Cool

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cool

Postby pjbogart » Thu May 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Cornbread wrote:I guess kerry has been all about mooching off of rich women while Romney has been all about earning his. That may indeed sound creepy to some, for some reason.

Shit, and I thought Romney was running against Obama! So Kerry's a mooch, kind of like Meade. How about Obama? Did he receive a huge inheritance? How much compared to Romney?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu May 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Letterman is showing no mercy with Mitt. I was trying to find the one comparing how Obama and Romney each got into Harvard, but found this one instead.

http://youtu.be/DHwkiYuvKaM

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 25, 2012 8:44 am

Cornbread wrote:
rabble wrote:I read that part and it struck me that Romney's sort of a creepy Republican version of John Kerry.

The weird thing is that Mitt Romney earned all of his money, while kerry got his, each time, from the woman he was with.

Romney was born into a very, very rich family. He is hardly a self-made man. Kinda like Eric Hovde, who is running as a Republican for Herb Kohl's seat. Our other senator, Ron Johnson (R-WI) married into his millions. But they are GOPers, so that doesn't bother you.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 25, 2012 9:49 am

Cornbread, any Wisconsinite ought to remember George Romney, Mitt's father, who ran American Motors. American Motors pretty much was Kenosha during the mid 20th century.

Here's Wikipedia, to keep it simple:

[George] Romney was born to American parents living in the Mormon colonies in Mexico; events during the Mexican Revolution forced his family to flee back to the United States when he was a child. The family lived in several states and ended up in Salt Lake City, Utah, where they struggled during the Great Depression. Romney worked in a number of jobs, served as a Mormon missionary in England and Scotland, and attended several colleges in the U.S. but did not graduate from any. In 1939 he moved to Detroit ... He joined Nash-Kelvinator in 1948, and became the chief executive of its successor, American Motors Corporation, in 1954. There he turned around the struggling firm by focusing all efforts on the compact Rambler car. Romney mocked the products of the "Big Three" automakers as "gas-guzzling dinosaurs" and became one of the first high-profile, media-savvy business executives.

It's not Mitt Romney who's a self-made man, it was his father George. George Romney served in Nixon's cabinet as secretary of HUD and by today's standards was a flaming liberal because, as governor of Michigan, he established the state's first income tax and greatly expanded the state government, and because of his support for civil rights.

Mitt was born with that proverbial silver spoon in his mouth, and multiplied his inherited wealth in enterprises like Bain Capital. You and I and other commoners didn't start with such an advantage, and to pretend Mitt is some regular guy who didn't have it is inaccurate.

Doesn't disqualify him from anything, but let's be real.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri May 25, 2012 11:11 am

Grandpa Simpson wrote:I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri May 25, 2012 2:07 pm

I gave up being cool in 1973 in order achieve hip instead.

Return to “National Politics & Government”