Bullying as a national sport

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Bullying as a national sport

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:47 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/23/opini ... ef=general

Charles Blow nails it.

Best op-ed piece I've read in weeks.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bullying as a national sport

Postby Galoot » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:04 pm

Cue Ned or Cornbread or Rich Schultz or one of the other right-wingers, saying that it is either all the fault of Saul Alinsky leftwing radicals, or making fun of the name "Charles Blow".

It's a step up from Yahoo news comments, where a significant percentage of the comments would be along the lines of "why should I care what that n-word has to say about America?"

I agree, Sno, it was a good read. And on the positive side, in a Yahoo discussion, someone who had made a smartass comment directed at me later apologized, when I didn't react, but just made a clear and polite statement of my views.

Illegitemi non carborundum.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Thank you Sno, as I am pretty sure I would have missed that piece. The authors very important observations are unsettling and now woven into my outlook of hope.

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Charles Blow is my favorite NYT columnist.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Good article. A number of years ago I watched an Oprah in which the adult victim faces her childhood bully. Interesting how the bully tried to discount what was done. I feel just a little sorry for my former bullies.

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:32 am

Whether it is liberal protesters disrupting a ceremony for Special Olympiads or the big union's vicious attack on a 12 year old girl speaking at the Capitol or a beer being poured on the head of an elected official, bullying has become boilerplate. Hiss and taunt. Tease and intimidate. Target your enemies and torture them mercilessly. Maintain primacy through predation.

I agree. Great article.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:57 am

It is all the fault of Saul Alinksy left wing radicals.

And Charles can blow me. bwa ha ha.

But seriously Galoot, do you really think liberals are not bullies? This forum is proof they are. Turn it upside down and you have the Althouse commenters. We're all freaking human, there's no immunity from the foibles.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:12 am

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:54 am

Well the Internet has emboldened many a miscreant to perform actions they wouldn't ever have the cajones to try in person. Online bullies, ID thieves, Internet scammers, and forum big mouths all welcome you to the "Information Age." When I was in school anyone who would have attempted to bully a teacher would have had their ass handed back to them in a second by said teacher. Some students bullied other students and some teachers bullied students, but a student bullying a teacher was as rare as the Cubs winning the World Series.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:24 am

Dangerousman wrote:When I was in school anyone who would have attempted to bully a teacher would have had their ass handed back to them in a second by said teacher. Some students bullied other students and some teachers bullied students, but a student bullying a teacher was as rare as the Cubs winning the World Series.

Selective memory helps maintain that belief, I have no doubt. During my time in high school here in Madison in the 1970s there was, in my school alone, an attempted rape, a bombing, and yes, a teacher beaten up by a student. Other incidents happened in the other high schools as well. I will also observe that I went to the same middle school as the late Steven (Focky) Weber, who successfully bullied anyone he pleased.

The belief that strong authority has been recently lost and needs to be re-established can be seen in western literature as early as the 8th century BC (Hesiod is sometimes fingered as the earliest complainer on record). There are probably older versions of the same complaint hidden away in hieroglyphics or cuneiform texts....

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Detritus wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:When I was in school anyone who would have attempted to bully a teacher would have had their ass handed back to them in a second by said teacher. Some students bullied other students and some teachers bullied students, but a student bullying a teacher was as rare as the Cubs winning the World Series.

Selective memory helps maintain that belief, I have no doubt.

A darn good memory helps maintain that belief actually, and I am quite certain that none of the things you mentioned occurred in my school during that time.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
Detritus wrote:

Selective memory helps maintain that belief, I have no doubt.

A darn good memory helps maintain that belief actually, and I am quite certain that none of the things you mentioned occurred in my school during that time.

Congratulations! Perhaps you will acknowledge, then, that your experiences--and, thus, your insights--are not universal. And, therefore, grounding your belief in stern authority in recent loss of same, might be unwarranted.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Detritus wrote:Congratulations! Perhaps you will acknowledge, then, that your experiences--and, thus, your insights--are not universal. And, therefore, grounding your belief in stern authority in recent loss of same, might be unwarranted.

I grounded my belief in stern authority? When?

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:17 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
Detritus wrote:Congratulations! Perhaps you will acknowledge, then, that your experiences--and, thus, your insights--are not universal. And, therefore, grounding your belief in stern authority in recent loss of same, might be unwarranted.

I grounded my belief in stern authority? When?

Not all that long ago, actually:
Well the Internet has emboldened many a miscreant to perform actions they wouldn't ever have the cajones to try in person. Online bullies, ID thieves, Internet scammers, and forum big mouths all welcome you to the "Information Age." When I was in school anyone who would have attempted to bully a teacher would have had their ass handed back to them in a second by said teacher.

Incidentally, "cojones" doesn't have an 'a' in it.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:24 pm

When I was in school anyone who would have attempted to bully a teacher would have had their ass handed back to them in a second by said teacher. Some students bullied other students and some teachers bullied students, but a student bullying a teacher was as rare as the Cubs winning the World Series.

I remember the following in my high school (rural WI, early 60s):

1) Students in a language class slowly pushing their desks forward all through the hour until the elderly teacher was pinned against the blackboard, then laughing at her or simply talking loudly through the rest of the class and resisting any instructions to back off and settle down.

2) Students hiding disagreeable stuff in a young female teacher's desk drawer and laughing themselves silly when she opened it and was shocked and revolted (think bodily fluids/products).

3) Food fights, throwing and deliberately dropping food in the cafeteria and lunchroom, and mocking/ignoring the kitchen staff and lunch monitors when they objected or tried to make kids clean up after themselves.

4) Making up rude or embarrassing nicknames for teachers (especially subs) and making sure they overheard them. Refusing to cooperate at all with substitute teachers, creating an entire hour of classroom chaos. The teacher was not allowed to leave during an instructional hour, there were no phones or intercoms to communicate with the office, and so they were pretty much stuck there for an hour of ridicule.

Small potatoes stuff, all that. Today's kids have bigger ideas because they see more bad examples to follow and tend to think bigger. But it's inaccurate to say teachers have not been bullied, historically.

The word bullying wasn't applied in those days but once you can identify them (by whatever name), you'll come up with more incidents than you expect.

I will also observe that I went to the same middle school as the late Steven (Focky) Weber, who successfully bullied anyone he pleased.

Every school had one or two of those. Ours wound up in federal prison. One of the smartest people I can remember, oddly enough.
Last edited by snoqueen on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “National Politics & Government”