So long, Joe

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: So long, Joe

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:51 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Obama will be the nominee but if he sees himself doing really badly, Mondale or McGovern level badly, I see a possibility of him giving up rather than going down with the ship. If he does, I now expect it to happen in October.

What are you fucking talking about. Not a remote chance in hell any of this is going to happen. You make yourself look stupid by even mentioning it.

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:05 pm

fisticuffs wrote: Obama-Hillary ticket would put this thing in the bag and lead towards a Hillary 2016 campaign that would be pretty tough to beat as well.

This is not the only place I've seen this comment re Hilary in 2016. I've also seen it over and over and over again over the past 50 or so years that I have followed politics. That is the idea that being VP gives one an advantage in running for president.

I have never understood this thinking, especially by people who should know better.

In the history of the US we have had 2 sitting VPs run and win the presidency. Most recently Bush.

We have had several who have served as VP sit out a term or 2 and go on to win the presidency. Nixon is one example. I think he is the only example in the last 112 years.

In Caro's latest volume on LBJ he does point out one of the primary reasons why he accepted the VP nomination. 1 in 5 of all presidents had died in office. LBJ thought that he had a statistical chance of becoming Prez by Kennedy's death (He was in very poor health)

In the 20th century, the odds were even better for the VP. 1 in 3 presidents died in office.(up to 1960)

Saying that Hilary as VP would lead to her being president is really pretty ghoulish. Not saying that of you, of course, I doubt most people even think about the numbers on this.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:33 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:I doubt most people even think about the numbers on this.

Speaking of numbers, how many VP's have been replaced in a second term campaign. On a related note, how many presidential candidates have backed out of the race a month before the election?

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:56 pm

Stebben84 wrote:What are you fucking talking about.

Sailor working on a machine: "Fuck, this fucking fucker is fucked"

Shipmate: "You are in some danger of becoming monotonous."

Nichloas Monserrat in "Breaking In, Breaking Out" (or perhaps "The Cruel Sea")

I'll bet you are the kind of person who goes around telling people how "proud" you are of your tattoos, right?

In any event, I have a longstanding offer here to bet $5 on Obama not being a candidate in November. Nobody so far has been confident enough to take me up on it.

What about you, care to put your money where your mouth is?

John Henry

Not a remote chance in hell any of this is going to happen. You make yourself look stupid by even mentioning it.[/quote]

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Fuckitee, fuck fuck, shit fuck fucker fuck.

I could care less what you think of my language. Get off your high horse.

Got those stats yet?

$50 dollars to the charity of our choices.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:10 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:In any event, I have a longstanding offer here to bet $5 on Obama not being a candidate in November. Nobody so far has been confident enough to take me up on it.

You're on. By the way, why did you ignore Steve Vokers when he accepted your offer?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Yeah, fuck off about the language, prissy wimp. Contrary to what you learned in parochial school, you don't really win a fucking argument by complaining about the language used in the fucking refutation.

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:46 pm

O.J. wrote:
johnfajardohenry wrote:In any event, I have a longstanding offer here to bet $5 on Obama not being a candidate in November. Nobody so far has been confident enough to take me up on it.

You're on. By the way, why did you ignore Steve Vokers when he accepted your offer?

OK, same deal? I pay $5 to ADRA if Obama is the candidate, you pay $5 to the food pantry if he is not.

When did Steve accept my offer? I missed that but will be happy to make the same bet.

I think he wanted to bet $100 on Biden, not $5 on Obama. Steve, if you want $5 on Obama, I'll be happy to take you on as well. Same terms as with OJ.

Or if you want $5 on Biden.

Both bets run til election day.
John Henry

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:52 pm

rabble wrote:Yeah, fuck off about the language, prissy wimp. Contrary to what you learned in parochial school, you don't really win a fucking argument by complaining about the language used in the fucking refutation.

Very adult.

FWIW, I didn't go to parochial school. I spent more than 7 years in the Navy so I suspect that I could outswear you if we were to have a contest.

I find this constant need to swear here more childish than offensive. It shows a lack of imagination and creativity. "Fuck" seldom, here in this forum, adds anything to the conversation. Break out of your lockstep conformity. Try something new.

So what about you, Rabble, are you proud of yout tattoos too?

John Henry

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:52 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:OK, same deal? I pay $5 to ADRA if Obama is the candidate, you pay $5 to the food pantry if he is not.

Yup.

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:55 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Got those stats yet?

Which stats were those?

Stebben84 wrote:$50 dollars to the charity of our choices.

My offer is $5. Not $50.

You want $5, you're on.

John Henry

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:53 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Very adult.

How the fuck would you know?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:06 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Which stats were those?

Stebben84 wrote:Speaking of numbers, how many VP's have been replaced in a second term campaign. On a related note, how many presidential candidates have backed out of the race a month before the election?

I'll take your pissy $5 bet. My charity is Doctors Without Borders.

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:52 pm

I was the one making the original offer. And obviously ol' Mr. John Henry ain't so confident of his prediction as to accept it, even though I'm confident enough in mine to offer the wager. Which still stands.

Do I smell chicken?

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:54 am

I hate my fucking tattoos.

I think the inclusion of the word "fucking" here, helps to convey my tone on this subject better than if it wasn't there. So yes, the dirty words have their place.

Return to “National Politics & Government”