Dave on Ron Paul

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Dave on Ron Paul

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Mr. Dave does his thing on Ron Paul this week. The Ron Paul analysis is on-par for Mr. Dave's thoughts on national politics - devoid of critical thinking, bland and uninteresting.

Dave links to a website to give some evidence to support his claims about Ron Paul. The website is called The Democratic Hub and appears to be a general interest forum for Democratic-leaning folks. Dave's intent was to showcase the wealth of examples of Ron Paul's nuttiness - in fact, he calls his link
a catalogue of the goofy things this guy thinks and says...
Problem is, this forum is pretty sparse - only 8 topics and less than 35 posts total. Several of the topics are started by people who support Ron Paul. Other sections of the website list "Ron Paul Controversies" (a single entry), "Ron Paul Opinion and Articles" (three articles), and "Latest Notable Statements by Ron Paul" (a single statement dated from 2007!).

Dave - you are a published columnist and you should take your job more seriously. If you want to make it seem like you've done a serious evaluation of the Ron Paul candidacy, then you should provide some better evidence to support your case. Did you look at any other site for your information on Ron Paul? If so, why did you choose to provide a relatively poor (and partisan) source of information for your readers? There are more in-depth Ron Paul conversations on this forum than on the page you've linked! In other spots on the web, there are thousands of posts and articles on Ron Paul, including both criticisms and support, that are readily available to anyone with elementary search engine savvy.

TL;DR - Mr. Dave continues to suck at National Politics.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dave on Ron Paul

Postby rrnate » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Well, to be fair, he's a "blogger", not a columnist.

Also, to be fair, Ron Paul is a fucking whack job. I am not going to cite anything here, as I am no pro, but let's just agree on that point.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Ron Paul is crazy because he thinks a $15 trillion national debt and using inflation to try to manage it are bad things. What a maroon!

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Is it too early for me to claim Yosemite N.P. as my own private property?

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:08 pm

Ron Paul has a good plan for fixing our economy but he goes off into la-la land when he starts talking about dismantling the army and letting everyone get high.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:10 am

when he starts talking about dismantling the army and letting everyone get high.

That's the part I like. His economic policies are fantasy land to me. I think even if you agree with them you have to admit they are radical. Among the leading Republicans though I'd consider him among the most honest. That's an attractive quality. Dave wrote a blog about national politics. Something he doesn't do very well. it's not a journalistic hit piece it's a couple paragraphs of opinion. it's not good or thought provoking. I think Dave should stick to what he knows. Madison.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:05 am

green union terrace chair wrote:Ron Paul is crazy because he thinks a $15 trillion national debt and using inflation to try to manage it are bad things. What a maroon!

I was actually talking about his views on non-white people, gays and women. If you ain't a white bro, Ron doesn't have your back. I think Dave makes a great point about him - he gets a lot of "what a straight shooter" style pats on the back because no one takes him seriously. If he was taken seriously by a decent percentage of people, all of the racist/misogynist/downright nasty stuff he has said and spread throughout the years would be under the microscope.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:19 am

Blogger Dave has his column purely based on name recognition. If Joe Smith applied for the same job with Dave's writing samples he'd be laughed out of the office.

There is so much to say about Ron Paul's youth following and Blogger Dave said so little; and so poorly to boot.

I agree that I'd MUCH rather read some thoughts expressed on these boards rather than his.

Wake up Isthmus, its not all about celebrity. People respect intelligence and originality as well.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:20 am

Libertarians tend to be male and are overwhelmingly white.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:23 am

Also, Banal Dave wouldn't DARE mention Ron Paul's anti-war, anti-bailout, pro-middle class, pro-social equalization, respect for individuality stances.

Mentioning those would ruin his deeply insightful 'thesis' that Ron Paul is crazy...just CRAZY...can you believe people like him?! LOL! Blogger!

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:26 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Libertarians tend to be male and are overwhelmingly white.

Looks to me that 'liberals' (I hate these terms) tend to be just as white, almost as rich, almost as male and more college educated (elites!).

See how easy this is?

Liberals are also godless while populists are, ahem, god help us all, PROTESTANTS!

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:30 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Libertarians tend to be male and are overwhelmingly white.
Cue Henry for another non-sequitur factoid...

Henry, look at your link - the differences between the income and race demographics for all ideologies are hardly differences worth noticing. Libertarians are barely different from Liberals in the categories you singled out.

Libertarians: 82% white, 7% black
Liberals: 82% white, 7% black
hmm, nothing to see there...

Also note that there are more Libertarians in both of the lowest income brackets than there are Liberals. But for practical purposes, the differences across all income brackets are minimal - there are approximately equal distributions of Liberals, Libertarians (and the other categories) across income brackets. What trend are you trying to point out with your link? Other than the male gender boost for Libertarians (59%) there is hardly any statistical contrast that can be found, according to your source.

edit: Henry didn't actually say anything about income differences, so I just railed on that with no prompting. Henry is 1 for 2 in identifying demographics uniquely correlated with Libertarians (gender: yes, race: no).
Last edited by ArturoBandini on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:31 am

Craver's take wasn't much better: Gee, the Ron Paul crowd on the Terrace was overwhelmingly young white males! Who'd a thunk?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 am

Artie, the overwhelming majority of black Americans vote for liberal candidates, not libertarian ones. Now women are abandoning the GOP and have never been much of a presence in the libertarian movement.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Now women are abandoning the GOP and have never been much of a presence in the libertarian movement.

Hey man, small government, except for abortions. Let's outlaw those.

Return to “National Politics & Government”