Mississippi Goddamn: this time it's abortion

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mississippi Goddamn: this time it's abortion

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Meade wrote:Henry Vilas of Wisconsin loves to tell Mississippians what they should and shouldn't be able to do with their defenseless live human zygotes.

Roe v Wade applies to the entire United States. Or do you think women's reproductive health decisions should be decided contrary to their rights?

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Specifically, Henry Vilas, which parts of Roe v Wade is Mississippi violating?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:15 pm

As it is a federal issue, the federal court in Mississippi just ruled to continue its injunction that prevents enforcement of the state's anti-abortion law.

U.S. District Judge Daniel P. Jordan III temporarily blocked the law July 1 and extended that order Wednesday, though he did not immediately say how long it would last.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that states can't place undue burdens or substantial obstacles to women seeking abortion.
The U.S. Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision in 1973 established a nationwide right to abortion. In 1992, the court's decision in Planned Parenthood v. Casey upheld the Roe decision and allowed states to regulate abortions before fetuses are viable. But the 1992 decision also said states may not place undue burdens or substantial obstacles to women seeking abortion.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:30 pm

states may not place undue burdens or substantial obstacles to women seeking abortion

Henry, why did the court modify "burdens" with "undue".

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:34 pm

Meade, why do you quibble?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:36 pm

If only Larry had someone trained in law to ask, perhaps he wouldn't bother forons with such questions.
Well, unless it's not an answer he seeks, but rather an opportunity to annoy.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 pm

Sorry, jman111 - did I unduly annoy you by asking burdensome questions having to do with the convenience/inconvenience of terminating pregnancies which is another way of saying aborting human fetuses which is another way of saying using mechanical, chemical, and/or vacuum suction devices to help human female mothers kill their tiny dependent live defenseless human entities, sometimes know as "babies" but also known by many who consider the procedure to be just another form of birth control as "biomedical waste".

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:34 pm

Nope, not me.

It seems you did intend to do so, though. A quick look at your posts does appear to support that supposition. I often wonder what drives such actions. Maybe you just need a hug or something. Maybe it's that fear of being identified as a beta male. Or maybe you're just frustrated because nobody will have a beer with you. huh

And a bit of advice: I suggest you save your "sorry" 'til you you really mean it. People can see right through feined regret. Ya know, cryin' wolf and all that.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:51 pm

Meade wrote: and/or vacuum suction devices to help human female mothers kill their tiny dependent live defenseless human entities, sometimes know as "babies"

Having trouble finding the zygotes in this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:04 pm

jman111 wrote:Nope, not me.

It seems you did intend to do so, though. A quick look at your posts does appear to support that supposition. I often wonder what drives such actions. Maybe you just need a hug or something. Maybe it's that fear of being identified as a beta male. Or maybe you're just frustrated because nobody will have a beer with you. huh

Parasites. I bet it's parasites.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:10 pm

I think it's genetically modified organisms.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:18 pm

Meade wrote:
states may not place undue burdens or substantial obstacles to women seeking abortion

Henry, why did the court modify "burdens" with "undue".

The courts, in Their infinite wisdom, have decided that its reasonable to put burdens on the dirty, shameless sluts that get knocked up. But not undue burdens. That would be going too far. After all, we are Christian nation.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Keep going, DCB. I think you may be on to something. Not the parts about "sluts" or the sarcasm about "Christian nation" (which perhaps reveal a little too much about your deepest feelings and prejudices). But the other part. The part about the Court's wisdom.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Meade wrote:Keep going, DCB. I think you may be on to something. Not the parts about "sluts" or the sarcasm about "Christian nation" (which perhaps reveal a little too much about your deepest feelings and prejudices). But the other part. The part about the Court's wisdom.

OK, I'll keep going without the sarcasm. But I'm not going to ignore the fundamentalists who hell-bent on instituting a theocracy.

The fact is the same right-wing nut-jobs who were freaked out by the "government takeover of healthcare" have been gung-ho on total government takeover of one very specific medical procedure.

They may talk about 'jobs, jobs, jobs' but all they really seem to work on is 'abortion, abortion, abortion' A record number of restrictions that server no useful purpose:
"What we see are parents in anguish over some type of medical condition -- and these very cruel laws double or triple that anguish."

Invasive procedures required solely to demean women.

The Catholics decide to pick a fight over contraception, on the grounds that 'religious freedom' means your boss controls your life.

Why the courts put up with this shit is beyond me. Just to clue you in, when I referred to "the Court's wisdom", that too was sarcastic. They should be squashing these invasions of privacy with extreme prejudice.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Mississippi abortion clinic to stay open

Doctors at Mississippi's sole abortion clinic are allowed to continue performing the procedure, even if they do not have admitting and staff privileges at an area hospital, as required by state law, a federal judge ruled Friday.

But state officials can begin an administrative process that could ultimately lead to the closing of the clinic, said U.S. District Judge Daniel P. Jordan III.
A lawsuit filed by the clinic to declare the law unconstitutional will proceed.

...Beth Burkstrand-Reid, an assistant professor of law at the University of Nebraska and a reproductive health law expert said those who favor keeping the clinic open are likely to face more challenges. "The purpose of the Mississippi law is to close that clinic," she told CNN. "If this law does not work, we will undoubtedly see another creative and likely unconstitutional attempt to close the clinic."

Mississippi has the nation's highest teen birth rate, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2010, the U.S. birth rate was 34.3 per 1,000 teens; it was 55.0 per 1,000 for Mississippi.

Return to “National Politics & Government”