Tommy Thompson's new ad

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Woofer
Forum Addict

Re: Tommy Thompson's new ad

Postby Woofer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:45 am

I imagine this will form the basis of the first ad from any one of the array of Thompson opponents out there...

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:53 am

Woofer wrote:I imagine this will form the basis of the first ad from any one of the array of Thompson opponents out there...

That was 1999, thirteen years ago, back when public sector unions - using collective bargaining - held Wisconsin governments (and taxpayers) in virtual strangleholds. Only reactionaries would want to go back to those bad old days.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Meade wrote:Only reactionaries would want to go back to those bad old days.

Ya, why go back to the days when you had a somewhat moderate conservative who was willing to govern for everyone in the state and not just their extreme right party.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Meade wrote:
Woofer wrote:I imagine this will form the basis of the first ad from any one of the array of Thompson opponents out there...

That was 1999, thirteen years ago, back when public sector unions - using collective bargaining - held Wisconsin governments (and taxpayers) in virtual strangleholds. Only reactionaries would want to go back to those bad old days.

"virtual strangleholds", "reactionaries", "bad old days"

Ok, now let's see how your language and spins squares with what Tommy actually said, which I will now take the time to transcribe directly from the video for those unable or unwilling to click through:

"During my tenure as governor, I have worked very closely with Marty Beil of WSEU, as well as the other unions, to form this partnership. Together we are creating an important labor-management legacy for Wisconsin. Our state has a proud tradition of collective bargaining, and yes, positive labor relations that dates back to the very beginning of organized labor in this country. Now, let me share this time with my friend, Marty Beil."

Did you watch the video, Meade? Does it look like he was forced to say those words? Or rather, was he regularly smiling and proud to share the video stage with Marty?

This is how far right and uncompromising your party has become, Meade. This is why the recall is happening.

Woofer
Forum Addict

Postby Woofer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:03 pm

Indeed, if there was a gun to Tommy's head, it was well off-camera. But just to clarify my first post, this clip will most assuredly be used by the array of Tommy's Republican opponents in the senate primary (and the ultra-conservative PACs that justifiably don't trust Tommy's conservative credentials). Dems can only sit back and acknowledge (perhaps grudgingly) that Tommy actually had it right. No quarrel with him on that point.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:18 pm

Tommy says drill, baby, drill.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:26 pm

What does Tammy say?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:20 am

Meade wrote:What does Tammy say?

Baldwin's energy policy.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:57 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Meade wrote:What does Tammy say?

Baldwin's energy policy.

Copied, pasted, and elided from Tammy's website linked by Henry:

Energy

Rep. Baldwin visits a Wisconsin wind farm

Energy is at the heart of our economy.
[...]

There are essentially three ways to achieve these goals:

[1.]Use less energy

And from Tommy's:

Energy Policy

Our nation’s energy policy must address two economic imperatives:

Economic growth; and
Independence from foreign oil.

I'll go with Tommy. With an "O". For wiscOnsin.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Selective editing at its partisan worst.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:19 pm

Meade wrote:Copied, pasted, and elided from Tammy's website linked by Henry:

Here, let's actually try the truth.

A comprehensive energy plan must include investment in enhanced energy production from wind, solar and biofuels; investment in advanced battery technology, electric and hybrid vehicles, and development of smart grid technology. If we are to successfully confront the challenge of climate change, we will have to move away from our dependence on fossil fuels. For states like Wisconsin that are highly dependent on coal for energy productions, we must pursue new technologies to capture and store carbon that would otherwise damage our environment and contribute to climate change.

Conservation and energy efficiency also are important components of our energy policy. Huge savings of both energy and money can result from replacing outdated technology with new high efficiency motors, lights, and building materials. Encouraging these investments by businesses and families through tax credits and rebates has proven successful.

By developing a comprehensive and integrated energy policy, we will strengthen our economy, enhance our national security and protect our environment.

The other thing you quoted was her talking about climate change. Your selective editing amounted to pure and simple lies. Nice work, you've outdone yourself this time.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:52 am

Tommy has more GOP primary competition.

The Republican race for the U.S. Senate nomination is about to get more crowded.

Hedge fund manager Eric Hovde was expected to announce his candidacy at campaign stops in Dane and Milwaukee on Thursday. A native of Madison, Hovde has lived the past 24 years in Washington, D.C.

talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby talagaster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:45 am

Some selected exerpts from Eric Hovde's campaign bio:
http://www.ericforsenate.com/about/

"Eric is a bold leader who has spent his career in the private sector."

No mention at all of hedge funds. Or the $14 million in TARP money that his firm, Monarch, accepted, although his front page has a video labeled "Big Government Gone Wrong."

"Then, at age 24, Eric took a risk, and with just $5,000 he began his own financial advisory firm. In 1994, Eric took another risk. Using his life’s savings, he bought a controlling stake in Monarch Savings Bank."

"Eric currently serves as chief executive officer and board member for Hovde Properties LLC, which purchases, develops and manages real estate in Wisconsin. Founded by Eric’s grandfather “Inky” in 1933..."

Eric took a real risk when he started that business... I mean, if it failed, the only thing he had left to fall back on was his family's massive real estate business.

"A Christian with a deep sense of personal responsibility and gratitude"

Phew, worried he was a Muslim.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:59 pm

talagaster wrote:"A Christian with a deep sense of personal responsibility and gratitude"

Phew, worried he was a Muslim.

Yeah--nothing worse than a Muslim with a deep sense of personal responsibility and gratitude. I mean, where would we be if non-Christians were allowed to have positive qualities?

Why can't these rich public Christians focus a little more on the "humility" part and little less on the "praise God I'm privileged" part?

Return to “National Politics & Government”