Health Care Reform

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Health Care Reform

Postby jman111 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:03 pm

and Wichita:
If anything, the ruling eliminates uncertainty about changes hospitals had implemented or were planning to implement because of the law, said Wesley Medical Center chief financial officer Matt Leary.

and LA:
"It's certainly going to reduce a lot of uncertainty," he said. "But I don't know that the healthcare bill is the only thing causing a lot of people to be not hiring right now."

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:07 pm

Kentucky's Guv gets it:
Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear says the state will now move forward with the establishment of a health insurance exchange now that the Supreme Court has ruled on the constitutionality of the federal health care overhaul.

Beshear issued this statement today:

“This Supreme Court decision removes much of the uncertainty about the Affordable Care Act.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:11 pm

even this guy sees it:
"Now that the uncertainty around [healthcare reform] has been settled, it is critical that we continue the momentum to transform healthcare, including the use of information technology," says Dave Roberts, vice president of government relations at Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:50 pm

After the uncertainty over health care reform has been resolved, the DOW is up 270 plus.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:31 pm

And the Milw Journal-Sentinel has a remarkably positive editorial:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/su ... 57825.html

I wasn't expecting this from them, but here it is:
Republicans will continue to fight what they disparagingly call Obamacare.... Better if they accept reality and start working on the cost aspect of health care.

Their mantra has been "repeal and replace," although they've been unclear on the replacement part. If they have better ideas, let's hear them. And everyone should remember that the individual mandate part of the law began life as a Republican concept and was a central part of the Republicans' answer in 1993 to President Bill Clinton's attempt to pass health care reform, not to mention part of the universal health care bill that Romney signed into law as governor of Massachusetts.

In Wisconsin, Gov. Scott Walker's administration needs to start setting up the health exchange that the law requires.

What took them so long? Intimidated by talk radio until the Supreme Court itself stepped in?

Still, I'll take it.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:27 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/us/po ... e-law.html

The current Republican proposals as espoused by the Romney campaign have moved to the right of where they were just two years ago. They make no pretense of expanding coverage, beyond an implausible hope that prices will come down so far that more will be able to afford it.

They give tax breaks to people who can already afford health care. This is not counted as an expense, as if the lost revenue is meaningless.

The Republican positions of two years ago, I'm thinking of the proposal from John Boehner, would have decreased the ranks of the uninsured by a modest 3 million. Now, the 2012 vision will increase the uninsured by constraining medicaid. Those with pre-existing conditions will be abandoned, left to high-risk pools that everyone knows are a fake solution.

Uhh, the Republicans are today the party of unabashed cruelty and indifference.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:After the uncertainty over health care reform has been resolved, the DOW is up 270 plus.

I'm pretty sure most of the market's gains were related to the good economic news from Europe, but if you wanted to see movement in response to the ACA ruling, I'd look at Walgreen's, Wal-Mart, McDonald's and health insurance stocks. Walgreen's will likely get a boost from more health insurance coverage, huge employers who typically pay low wages with poor benefits like Wal-Mart and McDonald's will likely take a hit and health insurance companies will almost surely take a hit due to shrinking dividends. It's hard to say how much of the ACA has already been factored into their stock prices, though.

On a side note, I wonder whether the ACA ruling may be a blessing for companies like Wal-Mart, who will obviously see an increase in their insurance costs but may be in a better position to weather that storm than struggling competitors like Shopko. Domino's and Pizza Hut probably feel the pinch from competitors like Little Caesar's, but can you afford added health care costs if you're selling your pizzas for $5 each? Strange as it may seem, the ACA may have an immediate impact on things like dollar menus. If you're in a highly competitive industry with razor thin margins, you can't really absorb the costs... you have to pass them on.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:09 pm

pjbogart wrote: On a side note, I wonder whether the ACA ruling may be a blessing for companies like Wal-Mart, who will obviously see an increase in their insurance costs but may be in a better position to weather that storm than struggling competitors like Shopko.

I'm having trouble following. I'm guessing you think ACA is going to impose burdens on companies, force them to provide health care or pay a penalty?

Walmart currently provides health care for a lot of its employees. A lot of the part-timers are on Badger Care.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:This didn't take long:
Walker: state won't implement health care law despite ruling

Given that Attorney General Van Hollen said that Walker must implement the health care reform law and Article IV,Section 28 of the Wisconsin Constitution states:
Members of the legislature, and all officers, executive and judicial, except such inferior officers as may be by law exempted, shall before they enter upon the duties of their respective offices, take and subscribe an oath or affirmation to support the constitution of the United States and the constitution of the state of Wisconsin, and faithfully to discharge the duties of their respective offices to the best of their ability.

Is Walker violating his oath of office? He swore to uphold the U.S. Constitution, which includes the Supremacy Clause. Not enforcing health care reform violates that clause.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:24 pm

The U.S. Supreme Court found the law constitutional on Thursday, but Walker, a Republican, has vowed not to implement it until after the November elections.

I doubt he will miss any deadlines by waiting...and may save some effort. If Romney gets elected all States will be offered a waiver.

So...he didn't say he won't implement it. He is still hoping he won't have to.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:39 pm

It's the law of the land. He is hoping for election results at the federal level that might lead to the law being rescinded. It's Walker's job to carry out laws, not to delay implementation until January (when the president is sworn into office). Even if Romney becomes president, there is no guarantee that both Houses of Congress will go along with rescinding the law.

A.G. Van Hollen, a fellow Republican, said that Walker must carry through with his obligation to fulfill the federal mandate.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Absolutely, he must follow the law of the land, and meet all deadlines set by such law.

How he goes about doing that is up to him.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:55 pm

By procrastinating, I doubt if Walker will meet deadlines for implementation. When we he concede? After the November elections? After the new Congress and the president take their oaths of office? After Congress addresses the issue (if they even do so)?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:07 pm

I doubt anyone will meet the deadlines. Something this big will be delayed again and again as people realize what a massive undertaking it is. ICD10 for people in the know.

I think November will be the deciding point. Regardless, Walker violating his oath of office is a non-starter at this point.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:22 pm

I reiterate: Wis. AG says Walker must comply with health care law

Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen said Gov. Scott Walker must follow the federal Affordable Care Act.

...Van Hollen said Thursday that Walker is obligated to follow the law according to its deadlines.

Return to “National Politics & Government”