Quiz: Are you Smarter than a FoxNews viewer?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Quiz: Are you Smarter than a FoxNews viewer?

Postby pjbogart » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:00 pm

From the Christian Science Monitor, a short quiz (11 questions) to decide whether you've been indoctrinated with media bias.

Click Here for Quiz

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Quiz: Are you Smarter than a FoxNews viewer?

Postby bdog » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:21 pm

9 of 11 correct.

I'm obviously no Kenneth Burns.

jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby jackisonian » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:34 pm

8 of 11 not a bdog

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 pm

7 of 11. There was only one in which I simply didn't know. The other 3 I missed were ones in which I didn't pick the worst answer, at least. I was going to post a couple of examples......then I remembered I'd be spoiling it for people who hadn't taken it yet. It was interesting.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:01 pm

9 of 11. I even knew how many tanna leaves it takes to revive the Mummy.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:06 pm

9 of 11. That was an awful, awful poll. If you read the fine print in each "answer", there is a lot to argue with. What is particularly interesting is that, while the title only specifically mentions Fox News and purposefully positions Fox in contrast to other news sources, Fox News viewers do only slightly worse, on average, than those who view other sources. If this were an objective evaluation of all news sources, then all news consumers would look like idiots (with Fox viewers leading the pack, of course).

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:21 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:9 of 11. That was an awful, awful poll. If you read the fine print in each "answer", there is a lot to argue with. What is particularly interesting is that, while the title only specifically mentions Fox News and purposefully positions Fox in contrast to other news sources, Fox News viewers do only slightly worse, on average, than those who view other sources. If this were an objective evaluation of all news sources, then all news consumers would look like idiots (with Fox viewers leading the pack, of course).

Well, maybe this quiz will be more to your liking.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:37 pm

Arturo, that quiz is over a year old, so we've had plenty of time to learn about who supported what bailout. Secondly, The Christian Science Monitor isn't exactly some bastion of liberalism. I think what might trip people up on the quiz are questions like the global warming one. It wasn't asking for your opinion, it was simply checking to see if you knew that scientists DO believe that global warming is real. Not the causes, not the solutions, just whether scientists believe it exists.

I don't think any of the questions were a matter of opinion. They were fact based and where you get your facts determines how you do. I got 10 of 11, missing the auto bailout question. I hesitated, to my credit, but I was thinking the bank bailout was Bush and the auto bailout was totally Obama. Apparently that was a portion of the TARP funds as well.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:26 am

pjbogart wrote:I don't think any of the questions were a matter of opinion. They were fact based and where you get your facts determines how you do.
Not a matter of opinion, but certainly a matter of how you interpret the question and the facts used to support the "correct" answer. The fine print answer to the first question contained a lot of what I could call "misleading facts". The CBO did say that the stimulus created or saved millions of jobs, but they didn't actually measure that. And the set of "most economists" cited didn't even answer the question about how many jobs were created or saved, but rather whether the stimulus was a net positive or negative. I'll admit that not all the questions/answers were as terrible as that one, but they really started on the wrong foot, in my opinion.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:34 am

Was it a bad poll? Maybe, but not for the reason Arturo suggests. I think most of the questions were reasonably factual, reasonably well-defined, and correctly answered.

Where the bias comes in is the selection of questions. Nearly all the questions appeared to be oriented towards debunking typically "right-wing" myths that people may have absorbed from the media (as Arturo points out, Fox viewers are only somewhat worse-informed than the general public, which suggests that other media sources are, whether deliberately or inadvertently, tending to propagate conservative myths, too).

One could probably devise a similar poll with questions designed to pop various "left-wing" myths (e.g., when a state passes a concealed-carry law, does it lead to a large increase in gun-related deaths? or what about the relative safety and costs of nuclear power versus other sources?)

There's no reason why left-wing and right-wing myths should be exactly equal in the public's mind, either in prevalence or perniciousness. Over the past decade, I think that most of the big and truly pernicious myths (related to the economy, energy, and terrorism/war) that have been driving public opinion and public policy have been "right-wing" myths (but of course, I would think that, wouldn't I?).

Nonetheless, Fox News viewers don't have a monopoly on mistaken ideas, and one could probably come up with a similar quiz with questions designed to skewer myths held by progressives. Maybe even progressive forons whose names begin with "k"....

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 am

10 out of 11.

I agree with Kurt, mostly. Nothing wrong with the answers. The question seem appropriate enough to me since the quiz was "Are you Smarter than a FoxNews viewer?" If it was "Are you Smarter than a MSNBC viewer?" I'd expect a different set of questions.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:58 am

fisticuffs wrote:The question seem appropriate enough to me since the quiz was "Are you Smarter than a FoxNews viewer?" If it was "Are you Smarter than a MSNBC viewer?" I'd expect a different set of questions.

Eh. It looks to me like they're asking "Are you smarter than a FoxNews viewer?" and then asking a bunch of questions that are (mostly) designed specifically to trip up FoxNews viewers.

That's even ignoring the question of whether there's a difference between "smart" and "well-informed"...

All that said, I do think that some of those questions they ask are genuinely important. It's disturbing that a significant number of people are misinformed. That doesn't bode well for America's ability to respond effectively to challenges facing the country.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:04 am

All that said, I do think that some of those questions they ask are genuinely important.

Say for instance you are going to base your vote on the economy it's helpful to know that the facts are that it IS improving not getting worse, or if you base your vote on bank and auto bailouts it's important to know the FACT that both presidents had some hand in it, or if you vote based on your tax burden it's important to know they are factually lower than they have been in decades. It gets to the heart of the basic lies being fed to Fox viewers every hour on the hour. What lies am I being fed? How do they compare in importance and size?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:38 am

kurt_w wrote:Eh. It looks to me like they're asking "Are you smarter than a FoxNews viewer?" and then asking a bunch of questions that are (mostly) designed specifically to trip up FoxNews viewers.

I don't mean to be facetious, but isn't that pretty much the point?

If the subject matter is misinformed Fox viewers, would it not be pertinent to deal with the information that is A, most consistently misinformed in that demographic and B, most likely to cause a person to vote for a different candidate if they had the correct info?

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:47 pm

rabble wrote:
kurt_w wrote:Eh. It looks to me like they're asking "Are you smarter than a FoxNews viewer?" and then asking a bunch of questions that are (mostly) designed specifically to trip up FoxNews viewers.

I don't mean to be facetious, but isn't that pretty much the point?

There'd be no problem if the quiz was titled "How many of these (mostly) right-wing myths have you internalized?"

Not trying to beat a dead horse here. If we want to move on, I'm good.

Return to “National Politics & Government”