RNC in Tampa

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: RNC in Tampa

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:57 am

ilikebeans wrote:the idea of a general political commonwealth as expressed through the national government, which has been the great engine behind the expansion of the country's size, the country's wealth, and, yes, the country's freedom.

Are we not still the United States of America?

Or did we somehow become the United Provinces (Counties, Shires, sectors, call it what you like) of America while I wasn't paying attention?

From the sound of the quote, Beans, I either missed something or the writer doesn't know what they are talking about.

John Henry

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:24 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:From the sound of the quote, Beans, I either missed something or the writer doesn't know what they are talking about.

Try reading the entire article before commenting.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:09 pm

"I have to say, personally, I thought it was one of the most off-key keynote speeches I ever heard," Wallace said.

He noted that Christie said the word "I" 37 times, "Romney" seven times, and "jobs" one time.

"[I]t seemed sometimes as if he was promoting his own candidacy more than he was Mitt Romney's," Wallce added. "People liked the speech, but not nearly the kind of intense reaction to it and intense listening to it that there was for Ann Romney."

I personally thought Ann Romney sounded bad. She came across as plastic and not sincere. I'm also sick of the old "pulled ourselves up by the bootstraps" when they were in college. BULLSHIT. You were able to cash out daddies stock options to survive.

In terms of Christie, I fully agree. I thought his speech was awful and self serving. His whole "tell it like it is" approach makes him sound more like an asshole than a leader.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:23 pm

Republican Attendees Threw Nuts At Black CNN Camerawoman, Called Her An 'Animal'

Two attendees at the Republican National Convention were thrown out of the convention center in Tampa on Tuesday after throwing nuts at a black CNN camerawoman and saying, "this is how we feed the animals."

CNN reported that multiple witnesses saw it happen, and police immediately removed the two people from the premises. Former MSNBC and Current host David Shuster, who is attending the convention, tweeted about the incident earlier on Tuesday:

The convention condemned the incident in a statement, saying, "Two attendees tonight exhibited deplorable behavior. Their conduct was inexcusable and unacceptable. This kind of behavior will not be tolerated."

Huh. They're shocked. Shocked.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:38 pm

From Ann Romney's speech:
You may not agree on Mitt's decisions on issues or his
politics.... But -- but let me say this to every American who is
thinking about who should be our next president. No one will
work harder.

So Mitt will work harder (than Obama, I assume) on decisions on issues and politics one might not agree with. How is that a selling point?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:40 pm

How is that a selling point?

Because Democrats are lazy.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:42 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
How is that a selling point?

Because Democrats are lazy.

Yeah, and they don't work on hard problems, only the easy ones.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:14 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Does it seem to anyone else that the Democrats slogan could just as well be "We Built It" while the Republicans really should have gone with 'I Built It"?

Yes! This! I just can't get over the way that the Republicans keep on using the first person plural while acting as though each and every one of them is one of Ayn Rand's self-created supermen. Oh -- with the acknowledged help of parents, spouses, other family members, friends, former bosses and co-workers, other business owners, the community at large, various teachers, their alma mater, the armed forces, the GI Bill, the nation's founders... lots of gratitude to spread around. Because we built it, so you darn well better not go around saying that I didn't build it, because we did! And it just goes on and on.

This morning on WPR I could swear I heard a Republican arguing that the government didn't build the interstate highway system because we paid for it with our taxes, therefore taxpayers built the interstate highway system. Not the government. Which I guess just collected the taxes. Admittedly I was half asleep when I heard this, but I don't think that even I could make this sort of stuff up.

I'm beginning to think that the problem isn't that the Republicans can't figure out that we all sink or swim, or build "it" if you prefer, together, but rather that they're scared silly of not being able to control who gets included in "we." I mean, what if President Obama's "we" includes "those" people, people we don't like, people who disagree with us, poor people, foreign people, people with ungodly beliefs and strange customs, people we've ignored, people we've ripped off, and people who just might turn out to be better than us after all? Maybe the visceral Republican reaction is more an assertion of tribal boundaries than any sort of rational statement about the role of government in building the national economy? Or a fear that old chickens are coming home to roost -- if we all built it then maybe we all deserve a share in what we built. Either way, I'm thinking that Obama's inclusiveness has got them panicked; perhaps they can't really be held responsible for what they say at this point. On national TV. With the whole world watching.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:25 pm

The GOP "big tent" is shrinking.

(Ron) Paul's supporters shouted and booed when rules were adopted as part of the Republican Party's official platform that would hinder the kind of grassroots campaign that carried Paul to the national convention.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:52 pm

I thought the idea of a national political convention was to mark the end of the primary and start focusing on the general election. This would mean that you stuff the nutcases in a closet and start reaching out to the moderate and independent voters who will help you win. Apparently in Republican world, moderate and independent voters are women, women and women.

It seems to me like they're still desperately seeking the votes of people who are already going to vote for them. I don't get that.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:00 pm

Has anyone else been following Jenna Pope at the RNC (@BatmanWI on twitter) and her photography covering the protests? Its been ...ahem...educational.

-Dan Motor

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:05 pm

We built that!

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:This morning on WPR I could swear I heard a Republican arguing that the government didn't build the interstate highway system because we paid for it with our taxes, therefore taxpayers built the interstate highway system. Not the government.

I've heard that argument elsewhere. Its a grudging acceptance that some gov't projects are acceptable, but the gov't shouldn't take any credit for it.

So that nice meal I had the other day? I built that! Certainly not the cook, because I paid him. But wait, I paid him with my salary. So maybe my employer cooked it? But that money came from our customers.....

I guess it really does take a village. Or in the case of the RNC, a village of idiots.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Ryan is a lying fuck who took stimulus money. Nice speech liar.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Ryan blamed Obama for the credit downgrade, while somehow forgetting that Ryan himself was a member of the Simpson-Bowles Commission, who subsequently voted against making the Commission's recommendations law.

Ryan also made a passionate call for enabling college graduates to get out of their parents' houses and start their life, and yet, he forgot to mention the Republican push to double interest rates on college loans.

He also criticized old fuddyduddy Romney's choice of music, and then proceeded to mention a couple of his favorites, neither of which are American bands. I can guess the reasons for this one.

Return to “National Politics & Government”