Texas Preparing for Civil War

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Texas Preparing for Civil War

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:40 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Social Security Admin is buying 174,000 hollow point rounds

NOAA also recently bought 150,000 rounds of hollow point ammo

USDA, Forest Service and other agencies are also stockpiling hollow point ammo huge

Where is this information? It's not in your link.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/1 ... f=business

Here is the SSA request for bid, scroll to page 4 for the spec and count:

http://cnsnews.com/sites/default/files/ ... ULLETS.pdf

For the National Weather Service:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity ... b&_cview=0

Maybe the NWS is going after global warming deniers.

John Henry

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:43 pm

In a further attempt to explain the purchase request, the federal agency said SSA agents have duties comparable to state and federal law enforcement officials. The agency also makes a similar purchase every year, according to the SSA.

That hasn't stopped the Internet from spreading conspiracy theories.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:47 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
In a further attempt to explain the purchase request, the federal agency said SSA agents have duties comparable to state and federal law enforcement officials. The agency also makes a similar purchase every year, according to the SSA.

That hasn't stopped the Internet from spreading conspiracy theories.

Damn Internet, spreading conspiracy theories. Where does it get off doing that? Everyone knows that's the job of the chemtrails the CIA etches in the stratosphere.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:50 pm

That hasn't stopped the Internet from spreading conspiracy theories. Take The Examiner, which has connected the purchase of ammunition with the Department of Homeland Security's recent request for 450 million bullets.

Well, add examiner.com to the list of JH's "news" sources.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:30 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:So who do these agencies intend to be shooting?

John Henry

I think John's scaring himself with his own signature. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:56 pm

It's the Rs secret plan to keep Social Security solvent indefinitely. Shoot the recipients.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:41 pm

I haven't been keeping up with Drudge, the examiner, Free Republic, and the like. Have they been freaking out about the full-scale SWAT geat that DHS has been handing out to local police for the last 10 years?

Just wondering.

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:14 pm

DCB wrote:I haven't been keeping up with Drudge, the examiner, Free Republic, and the like. Have they been freaking out about the full-scale SWAT geat that DHS has been handing out to local police for the last 10 years?

Just wondering.

Yes.

Don't know about Free republic since I almost never go there. But in general, yes. They and other sites, have been freaking out about the dramatic increase in SWAT raids in the past 5-10 years. Especially the raids on wrong house or for very minor crimes like unpaid traffic tickets.They blame the increase in raids on the excess gear these local departments and their perceived need to use it.

Instapundit and Reason Magazine have been two sites that have been pretty vocal.

John Henry

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:19 pm

Swatting is another thing that seems to be on the rise and that they have been fairly vocal against as well.

Swatting is when someone spoofs a person's phone and claims there is a violent crime in progress in that person's house.

The SWAT team deploys and creates all sorts of mayhem. The general policy nowadays seems to be to put everyone, even young children, in handcuffs until they get things sorted out. If there are any dogs, they often get shot, no matter how small.

John Henry

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:32 pm

John, have you ever had a psychological examination for paranoia/schizophrenia? You seem to be suffering a lot of irrational fears, and seeing a psychiatrist doesn't have nearly the stigma that it used to. I saw a shrink for OCD and learned a lot about my condition. I don't do anything weird like pull out my hair or have troubles walking up stairs, but I need to be surrounded by constant white noise because my brain fails to block out stimulus like birds, crickets, clocks, etc. I also get terrible adrenaline rushes from playing stressful video games (which is why I love them so much!)

Basically, we all have our quirks, and some of them are harmless and just learning about them is a big step in the right direction. But your fear of the government approaches something that doesn't seem so harmless. And you seem genuinely convinced of things that cause average people to snicker. You might want to look into that.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:56 am

"Swatting" is a new term for me and I thought that was odd since I know so many liberal geeks, so I googled it a little bit. It's a legitimate asshole prank that has resulted in people getting guns in their faces with the kids upstairs asleep. And some of them were conservative bloggers, which prompted a federal investigation. The FBI has warned the SWAT organization that swatting is a real concern.

But I can only find a few cases, none of which mention putting the whole family in handcuffs, and no mention of them ever shooting the family dog.

And I'm stopping there. I'm satisfied that John Thomas has deliberately taken real incidents and "embellished" them to make the police look worse than they are.

Which is really fucking odd, considering that what we saw in the occupy movement was enough to make me believe the police don't particularly care about the constitution when rich people are inconvenienced.

Also: is it ironic that the militarization of the police, which John Thomas decries, was started by Ronald Reagan?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:30 am

Where's Ma Sheehan when you need her?

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:56 am

rabble wrote:
But I can only find a few cases, none of which mention putting the whole family in handcuffs, and no mention of them ever shooting the family dog.

You didn't find this?
http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/2010/0 ... uana-bust/
A Columbia, Missouri SWAT team breaks into the house of Jonathan Whitworth, shoots and kills a dog in the presence of a small child and the man’s wife, shoots and wounds a second dog, all over a grinder, a pipe and a small amount of marijuana.

Granted, this wasn't a prank 'swatting' situation, it was a 'legitimate' raid(*): they really did find drugs in the house.

According to Reason, there have been other cases of cops killing dogs during raids.

I agree with your larger point - these kinds of situations are (thankfully) rare. But it does happen.

(*) its only legitimate if you accept the use of actual military tactics as part of the 'war on drugs'.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:06 am

No, no. I knew swat teams and cops have killed dogs before. And put kids in handcuffs.

Just not where swatting is involved. I couldn't find any cases where someone had spoofed the phone number and the cops had done those things.

In matters where the cops knew where they were going, or when the raid didn't even involve a 911 phone call, yeah.

And now I see that the OP was just talking about SWAT teams in general in the last paragraph, thereby absolving himself from the implication that swatting kills dogs.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:07 am

pjbogart wrote:Well, Lubbock anyway. Apparently the county judge and sheriff have spoken about the possibility of UN troops invading Lubbock to, um... well, maybe to take away their guns? Doesn't sound like a bad idea, really.

Texas judge warns of U.S. 'civil war'

“Now what happens? What happens? Now I’m not talking just talking riots here and there. I’m talking Lexington, Concord, take up arms, get rid of the dictator. OK, what do you think he is going to do when that happens? He is going to call in the UN troops, personnel carriers, tanks and weapons,” Head added.

Head, saying he has “got to look at the worst case scenario,” told FOX 34 that if the UN tries to invade Lubbock County, “I’m going to be standing in front of their personnel carriers and say, ‘You’re not coming in here.’”

“And I’ve asked the Sheriff. I said, ‘Are you going to back me on this?’ And he said, ‘Yeah, I’m going to back you.’ Well, I don’t want a bunch of rookies back there who have no training and little equipment. I want seasoned veteran people who are trained that have got equipment. And even then, you know we may have two or three hundred deputies facing maybe a thousand UN troops. We may have to call out the militia,” Head said.

Return to “National Politics & Government”