What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Ducatista » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:22 pm

Huckleby wrote:Lets put that ugly PC moniker to rest. What opinions do you hold that are outside of the politically correct umbrella:

Suggested in the first line, ignored in the second. You just can't help it, can you.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Huckleby wrote:I'm not engaged in Christopher Hitchins defense because it requires too much thought and research.
Fuck Hitchens then.
Tell me what you think.

Statement: "Women are not funny."
Question: Is that statement sexist, yes or no?

Presumably, you don't need to do any research to answer this.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:41 pm

sure, taken at face value it is sexist.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:42 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Lets put that ugly PC moniker to rest. What opinions do you hold that are outside of the politically correct umbrella:

Suggested in the first line, ignored in the second. You just can't help it, can you.

I can't follow this cryptic response, will just interpret it as "piss off"

me thinks the lady doth protest too much. not being able to talk about political correctness suggests, well, PCphobia
Last edited by Huckleby on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Huckleby wrote:sure, taken at face value it is sexist.

But Hitchens, your hero, you don't take at face value, even when he reiterates the same claim when challenged.

Makes perfect sense in the world of Huckleby.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Huckleby wrote:sure, taken at face value it is sexist.

But Hitchens, your hero, you don't take at face value, even when he reiterates the same claim when challenged.

Makes perfect sense in the world of Huckleby.

you just requested that I take some words at face value, without context, and I did so.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:46 am

This is ridiculous. Here's Ted Nugent, classy as always:

"I'll tell you this right now: If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year," Nugent said. "We need to ride into that battlefield and chop their heads off in November. Any questions?"

Nugent, speaking at the organization's annual gathering over the weekend, praised NRA members but warned that if they did not "get everybody in your lives to clean house in this vile, evil, America-hating administration, I don't even know what you're made out of."

"If the coyote's in your living room, pissing on your couch, it's not the coyote's fault. It's your fault for not shooting him," he said.He also denounced the administration as "criminals" and said a Democratic victory in November would mean "we'll be a suburb of Indonesia next year" — an apparent reference to Obama's boyhood time there.

It's like the Clinton years all over again. There's a certain segment of the right wing that just really, really can't cope with having their "team" out of power for a few years. It doesn't matter how centrist and moderate a Democratic administration is; these guys will run around like chicken little blathering about Black Helicopters and Jack Booted Thugs and Marxism.

Let's hope that no Timothy McVeighs are listening to Mr Nugent....

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:01 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Fuck Hitchens then.

Is that statement homophobic?

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:43 am

"I'll tell you this right now: If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year," Nugent said.

Best pro-Obama campaign promise ever. Seriously.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:55 am

mrak wrote:
"I'll tell you this right now: If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year," Nugent said.

Right now, InTrade shows a 61% chance that Obama will be re-elected. I hope that Mr Nugent is walking back that statement.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:08 am

Huckleby wrote:me thinks the lady doth protest too much. not being able to talk about political correctness suggests, well, PCphobia

You really have a hot nut for this PC business, don't you? I don't get it, because you seem like a reasonably smart guy.

PC serves two equally lame ends.

One: it's a fuzzy blanket people wrap themselves when they're annoyed or embarrassed about getting called out on their racist or sexist or homophobic or otherwise intolerant or ignorant shit. It's about on par with "I'm rubber and you're glue" as a meaningful comeback.

Two: it serves as a cheap and easy rallying cry for the right, a way to dismiss the loony left as oversensitive nancies.
But if you still wanna do a PC profile on me, holler and I'll cough it right up.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:06 pm

kurt_w wrote:
mrak wrote:

Right now, InTrade shows a 61% chance that Obama will be re-elected. I hope that Mr Nugent is walking back that statement.

Legend has it the Nuge stopped bathing and shit his pants to convince the draft board he wasn't all there in order to avoid being shipped off to Vietnam. I don't know if that's true, but I hope he soils himself for real when the Secret Service comes a knockin' in light of this recent tough-guy talk.

What a moronic braying jackass.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Ducatista wrote: You really have a hot nut for this PC business, don't you?
Yes, very much so.

I see PC people as typically being extremely intelligent. Not always, but usually the more intelligent the more strident. And most often they are in most respects nice, sensitive people - I don't mean this as a backhanded insult. But they share an intolerance, tendency to demonize, with the far right.

Not all liberals are PC.

Ducatista wrote:PC serves two equally lame ends.

One: it's a fuzzy blanket people wrap themselves when they're annoyed or embarrassed about getting called out on their racist or sexist or homophobic or otherwise intolerant or ignorant shit.

I see. You believe that "political correctness" is a false accusasion leveled only by racists, sexists and homophobes.

You have characterized Camile Paglia as a charlatan. She is a college professor who has written a stunning range of readable books of poetry criticism, film appreciation, history, popular culture. I've read her books and been to some of her talks, many find her fascinating and brilliant. Is it possible that she really is a fake? Or have you damned her because of some of her opinions?

Ducatista wrote:Two: it serves as a cheap and easy rallying cry for the right, a way to dismiss the loony left as oversensitive nancies.
Certainly true sometimes. But not all who recognize PC behavior are from the right.
(You called me a "conservative" at some point. Everything is relative, but about 85% or more of my opinions are liberal.)
It's also telling that you thought my position on Catholic Church/birth control was stridently pro-Catholic. Actually, I just appreciated both sides of the argument, in particular the imposing of values flows both ways, IMO. I was looking for a practical compromise.

Ducatista wrote:But if you still wanna do a PC profile on me, holler and I'll cough it right up.
Yes. I am interested in what opinions you hold that run against the liberal grain here in Madison.

BTW, if somebody has all liberal views, they have all liberal views. Doesn't necessarily mean they demonize other points of view.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:What a moronic braying jackass.

Heard this Nuge nugget yet?
“See, I’m a black Jew at a Nazi-Klan rally, and there are some power-abusing corrupt monsters in our federal government that despise me because I have the audacity to speak the truth to identify the violations of our government, particularly Eric Holder and the president and Tim Geithner, ad nauseum.

I think we need some new adjectives to describe this kind of cluelessness.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:12 pm

“See, I’m a black Jew at a Nazi-Klan rally, and there are some power-abusing corrupt monsters in our federal government that despise me because I have the audacity to speak the truth to identify the violations of our government, particularly Eric Holder and the president and Tim Geithner, ad nauseum.
I have a huge problem with his characterizing the government as evil doers. That's psycho, in my book.

The "black Jew" line is strange, but when you shake it out he's saying he is the white knight in a sea of evil. An odd metaphor, but wrong just for its intended meaning.

Return to “National Politics & Government”