Birther Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "No Person except a natural born Citizen,"

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Fantastic piece. Steyn connects all the dots:

"It used to be a lot simpler. As E.C. Bentley deftly summarized it in 1905:
"Geography is about maps
But Biography is about chaps."
But that was then, and now Biography is also about maps. For example, have you ever thought it would be way cooler to have been born in colonial Kenya?
Whoa, that sounds like crazy Birther talk; don't go there! But Breitbart News did, and it turns out that the earliest recorded example of Birtherism is from the president's own literary agent, way back in 1991, in the official bio of her exciting new author:

"Barack Obama, the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review, was born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii."

So the lunatic theory that Barack Obama doesn't meet the minimum eligibility requirements to be president of the United States was first advanced by Barack Obama's official representative. Where did she get that wacky idea from? "This was nothing more than a fact-checking error by me," says Obama's literary agent, Miriam Goderich, a "fact" that went so un-"checked" that it stayed up on her agency's website in the official biography of her by-then-famous client up until 2007:

http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/obama ... white.html

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri May 18, 2012 3:44 pm

Larry Kaufmann wrote:The Larrys here are asserting that Obama may have indicated that his father was born outside of the US. That's possible, but rather unlikely that a college application would ask about your parents' origins (unless it was for financial aid ... I don't know what an app for that looked like in the 60s).

However, they both stated this as if these college applications had a CHECK BOX next to a question like "IS YOUR FATHER FROM KENYA?" Which is highly unlikely, unless Harvard and U of Hawaii were specifically looking for people of Kenyan origin or had three pages of checkboxes asking which of the 100+ of the world's countries the applicant's parents were from.

So yes, to think that there was such a specific checkbox yes-or-no question is crazy. To think that there was a general, fill-in the blank question is not so crazy.

I never meant that this was a yes/no box to check, and don't think I implied that either, but isn't it standard practice for college applications to ask both your date of birth and place of birth? Did Obama fudge the truth on the latter question? Who knows, why not release his entire college file and, as I say, put this issue to bed.

Larry, click on the "QUOTE" button at the top of the post to open a reply page with the quoted post nicely formatted.

So in my rush to reinterpret both your and Meade's post, I read them incorrectly. You were talking about Obama responding about his own birth on a college app, Meade was talking about Obama's father filling out his college app. (So, in neither case were either of you talking about Obama providing information about his father's birthplace.)

Anyway, I think most apps ask for your citizenship status, but I don't know if they specifically ask where you were born, as that's pretty irrelevant to college admissions. But if someone can produce 60s-era college applications from Harvard and the U of Hawaii then we can "put this issue to bed" or at least tuck it in for a long nap.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 18, 2012 3:46 pm

How do the birthers explain this?
In November 2008, The Advertiser reported that the first published mention of the future president appeared in a Sunday Advertiser birth announcement that ran on Aug. 13, 1961:

"Mr. and Mrs. Barack H. Obama, 6085 Kalanianaole Hwy., son, Aug. 4."

The identical announcement ran the following day in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 18, 2012 4:00 pm

Who is feeding Meade and Ned all this bullshit? This email I got today from the DSCC might shed some light on their latests posts:

Yesterday, The New York Times exposed a massive Republican campaign full of race-baiting, fear-mongering, and outright lying against President Obama.

It’s disgusting, vile and a few other choice words. It's time to fight back, hard.

Coded racism is out of bounds. Stand with us to show they can’t get away with it.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Who is feeding Meade and Ned all this bullshit? This email I got today from the DSCC:

Yesterday, The New York Times exposed a massive Republican campaign full of race-baiting, fear-mongering, and outright lying against President Obama.

It’s disgusting, vile and a few other choice words. It's time to fight back, hard.

Coded racism is out of bounds. Stand with us to show they can’t get away with it.

What's the "DSCC"? Sounds important!

Can you smell the fear?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 18, 2012 4:08 pm

No Ned, what you smell is your own hatred towards anyone who isn't a Republican (RINOs excepted). So who is feeding you your attack points?

Is the New York Times incorrect?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 18, 2012 4:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:So who is feeding you your attack points?

Hopefully the Koch Brothers. Bbbbbwwwwwaaaaaahahahahaha!
Henry Vilas wrote:Is the New York Times incorrect?

Why not post the press release, um, I mean "story" so we can examine it?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 18, 2012 4:22 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:

I posted it yesterday, well before the press release. But here it is again.

So are you going to answer me about where you got your talking points? I don't figure you to be bright enough to come up with them on your own.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:

I posted it yesterday, well before the press release. But here it is again.

So are you going to answer me about where you got your talking points? I don't figure you to be bright enough to come up with them on your own.

This is the Revrund Wright thing? The issue that Obama's media partners refused to cover in 2008? I urge you to go back and look at my posts from the time. It was no secret except to CBS/NBC/ABC/WAPO/NYT/MSNBC.

Talking points? What? You mean how Wright was Obama's "mentor", how he married the Obamas and baptized their daughers? How they sat in the pews for years and listened to Wright spew racism, anti-semitism and post 9/11 "god-damn America" rhetoric? Those talking points?

Why, they came from Obama himself Hanky. Surprise!

And, it looks like his chickens, are coming home to roost!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Not just a rehashing of Wright, but also the recent outbreak of birtherism. Maybe these coded attacks that are occurring at the same time (this board being a microcosm of a nationwide campaign) is just a mere coincidence. Maybe not.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:

Hopefully the Koch Brothers.

Yup. Probably through one of their conduits. Americans for Properity or the Tea Party Express. The billionaire versions of grassroots politics.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 18, 2012 7:54 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:

Hopefully the Koch Brothers.

Yup. Probably through one of their conduits. Americans for Properity or the Tea Party Express. The billionaire versions of grassroots politics.

Nope. We were all given implants last month - it's much more efficient. Gotta go, Koch bro #1 wants a latte.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat May 19, 2012 10:33 am

Rush Limbaugh called. Meade's colostomy bag needs changing.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 19, 2012 10:37 am

Henry Vilas wrote:How do the birthers explain this?
In November 2008, The Advertiser reported that the first published mention of the future president appeared in a Sunday Advertiser birth announcement that ran on Aug. 13, 1961:

"Mr. and Mrs. Barack H. Obama, 6085 Kalanianaole Hwy., son, Aug. 4."

The identical announcement ran the following day in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Bump

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat May 19, 2012 10:40 am

Why the bump Hen? there aren't any birthers here to answer.

now back to the topic - what do you think of Obama reinventing himself?

Return to “National Politics & Government”