What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7493
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby rabble » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Huckleby wrote:
rabble wrote:Oh, fuck you. We think you're an obtuse ass.


sharp wit, there.

IMO, it is lame to lean-on the crutch of the majority to beat-down a vexing minority opinion. In other words, grow a pair, friend.

And there's why sno, and now me, have quit trying to talk to you. You demonstrate the closed mind so well.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3146
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby DCB » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Huckleby wrote:
wack wack wrote: Your minimization of the negative nature of the "joke" borders on sociopathy


the bar has been raised. A sick joke is now "sociopathy". I didn't make or appreciate this sick joke, but my tolerance on of it is entering sociopathic territory.

The pathology is not being able to understand why this joke crosses the line.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8327
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:53 pm

DCB wrote:The pathology is not being able to understand why this joke crosses the line.

The "pathology" is in not falling in line with the rigid, politically correct thought box.

Each of the PC posters in this thread have resorted to increasingly shrill name calling and insults. No ability to understand or discuss a nuanced view. This is debate from the reptillian brain.

The most conservative and intolerant people I run into are liberals. My politics are very liberal, it's not like I have ideological clash.

I agree in part with where the joke crossed the line on the racial question. But even there, I wouldn't say the person telling the joke was necessarily seeing it from that racial angle.

As far as the "mysogeny" accusation, that is completely out of line, in my view. Almost every comic or sharp-tongued pundit with a dark sense of humor would be a mysogenist, if the standard for mysogeny was a tasteless or offensive joke with a female character involved.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:02 pm

We get your point. Everyone on this board is out of step, except you. Now quit shitting on this thread.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8327
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:We get your point. Everyone on this board is out of step, except you. Now quit shitting on this thread.

No, I don't dismiss anyone as being "out of step" because they disagree with me.

If it is so obvious that the joke was misogynistic, perhaps someone will care to explain exactly why. Without insults, or threats of ostracizing. It is obvious why the joke is crude and offensive. But hateful of women? How so?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3421
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:15 pm

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
or can we all at least agree that it was an incredibly lame joke?


More to the topic, off hand who was the last president who wasn't hated or at least heavily disrespected/insulted by the opposing party? I want to say Bush 1, but I'm not sure the view from the Catholic HS I attended gives me a good frame of reference. I know Reagan got plenty of abuse from the left, but my memory (granted as a pre-teen) was that it was less disrespectful that the diatribe that was been dumped on Clinton, Bush 2 and Obama.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:19 am

Huckleby wrote:The "pathology" is in not falling in line with the rigid, politically correct thought box.

What a complete load of horseshit you carry around in that thick head of yours.

The crux of the "joke" is that sleeping with a black man is akin to sleeping with an animal and that anyone woman who would do so must be a drunken whore. If you can't see how that's incredibly offensive in the ways being discussed here then you're the one who's inflexible.

I've often wondered if you're really as stupid as you come across here or if you simply delight in playing the contrarian every chance you get. You've convinced me it's the former. It's worth noting that this is the only point you've ever effectively driven home in all you reams of rambling around here. Nice to have at least one point on the board though, I suppose, however damning to your character.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8327
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:22 am

Mean Scenester wrote:The crux of the "joke" is that sleeping with a black man is akin to sleeping with an animal and that anyone woman who would do so must be a drunken whore.

No that was not the crux of the joke, the crux was that mamma OBama sleeps with dogs.

Mean Scenester wrote: If you can't see how that's incredibly offensive in the ways being discussed here then you're the one who's inflexible.
How many times do I have to repeat that I agree that the joke is offensive? I didn't approve of the joke.

I was trying to have a civil discussion about an upsetting topic. I was trying to explore the **specifics** of what is acceptable, where are the lines. I agreed that there was a racist angle to the joke. I disagree that is the only way people are reading it, actually that's a fact, not an opinion. Nobody dares venture an explanation of how the joke is mysogenistic.

The only standard I hear is: "IF something really really upsets me, it is really really evil and intolerable." I'm not suggesting that bigotry is involved here, but emotion-based judgement is exactly where intolerance comes from, it should be challenged.

I explained specifically what my own standards are.

Mean girls Snoqueen & Rabble have announced that I am no longer welcome at the cafeteria table. Ostensibly it is because I am a stupid poopy-head, but really it is because I've asked upsetting questions.

Has anybody here ever watched a Comedy Central Roast? The jokes there are thick with weird sex, constant ethnic references, gay jokes, really gross & offensive stuff. Worse than the joke the judge put in writing. Is anybody who laughs at comedy central roasts a mysogenist, racist or (per Wack-wack) a sociopath? Is the judge's joke so bad because of context?

