Does anyone really believe Romney will win?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Does anyone really believe Romney will win?

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Bludgeon wrote:What is his party for? Why not put it down in black and white?

Are you talking about Romney? He is against any major policy decision made by Obama, yet refuses to say what he would do instead. He couldn't be any more vague about what he would do if elected.

When your opponent is punching himself out (Obama), why get in the way? Stuart Rothenberg, big time non partisan political handicapper, rates the president as the underdog as of June 19. The GOP platform is the same as the one the majority voted for in 2010. Why deal in hypotheticals? Obama wants specifics like a flailing politician wants a lifeline, I wouldn't give him any either.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:34 am

I'm not talking hypotheticals. Take immigration policy. After Obama said that certain immigrants could stay, all Romney said is he would have a different approach. But when pressed, all he could say is I'll tell you later... much later.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:44 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I'm not talking hypotheticals. Take immigration policy. After Obama said that certain immigrants could stay, all Romney said is he would have a different approach. But when pressed, all he could say is I'll tell you later... much later.

The unmentionables are the most striking aspect of that argument. Really its unspeakable that the president would treat something that is so important to illegals so glibly in what amounts to nothing but a campaign ploy.

Executive orders only last as long as the president who makes them. I think its sort of insulting to Hispanic immigrants, and it trivializes their plight. Its just... desperate, and it looks cheap at best. Congress is the place for this, and if Obama blew his mandate on other things, I don't think he should debase the Hispanic vote with this kind of pillow talk.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I'm not talking hypotheticals. Take immigration policy. After Obama said that certain immigrants could stay, all Romney said is he would have a different approach. But when pressed, all he could say is I'll tell you later... much later.

Mr. Henry is so full of mierda.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... mmigration

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:all Romney said is he would have a different approach. But when pressed, all he could say is I'll tell you later... much later.

I still have sour memories of how Nixon road a similar approach to victory in 1968: he said early in the campaign that he had a secret plan to end the Vietnam War, but he couldn't reveal it during the campaign because then it might not work. Several years and loads of additional casualties later it turned out that the secret plan was to unilaterally withdraw American forces-- which could have been done at any time. BTW Nixon's media guru was Roger Ailes of Fox News fame.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Executive orders only last as long as the president who makes them.

Which is why in 2009 Democrats in the House passed the DREAM Act. As did the Senate if Republicans had allowed a vote.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Meade wrote:

Mr. Henry is so full of mierda.

Your response is as vague as Romney's.

While the presumed Republican nominee for president has not crafted an official counter to Mr. Obama’s plan – other than to indicate he did not think it was an appropriate long-term immigration policy — Republicans are waiting for his lead.

They are waiting... and waiting... and waiting.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:56 pm

scratch wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:all Romney said is he would have a different approach. But when pressed, all he could say is I'll tell you later... much later.

I still have sour memories of how Nixon road a similar approach to victory in 1968: he said early in the campaign that he had a secret plan to end the Vietnam War, but he couldn't reveal it during the campaign because then it might not work. Several years and loads of additional casualties later it turned out that the secret plan was to unilaterally withdraw American forces-- which could have been done at any time. BTW Nixon's media guru was Roger Ailes of Fox News fame.

More bullshit. Nixon never used the phrase "secret plan". For every lie Nixon told, his critics and haters have told a thousand lies about Nixon.

Obviously, Romney-haters now want to create the lie: Romney=Nixon.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:58 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
While the presumed Republican nominee for president has not crafted an official counter to Mr. Obama’s plan – other than to indicate he did not think it was an appropriate long-term immigration policy — Republicans are waiting for his lead.

They are waiting... and waiting... and waiting.

Yeah, lets decide our long term immigration policy four months before the election?

If you think about it, the entire idea stands on its head. Nothing permanent is coming out of either party's immigration proposals for the next 4+ months. Whatever Obama promises, he wouldn't be able to deliver if he actually did get reelected. For Romney, Republicans are actually going to be able to get their agenda on the books on inauguration day; getting the economy humming is what the voters want, that's what they plan to do.

Jobs, the economy, inflation, debt, deficits are the top issues on voters minds. Only a desperate candidate would be pushing social politics at a time like this. The president has nothing to talk about but distractions, distractions that are outside the concerns of the 50 + 1 electorate. Romney would be an idiot to strenuously engage the president on these kind of diversions. But worse than that the president is showing he's willing to trivialize Hispanics' immigration concerns to try to save his own bacon.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Yeah, lets decide our long term immigration policy four months before the election?

Which is why in 2009 Democrats in the House passed the DREAM Act. As did the Senate if Republicans had allowed a vote.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Meade wrote:Obviously, Romney-haters now want to create the lie: Romney=Nixon.

I don't actually think there are many people who are "Romney Haters" out there Meade - that's why comparing him to John Kerry makes so much more sense.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:39 pm

And how does Romney compare to John Kerry? Besides favorably, I mean.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:50 pm

Meade wrote:And how does Romney compare to John Kerry? Besides favorably, I mean.

Both dull and unexciting. Both Pretty damn rich. Both flip floppers. Both have somewhat unenthusiastic support from their base during a first term election. Democrats hated Bush like Republicans hate Obama.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:54 pm

Say what you will about Romney, but he has the dressage voters all sewn up.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:59 pm

Meade wrote:And how does Romney compare to John Kerry? Besides favorably, I mean.

Yup, Stebben pretty much nailed it: both of them are weak as candidates along the same lines.

Is this some kind of shocker for you Meade? Perhaps you're too busy making cute web videos to notice?

Return to “National Politics & Government”