Does anyone really believe Romney will win?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Does anyone really believe Romney will win?

Postby DCB » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Mendacious Mitt: Romney's bid to become liar-in-chief
Quite simply, the United States has never been witness to a presidential candidate, in modern American history, who lies as frequently, as flagrantly and as brazenly as Mitt Romney.
What is the proper response when, even after it's pointed out that the candidate is not telling the truth, he keeps doing it? Romney actually has a telling rejoinder for this. When a reporter challenged his oft-stated assertion that President Obama had made the economy worse (factually, not correct), he denied ever saying it in the first place. It's a lie on top of a lie.

Now, it's certainly true that on the campaign trail, facts can be stretched in many different directions – and both parties, including President Obama, frequently make arguments that are misleading, lacking in context or simply false. But it is virtually unheard of for a politician to lie with such reckless abandon and appear completely unconcerned about getting caught.

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:09 am

Doesn't Romney have to get the nomination first?

Everyone, including me, is expecting that he will.

That doesn't make it a done deal. A lot of the delegates that are being counted as part of the 1045 (or whatever the number is to put him over the top) are not legally bound to Romney.

The Gingrich and Santorum delegates may have been asked to support Romney and may well feel a moral obligation to do so. They have no legal obligation.

A number of others that Romney won are supposed to vote for Romney but are not legally required to. Still others cannot vote for anyone other than Romney but are not required to vote for him.

And if Romney does not make it on the first ballot, no delegate is bound to anyone, legally or morally.

Paul still has several hundred delegates and he is saying that he will not cause any trouble. I believe him. On the other hand, he has not released any of them yet.

His supporters are pissed off and KRAAAZZZZYYYY!!! and may ignore any instructions from him (I hope)

The Repos seem scared spitless of the Paulians, if not of the Pauls.

Palin said that she will support Romney "If [when?] he is nominated" but apparently not before. Might she be a dark horse draft pick?

We are expecting an Obama/Romney faceoff in November and I will be a bit surprised if we do not get it. Only a bit surprised, though. Many a slip twixt cup and lip and all that. I can see scenarios where neither of them is on the ticket.

I think this is shaping up to be one of the most interesting elections since I first noticed them in 1960.

John Henry

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:31 am

Doesn't Romney have enough delegates and super delegates to win the GOP nomination on a first vote? If not, a floor flight might be fun. So John, do you believe the nominee will be decided in a back room deal? If so, Obama's odds will greatly improve for November.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:We are expecting an Obama/Romney faceoff in November and I will be a bit surprised if we do not get it. Only a bit surprised, though. Many a slip twixt cup and lip and all that. I can see scenarios where neither of them is on the ticket.

johnfajardohenry wrote:I think this is shaping up to be one of the most interesting elections since I first noticed them in 1960.

If you hadn't specified a date, I literally would still be sitting here wondering if you learned to read on the internet.

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:35 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Doesn't Romney have enough delegates and super delegates to win the GOP nomination on a first vote?

That is the big question. The apparent answer is yes. The true answer may be no for the reasons I mentioned.

That is, not all the delegates that are committed to Romney are legally bound to him. Will they all vote for him? Probably yes, perhaps no.

Henry Vilas wrote:So John, do you believe the nominee will be decided in a back room deal? If so, Obama's odds will greatly improve for November.

I thought I had explained that I don't know how the nominee will be decided. A back room deal? Perhaps, though I expect not. If Romney doesn't get the nomination I expect that it will be the result of a more open process than the proverbial "back room deal"

One of the problems I see the Repos having is that too many are in revolt in the party. I am thinking of Tea Party, Paul, Palin and other non-aligned groups. They may or may not form a single bloc as they disagree on a lot of things. OTOH, they may form enough of a bloc to prevent the DC Party insiders from actually doing a "back room deal".

I don't see why a non-Romney candidacy room deal would automatically improve Obama's chances. That would depend on who the nominee was, would it not?

John Henry

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:37 am

Bludgeon wrote:If you hadn't specified a date, I literally would still be sitting here wondering if you learned to read on the internet.

Wow, bludgeon. That was pretty mature.

John Henry

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:00 am

Too many people vote based on sound bites rather than actually checking the candidates past record. Lots of sound bites out there from Obama "birthers" who just want anyone, rather than Obama. That's most likely because the GOP base just can't get enough steam to get excited about Romney. I didn't see a single viable Republican candidate in the running and that was most likely because they have to live up to the Tea Party expectations. What the GOP needs is another Theodore Roosevelt. Someone with a good mind and not an obvious sell-out to the highest corporate bidder.

But yes, Romney can win. Lots of corporate money going into fancy high-tech commercials supporting him and blasting the opposition. Unfortunately, many people who vote base their opinions on what they hear on tv and radio. So, yes, Romney can win.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:03 pm

Yup, those evil Republicans are going to take all that evil corporate money and brainwash the electorate into thinking that we have ridiculously high unemployment....oh wait....

"“If I don’t have this done in three years, then there’s going to be a one-term proposition.” – President Barack Obama on NBC’s “Today,” February 2, 2009:

Return to “National Politics & Government”