Wisconsin = Open Primary

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby Huckleby » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:13 pm

Do it. Cross over. You can tell your grandkids that you once voted for Rick Santorum.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby Lily » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Voting for a-n-y GOP candidate is NOT gonna happen for me in this election. I can't see that any of them have a concern for my best interests and they ARE sold out to ALEC interests. GOP seems to rule on greed.

I don't have a lot of money, but I DO have a vote and I WILL exercise that power on Tuesday.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Lily wrote:Voting for a-n-y GOP candidate is NOT gonna happen for me in this election. I can't see that any of them have a concern for my best interests and they ARE sold out to ALEC interests. GOP seems to rule on greed.

I don't have a lot of money, but I DO have a vote and I WILL exercise that power on Tuesday.

I think Huck means that as kind of a gag, Lily. Rush Limbaugh encouraged his listeners to mess with the Democratic primary in 2008 and some people are suggesting that Democrats do the same in 2012. Essentially, by voting for Santorum and hoping to boost him to a victory, you're extending the Republican primary out so they continue beating up on each other for another few months. Who knows? If the Republican Party has completely lost their marbles they might even nominate Santorum to carry their banner. Rush Limbaugh seems to prefer him to Romney.

But current polling aside, Romney actually has a chance of beating Obama. Santorum doesn't.

I won't be participating in Operation Chaos Pt 2 but I am curious to see how many votes Santorum gets in Madison.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Actually Huck, when you put it that way it does sound a little tempting.

I don't think I'll do it because there's just the slightest little chance, despite what PJ thinks, that I might someday have to admit I helped Santorum become president and that thought gives me muscle spasms.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:04 am

pjbogart wrote:
Lily wrote:Voting for a-n-y GOP candidate is NOT gonna happen for me in this election. I can't see that any of them have a concern for my best interests and they ARE sold out to ALEC interests. GOP seems to rule on greed.

I think Huck means that as kind of a gag, Lily. Rush Limbaugh encouraged his listeners to mess with the Democratic primary in 2008 and some people are suggesting that Democrats do the same in 2012. Essentially, by voting for Santorum and hoping to boost him to a victory, you're extending the Republican primary out so they continue beating up on each other for another few months. Who knows? If the Republican Party has completely lost their marbles they might even nominate Santorum to carry their banner. Rush Limbaugh seems to prefer him to Romney.

But current polling aside, Romney actually has a chance of beating Obama. Santorum doesn't.

I won't be participating in Operation Chaos Pt 2 but I am curious to see how many votes Santorum gets in Madison.

Rush didn't fucking invent it. Defensive voting is a time-honored tradition in Wisconsin stretching back decades.

If you support Obama and vote for him in this primary on Tuesday rather than utilizing your open primary opportunity then you are retarded.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:17 am

I'm going to go Republican in the primary and vote for Santorum-- for Dan Savage if for no other reason. And I want to vote for either Neuman or Jeffy Fitz, too.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:40 am

rabble wrote:I don't think I'll do it because there's just the slightest little chance, despite what PJ thinks, that I might someday have to admit I helped Santorum become president and that thought gives me muscle spasms.

Mitt Romney has the nomination sewed up, Santorum now would have to win something like 80% of the delegates contested in primaries and caucuses, and I don't think that accounts for the fact that the overwhelming percentage of party-insider "super delegates" are going to Romney. There is no chance that a President Santorum could be on your conscience. If you have thoughts of assasinating Mitt Romney, don't bother, the party insiders still wouldn't nominate Santorum or Gingrich, they would go with some more broadly acceptable suit.

The issue remaining is whether Mitt will have to wait until the convention to get the delegates he needs. This would be bad for the Republican party, and there is a modest chance that can happen.

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:45 am

So you're saying tomorrow I should vote for the greater of two evils for once?

Lovely.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:25 am

Many Republican power brokers don't want Romney. I see a floor fight at the GOP Convention and maybe a dark horse emerging as their candidate.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:47 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Many Republican power brokers don't want Romney. I see a floor fight at the GOP Convention and maybe a dark horse emerging as their candidate.

Romney is getting almost all the party endorsements, not sure who these power brokers are. Even Tea Party Godfather Jim Demint has pitched in for Romney.

Conservatives don't much like Romney, sure. But Romney is now getting healthy pluralities of Tea Party voters, conservatives are resigned to him.

I hope you are right that a floor fight could unseat Romney, I just don't see that being the Republican way. IT would smack of desperation.

Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby Twinner » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:54 am

We'll be voting for Ron Paul for just that reason.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:18 pm

rabble wrote:I don't think I'll do it because there's just the slightest little chance, despite what PJ thinks, that I might someday have to admit I helped Santorum become president and that thought gives me muscle spasms.

This! I make it a rule to never vote for someone who I wouldn't want to actually see in the office, no mater how slim their chances are. Plus the sooner the frothy mix drops out, and goes back to obscurity, the happier I'll be.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Many Republican power brokers don't want Romney. I see a floor fight at the GOP Convention and maybe a dark horse emerging as their candidate.

Palin!

I know - just wishful thinking.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:25 pm

DCB wrote:

Palin!

I know - just wishful thinking.

Hey, you can write her in, you know?

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:46 pm

I was seriously thinking of voting for Santorum for Operation Chaos, the Progressive Sequel. Then I got this message.

Hi, my name is Brian Camenker; I'm a Jew from Massachusetts. And, this is Darcy Brandon; I'm a Christian from California. If you believe as we do that marriage and sexuality should only be between a man and a woman, please help us stop Mitt Romney. As Governor, Romney signed “Gay Youth Pride Day” declarations, promoted homosexuality in our elementary schools, and unconstitutionally ordered state officals to make Massachusetts America’s first same-sex marriage state. Romney supports open homosexuality in the military, the appointment of homosexual judges, and the ENDA law, making it illegal to fire a man who wears a dress and high heels to work, even if he’s your kid’s teacher. When you vote tomorrow, please vote for social sanity and Rick Santorum, NOT for homosexuality and Mitt Romney. Rick Santorum is the ONLY candidate who can be trusted to uphold traditional marriage, a straight military, and the rights of American children to have both a mother and a father. This message paid for by Jews and Christians Together.ORG and not authorized by any candidate. To get the FACTS before you vote, visit Jews and Christians Together. ORG.

http://massresistance.org/romney/jct_robo_call.html

I'm not sure I can stomach voting for Santorum if it could foster the sort of hate preached by these folks.

Return to “National Politics & Government”