No ID needed for Obamacare?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

No ID needed for Obamacare?

Postby Peanutbutter » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:37 am

This was brought up in a different thread but it is worthy of its own topic.

If a ID isn't needed in order to get the "free" healthcare that will start being poured out then what will stop foreigners from going to the doctor here in America and then going back home?

But if a ID is required then doesn't that mean many blacks, hispanics, and senior citizens will be denied their healthcare, just like the liberals are claiming they are denied being allowed to vote?

So which is it. Are we going to be paying for the healthcare for everyone who simply visits America (or sneaks across the border) or does Obama's plan deny health care to this vast group of people who don't have an ID?

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: No ID needed for Obamacare?

Postby peripat » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:42 am

You don't know that we've been doing that for years? I don't need an ID to see my Dr now (nor to be admitted to the hospital for an emergency). There is no issue here other than your continued efforts to justify voter suppression by adding ID requirements to everything Up until this stuff started I believed conservatives did not want the government (or anyone else) to track every moment of their lives. Obviously I was wrong.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:46 am

PB, the paranoia among conservatives goes the other way. See here.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:07 am

HV's link is interesting. The blogger seems to be a libertarian type who is against government ID because he witnessed the Communists in Romania in his youth and says the first thing they did was issue everybody ID cards so they could control people's movements. He feels the ACA goes too far in the realm of government snooping, data collection, and intrusions into personal privacy including accessing bank accounts.

Being a bit of a privacy freak myself, I think this is an area where we need more information and public debate too.

Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Wino » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:18 am

We have been asked to show our photo ID at the doctor's office for a couple years now. I don't know if they would turn a patient away if they didn't have one.

"In order to comply with the Federal Trade Commission's new identity theft prevention program requirements, we are asking patients ages 18 and over to show photo identification at check-in."

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:23 am

They can ask- you don't need to show...

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:28 am

Right now, if someone shows up at an emergency room with a dire medical condition and no ID, that person will not be turned away. And the cost of their treatment will be passed on to the rest of society.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:31 am

Wino wrote:We have been asked to show our photo ID at the doctor's office for a couple years now. I don't know if they would turn a patient away if they didn't have one.

"In order to comply with the Federal Trade Commission's new identity theft prevention program requirements, we are asking patients ages 18 and over to show photo identification at check-in."

That has more to do with patient privacy, not access to treatment. The emergency room case stems from Federal laws--thanks in large part to Ronald Reagan--requiring them to treat all comers.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:27 am

Detritus wrote:The emergency room case stems from Federal laws--thanks in large part to Ronald Reagan--requiring them to treat all comers.

We've had universal health care since 1986, when President Reagan signed the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:30 am

Meade wrote:
Detritus wrote:The emergency room case stems from Federal laws--thanks in large part to Ronald Reagan--requiring them to treat all comers.

We've had universal health care since 1986, when President Reagan signed the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act.

Expense and wasteful. No preventative care. Overfull emergency rooms. Cost past on to rest of society (you and me, bub).

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:31 am

Wino wrote:We have been asked to show our photo ID at the doctor's office for a couple years now. I don't know if they would turn a patient away if they didn't have one.

I've been to a doctor or surgery center 7 times since mid-April. not once was I asked for information to identify myself.

If I didn't have a card to identify my insurance provider, however, I wasn't getting past the front desk.

Return to “National Politics & Government”