No reference to viability? When is "choice" determined? Can you reframe so I know exactly what you're asking?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm always a bit confused by the political doublespeak of Republicans that are willing to concede abortion rights in cases of rape or incest, yet they insist that abortion is murder. So if a woman is raped, you're ok with murdering the baby? That doesn't seem right.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:12 pm

pjbogart wrote:I'm always a bit confused by the political doublespeak of Republicans that are willing to concede abortion rights in cases of rape or incest, yet they insist that abortion is murder. So if a woman is raped, you're ok with murdering the baby? That doesn't seem right.

I think Akin made their position very clear: they're willing to outlaw abortion except for cases of rape or incest because they don't believe that rape and incest really exist--they believe that allegations of rape and incest are nothing more than morning-after revenge by guilt-ridden sluts who deserve to be punished through enforced pregnancy and childbirth.

They'll tell you differently, no doubt, but they're lying.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:18 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Yeah, you said it was disingenuous. Don't pretend otherwise.

Are you sure? Can you give me a link? I'm not saying I didn't say it, it's just that it doesn't sound like me. I usually don't use such an overused pussycat word. If I think you're dishonest, I usually just come out and say it. Unless I think you're lying, in which case I'll just plain call you a liar.

Stu Levitan wrote:Yes, I believe in an immortal soul. One to a customer.
I also believe in Heaven and Hell, but that's for another discussion.
Now answer my question.

Okay. Here is my answer: That's above my pay grade. In other words, I honestly don't know. But if I'm going to err, I reckon I'll err on the side of identical twins sharing the same soul until they become two separately animated bodies.

Stu Levitan wrote:The question you pose is so poorly drafted, hard to know exactly what it is asking. No reference to viability? When is "choice" determined? Can you reframe so I know exactly what you're asking?

Choice is determined when the woman says it is determined. I am not asking about viability. We're not talking about taking it out of the body of the mother and asking it to live. I mean, if you take the entity outside of the mother and it lives, you have a problem, don't you? You'll need to give it some medical care, won't you? If you're choosing to have an abortion, you're intention is not to have the entity live, you're intention is to have it not live.

Stu, if viability is where you want to draw the line, as the Supreme Court has done, that's fine. But that is not what I was asking.

By the way, Stu, when do you believe the soul - one to a customer - enters the body? When the body becomes wanted by the mother? Or later - when the body becomes "viable"?

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:20 pm

pjbogart wrote:I'm always a bit confused by the political doublespeak of Republicans that are willing to concede abortion rights in cases of rape or incest, yet they insist that abortion is murder. So if a woman is raped, you're ok with murdering the baby? That doesn't seem right.

Is killing always "murder"? Murder is a legal term. Stu can probably answer that for us. I believe he is a lawyer.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:55 am

Meat is murder, abortion is murder, mercy killing is murder.

Appropriately we have different penalties for each.

I would like to see abortion freely available and encouraged.

I would like to see euthanasia legalized.

I would like to see Stu and Meade talk about Bob Dylan.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:01 am

Now wait just a doggone minute.

What is the penalty for bacon? Free-range bacon. A full 5 on the humanely-raised scale bacon.

I'm not interested in Bob Dylan, bdog. Only his music. In fact, not even his music. I'm only interested in his lyrics.

Hey, bdog (you good dog, you), when do you predict Stu and/or Henry Vilas* will give their answers to my question? Ever?

*The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Vilas is that his name wasn’t Henry Vilas.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:06 am

The penalty for bacon is clogged arteries.

Don't put Stu in the same category as that other person. Stu has got the guts to say what he thinks. Henry says whatever he thinks the collective will approve.

Now surely you didn't see Dylan twice in a week's time only to hear the lyrics. Admit it. The man still brings the sexy.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:42 am

Well, that is true - the chicks do seem to dig the old man - his quirky little dances and tic-y little gestures. Young chicks, not so young chicks, old chicks, and not so old chicks - they all still want to go to bed with the Septuagenarian Gemini grandpa song and dance man.

What I've liked about his live performances over the past twenty years or so is the way he rephrases each familiar song to make it new and current and it forces the listener to hear and think about every line and word.

It drives many in the audience nuts that the songs sound so little like the original recorded versions. But many of us find it delightfully entertaining.

Return to “National Politics & Government”