What's your favorite obama lie?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What's your favorite obama lie?

Postby wack wack » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:49 am

Cornbread wrote:Didn't zerobams have a fillibuster proof congress for his first two years?

Nope, just another lie from the right.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:56 am

Nice op-ed piece. I'd like to see his statistics since he didn't provide any.

sallybell

Postby sallybell » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:10 am

Stu Levitan wrote:How'd your folks like La Fete?

I think they had a good time, especially my dad--he's a big zydeco fan. I think my mom was a little less impressed, but that's why we did the Art Fair on the Square, too--that's more her scene.

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:02 am

Obama wrote:Expand the child and dependent care credit

Give welfare mothers even more money for every kid they pop out?!

Good thing for America that Obama is such a filthy liar or we'd be even more screwed than we already are.

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:16 am

"The really big lie is that those who oppose raising taxes on higher incomes simply want people with higher incomes to have more money, in hopes that some of their prosperity will "trickle down" to the rest of the people."
DUH! Rich people just want to keep their money. Liberals all know that those who want to lower taxes on the wealthy or even just maintain their current tax rate aren't concerned with money and jobs trickling down. That's not a lie by Obama. That's a lie that started with Reagan, who tried to sugar coat giving tax breaks to the wealthy by saying that their increased wealth would trickle down to the poor and middle class. I think it's hilarious that he tried to flip the "trickle down" lie onto Obama. What a boob!

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:46 am

The small children did sing that Dear Leader was going to change things, re-arrange things and he's certainly trying to do that, no matter how clumsily.

The saddest lie was the promise that he was going to unite us all and change the way business was done in Washington. In reality, he ended up bringing the "Chicago Way" to the national stage.

Which is what everyone with a brain knew he was going to do.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:06 am

"In this country, broad based prosperity has never trickled down from the success of a wealthy few," Obama said. "It has always come from the success of a strong and growing middle class."

Sowell is saying that Obama's description of "trickle-down economics" -- which is often called "supply side economics" -- is a simplification of their position.

"Trickle-down" isn't an economic theory. It is a political term used as a preemptive attack by defensive redistributionists who want to, for instance, take more from those earning over $250,000/yr. and give it - through government spending programs - to those earning less than $250,000/yr.

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:21 pm

Meade wrote:"Trickle-down" isn't an economic theory. It is a political term used as a preemptive attack by defensive redistributionists who want to, for instance, take more from those earning over $250,000/yr. and give it - through government spending programs - to those earning less than $250,000/yr.

Government spending programs like the military, the FBI, the post office, grants to police & fire departments, and disaster relief?
Wealth distribution like when the economy had tanked and was at a stagnant low in 2008, so George Bush signed the stimulus bill and sent out rebate checks to most Americans, because Bush understood that what stimulates the economy first and foremost is people buying products and services?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Meade wrote:"Trickle-down" isn't an economic theory. It is a political term used as a preemptive attack by defensive redistributionists who want to, for instance, take more from those earning over $250,000/yr. and give it - through government spending programs - to those earning less than $250,000/yr.

Nice op-ed piece. Found any of those facts to back it up?

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:17 pm

The article talks about JFK cutting taxes but doesn't state that the top tax rate in 1960 was 91% on income over $400,000 (which is equal to ~$3,000,000 in today's dollars. I agree a 91% tax rate would stiffle growth. In 1964 the top rate was dropped to 77%.

Cutting taxes back then stimulated the economy.

Reagan inherited a 70% top rate on income over $215,000 (~$530,000 in today's dollars). Rate was clipped to 38.5% in 1986.

Cutting taxes back then stimulated the economy.

At a 35% tax rate, while still a factor, cuts arn't going to stimulate the economy. We have seen what a decade of lowering tax rates has done.

In 1960 if I earned an extra $1,000,000 I pocketed $90,000.
In 1980 if I earned an extra $1,000,000 I pocketed $300,000.
In 2012 if I earned an extra $1,000,000 I pocket $650,000.

The first two would make business do a cost analysis and probably decide not to create the extra income. In scenario three the tax isn't a major detractor to creating the extra income.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:20 pm

The first two would make business do a cost analysis and probably decide not to create the extra income.

Or spend it on wages/equipment.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Trickle down has been tried before. Doesn't work. Percolate up, on the other hand, has a proven track record.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Meade wrote:"Trickle-down" isn't an economic theory. It is a political term used as a preemptive attack by defensive redistributionists

"I mean, Kemp-Roth [Reagan's 1981 tax cut] was always a Trojan horse to bring down the top rate.... It's kind of hard to sell 'trickle down.' So the supply-side formula was the only way to get a tax policy that was really 'trickle down.' Supply-side is 'trickle-down' theory." -- David Stockman, Ronald Reagan's budget director

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:29 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
The first two would make business do a cost analysis and probably decide not to create the extra income.

Or spend it on wages/equipment.

The numbers I put above are for Married Filing Joint individual tax returns. The thought is if I own the business and make an additional $1,000,000 that I take as wages in a corporation or profits in a partnership or sole proprietorship it wasn't worth the effort.

Your point on reinvesting or adding other expenses is true to. Before the mid-80s you could buy a company with a loss and offset your income. Working deals before the end of the year was a huge deal back then. New laws were passed and you can only take a percentage of the loss each year until it is used up.

Return to “National Politics & Government”