How the fortunate 400 got so rich

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How the fortunate 400 got so rich

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:46 am

For those wondering where wealth comes from and how it is created, I am reading an excellent book. It is "The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie"

I've always been an admirer and have read several other bios of him over the years. This is by far the best written.

For someone who had less than 6 months of formal education in his life. Who grew up 3rd world poor, he is one Hell of a good writer.

Not a bad road map for success even today.

I can also recommend Carnegie's bio of James Watt. Watt probably did more to create the modern world than anyone else. He was the first to be able to provide economical and portable power.

Both books are available free for the Kindle. The Watt bio is also available as a free audio book from Librivox.org I actually listened to it rather than read it. The reader is very good.

John Henry

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How the fortunate 400 got so rich

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:49 am

One other comment re Watt:

We must never forget Watt's partner, Matthew Boulton. Without Boulton to run the business and manufacturing side, Watt's engines would have been little more than a laboratory curiosity.

I think Boulton is every bit as important an historical figure as Watt. While most people know who Watt was, if only vaguely, I doubt that 1 in 100 know who Boulton was.

John Henry

Return to “National Politics & Government”