Mean Scenester wrote:damning of your character

What does my character have to do with anything? Just because people can not deal with an uncomfortable topic, they change subject to my character. Well, that's not unusual, that's people for you.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:12 pm

Huckleby wrote: I am a stupid poopy-head...

So you say.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:More to the topic, off hand who was the last president who wasn't hated or at least heavily disrespected/insulted by the opposing party?

Ike. Both parties wanted him to run as their presidential candidate.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7013
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:34 pm

Huckleby wrote:I was trying to have a civil discussion about an upsetting topic. I was trying to explore the **specifics** of what is acceptable, where are the lines. I agreed that there was a racist angle to the joke. I disagree that is the only way people are reading it, actually that's a fact, not an opinion. Nobody dares venture an explanation of how the joke is mysogenistic.


There are two demonstrable lies in that paragraph.

'Actually that's a fact, not an opinion.' The hell it is. It's an opinion - your opinion. Which is, by definition, not a fact.

Wasn't there someone on this board who pompously opined about how he was above those who thought that their point of view was always the correct one, whereas they recognized that all points of view were equally valid?

Oh, yeah - it was you.

'Nobody dares venture an explanation of how the joke is mysogenistic.' Actually, multiple people have - you just dismissed their explanations, because all points of view are equally valid but only yours have the status of revealed truth. Pointing out, to those of us who are NOT YOU, how incredibly full of shit you are.

You don't have to acknowlege this, of course. But everyone else has noticed it - which is why you have the all the intellectual credibility of a phrenologist.

Huckleby wrote:Mean girls Snoqueen & Rabble have announced that I am no longer welcome at the cafeteria table. Ostensibly it is because I am a stupid poopy-head, but really it is because I've asked upsetting questions.


Jesus H. Christ.

Seriously? You know better than the 'mean girls' as to why they said what they said? In regards to the topic of misogyny?

Do you even know what 'patronizing' means? Because you're soaking in it.

Never mind; it will end up meaning whatever you say it means, in order to preserve what appears to be your one and only sacred truth - that whatever Huckleby says on any subject is the only valid point of view, and anyone who disagrees with it is lying to themselves.

The knots into which you twist your intellectual rationalizations are truly astonishing to behold. And more than a little sad.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8327
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:08 pm

Marvell wrote: There are two demonstrable lies in that paragraph.

'Actually that's a fact, not an opinion.' The hell it is. It's an opinion - your opinion. Which is, by definition, not a fact.

I posted the joke in a more conservative forum, and 100% of respondants there, including from the relatively liberal, thought there was no overt racism in the joke. They didn't pick-up on angle explained here earlier. Therefore, it is a fact, not opinion, that people have interpreted the joke very differently.

The rest of your post is rich with false accusations. I'm sorry to leave you hanging, but I can't respond to them right now. Later, gator.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7013
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Huckleby wrote:The rest of your post is rich with false accusations. I'm sorry to leave you hanging, but I can't respond to them right now. Later, gator.


I'm all aquiver with anticipation as to your next cuttlefish-like release of vaporous platitudes.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8327
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Marvell wrote:'Nobody dares venture an explanation of how the joke is mysogenistic.' Actually, multiple people have - you just dismissed their explanations, because all points of view are equally valid but only yours have the status of revealed truth.

Several people have used the word "mysogeny" as a label for "offensive", or meaning "offensive to women." But nobody has explained how the narrative of that joke promotes hatred towards women.
Rather than accuse me of dismissing explanations, why don't you quote a past explanation, or better yet, state one yourself.
Perhaps your point is not to have a discussion, but rather to hurl insults.

Marvell wrote:Seriously? You know better than the 'mean girls' as to why they said what they said? In regards to the topic of misogyny?

Do you even know what 'patronizing' means?

The "mean girl" remark was made, quite appropriately, in response to catty promises to ostracize me. Now you have connected that remark to a different topic, mysogeny, falsely claiming that I made a patronizing dismissal of somebody's opinion. Nice trick.

The rest of your speech is more general insults. Your judgement of my motives are way off. Whatever. My interest is just arguing about topics that rile me. You might notice that my opinions piss you off, perhaps that colors your character eval.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:40 pm

If you can't see the misogyny in a "joke" that says Obama's mother fucks a dog, then you are either terminally obtuse or a disingenuous fool. The choice is yours.


Return to “National Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests