"Somebody else did that"

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby Vinnie P » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:48 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Then you learned to work as a team, right?

And benefited from the GI bill no doubt. You serve, we help pay for college. Did you also create the VA? I'm not saying you don't deserve it, you deserve more. I'm just saying you've benefited from greatly from America's social system and infrastructure. It is really a sad day if you can't see that.

I learned how to work as part of a team long before I was recruited.

You are making a false assumption. You did not help me pay for college. I had both of my degrees before I was recruited. In fact, those degrees are in large part why I was recruited. The only part of my education that you had anything to do with paying for was Basic Training and Officer Training School while I was in the service.

I do not use any of my VA benefits. I wasn't happy with what they had to offer, so I went out and made myself a better deal.

America's social system and infrastructure did not build my business. It is really a sad day if you can't see that.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:51 pm

Vinnie P wrote:America's social system and infrastructure did not build my business.

No, but without it, your business would not exist.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:53 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:And benefited from the GI bill no doubt. You serve, we help pay for college. Did you also create the VA? I'm not saying you don't deserve it, you deserve more.

VA is not a gift. It is not educational welfare like student loans, Pell grants and so on (whether or not those are a good thing)

VA benefits, including educational benefits, are a part of the pay package for military.

Many companies have educational benefits as part of their compensation package. So does the military. Tuition assistance for those on active duty. VA for those who got out.

John Henry

How is a student loan welfare? It's a loan that is paid back. Sure you can argue about the lower interest rates but since my clients have loans in the 2%-6.5% range we aren't talking about a huge discount if any.

Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:56 pm

wack wack wrote:I invite everyone who thinks they did it all themselves to disavow themselves of any and all police and fire protection. See how long you keep what you think you did.

Why should I or anyone else "disavow" ourselves of things that we pay for? Do you have some mechanism that would allow me a rebate on the things I don't use? Because if you do, I'll take back all of that police and fire money that I had taken from me right now!

That being said, I have never needed the fire department, but I don't mind paying for it because one day I might need them. The police are another story. I've never needed them and I doubt that I ever will. I'm more than willing to take my chances without them. Just give me back my money and I'll deal with my own protection. I do that now anyway, even though I'm forced to pay them.

Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Vinnie P wrote:America's social system and infrastructure did not build my business.

It wouldn't matter. We'd be cave dwelling hunter-gatherers. It wouldn't exist in it's current form, but it would still exist. I might even like it better that way.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Vinnie P wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:

It wouldn't matter. We'd be cave dwelling hunter-gatherers. It wouldn't exist in it's current form, but it would still exist. I might even like it better that way.

It was interesting reading your side until this post. Now I realize it was all for show. Unalbe to concede a point, except the fire department, you take it out to its natural extreme not to give in. I would like living in caves if that meant the government wouldn't be here.

Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:23 pm

HawkHead wrote:It was interesting reading your side until this post. Now I realize it was all for show. Unalbe to concede a point, except the fire department, you take it out to its natural extreme not to give in. I would like living in caves if that meant the government wouldn't be here.

All for show? I don't even know what you mean by that.

Are you saying that YOU would like living in caves if that meant the government wouldn't be here? Or are you accusing me of saying that? If the second, I didn't say that.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Have you ever lived in a third world country where government supported infrastructure is lacking? Think about it. Unless you went to private schools your k-12 schooling was paid for by the government and your higher education was subsidized. You use roads the government built and pay for things with money the government backs so it works across the country (not to mention the value it holds all over the world). Or do you think you live alone in a cave?

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Vinnie P wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:

Really? I had no idea you and your business were that important to the rest of us.

Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:17 pm

peripat wrote:Have you ever lived in a third world country where government supported infrastructure is lacking? Think about it. Unless you went to private schools your k-12 schooling was paid for by the government and your higher education was subsidized. You use roads the government built and pay for things with money the government backs so it works across the country (not to mention the value it holds all over the world). Or do you think you live alone in a cave?

No, I've never lived in a third world country where government supported infrastructure is lacking, but I have been to a few. I've spent time in Africa, Iraq, Afganistan, Haiti, and a few other places. It wasn't pretty.

I did go to private school. I paid my own tuition at college. If it was subsidized behind the scenes, I've paid a shit ton of taxes to cover it, and I'm still paying. yes, I use the roads, but again, I pay taxes.

Obviously there are perks to living in a first world country. I don't think anyone is denying that. That doesn't mean that the government or society built my business. I made that happen. The only money I ever got from the government was in the form of a paycheck. Now maybe other people got subsidies or tax breaks or loans from the government, but I'm not one of them. I'm also not unique in that. To say that anyone with a business didn't build it and that someone else made that happen is just a big fat lie. It's also an insult.

If all of us with businesses just got them handed to us by the government, then why doesn't everybody have one?

Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Detritus wrote:Really? I had no idea you and your business were that important to the rest of us.

Now you do. :roll:

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Vinnie P wrote:Obviously there are perks to living in a first world country. I don't think anyone is denying that. That doesn't mean that the government or society built my business. I made that happen. The only money I ever got from the government was in the form of a paycheck. Now maybe other people got subsidies or tax breaks or loans from the government, but I'm not one of them. I'm also not unique in that. To say that anyone with a business didn't build it and that someone else made that happen is just a big fat lie. It's also an insult.

Yeah. It's also true that NOBODY - I'll repeat myself - FUCKING NOBODY said someone else made it happen.

We ARE saying that you couldn't have done it without the infrastructure the government put in place and to say you didn't need that infrastructure is ungrateful and an insult to everyone who came before you.

Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:35 pm

rabble wrote:
Vinnie P wrote:Obviously there are perks to living in a first world country. I don't think anyone is denying that. That doesn't mean that the government or society built my business. I made that happen. The only money I ever got from the government was in the form of a paycheck. Now maybe other people got subsidies or tax breaks or loans from the government, but I'm not one of them. I'm also not unique in that. To say that anyone with a business didn't build it and that someone else made that happen is just a big fat lie. It's also an insult.

Yeah. It's also true that NOBODY - I'll repeat myself - FUCKING NOBODY said someone else made it happen.

We ARE saying that you couldn't have done it without the infrastructure the government put in place and to say you didn't need that infrastructure is ungrateful and an insult to everyone who came before you.

No. That isn't true. The President of the United States said it. You may not like him, but he is not nobody. He's the President of the United States and that makes him a mighty big somebody.

Yeah, I used the infrastructure. I also paid for it.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Vinnie P wrote:No. That isn't true. The President of the United States said it.
You're mistaken, Vinnie. It's well established he did not say that. You may secretly wish he had, but no, he didn't.

Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:46 pm

fennel wrote:
Vinnie P wrote:No. That isn't true. The President of the United States said it.
You're mistaken, Vinnie. It's well established he did not say that. You may secretly wish he had, but no, he didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j8XhQfvpW8

Return to “National Politics & Government”