CPAC Highlights

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

CPAC Highlights

Postby pjbogart » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:10 am

I really don't know what to make of Victoria Jackson. She's kind of become an infamous conservative but I think it's mostly liberals who push her into the spotlight because she's a pile of unintentional laughs waiting to happen.

Saving the world from communism

Is this some sort of elaborate hoax? It's hard to believe she's actually a conservative because not only does she appear completely in character (or she literally can't turn it off) but her "McCarthyism/Conservativism" flub seems hardly accidental.

Regardless, she embodies the liberal stereotype of your typical Teaper so I suspect she'll get plenty of hits from her CPAC performance. Maybe it can even help her break through that wall of intolerance that calls itself Hollywood.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: CPAC Highlights

Postby DCB » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Rep. Steve King (R-IA) is always reliable for stupid and offensive. And CPAC brings out the A-list stupid and offensive.
King referred to the House office building janitors during Pelosi's time as speaker as her "Stasi troops" -- referring to oppressive secret police in East Germany until 1990 -- saying they unscrewed the lightbulbs in his office to replace them with energy-efficient "curly-Q" bulbs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/0 ... 1328812497

There's more at the link.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Another Onion-worthy story. Try reading it aloud.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 pm

I liked the joke somebody told:

A liberal, a moderate and a conservative walk into a bar.
The bartender says, "Hi, Mitt"

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:52 pm

DCB wrote:Rep. Steve King (R-IA) is always reliable for stupid and offensive. And CPAC brings out the A-list stupid and offensive.
King referred to the House office building janitors during Pelosi's time as speaker as her "Stasi troops" -- referring to oppressive secret police in East Germany until 1990 -- saying they unscrewed the lightbulbs in his office to replace them with energy-efficient "curly-Q" bulbs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/0 ... 1328812497

There's more at the link.

Awful choice of metaphor, but I support his struggle to not use those awful compact fluorescents. Though using incandescents doesn't exactly make you Nathan Hale.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:30 pm

My entire house is nothing but "curly Q" bulbs and the only negative I've ever encountered is the need to hold my calculator over my head to get it to turn on. After that it's fine. And I think I've replaced one or two of them in the past 5 years.

Maybe it's the calculator-Jew connection that brought up the Nazi reference.

Seriously, they save you money. How is that a bad thing?

Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:28 am

pjbogart wrote:My entire house is nothing but "curly Q" bulbs and the only negative I've ever encountered is the need to hold my calculator over my head to get it to turn on. After that it's fine. And I think I've replaced one or two of them in the past 5 years.

Maybe it's the calculator-Jew connection that brought up the Nazi reference.

Seriously, they save you money. How is that a bad thing?

The light from them is weird (though this doesn't bother some people). Also if one breaks it is a hazard and you need to evacuate the room until the toxic fumes dissipate.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:54 am

green union terrace chair wrote: Also if one breaks it is a hazard and you need to evacuate the room until the toxic fumes dissipate.

Rep. King and his fellow 'freedom bulb' cabal have their panties in a bundle only because they don't like the idea of conserving energy.

If you told him that CFLs are dangerous he'd probably buy a case of them and smash just for the hell of it.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:47 pm

I love the light bulb outrage. It's such a stupid approach to the culture war.

The obvious truth is that the florescent bulbs save money and you rarely need to replace them. For this reason alone, they should be used in every government office and any so-called conservative who battles this misunderstands the word "conservative." You don't get to debate the relative value of "warm" lighting when the taxpayers are picking up the bill for utilities.

The other argument against the curly-q lights from conservatives is how the traditional incandescent bulbs are increasingly rare in stores. I guess Home Depot isn't stocking them anymore, and this is a high crime in the mind of some. They consider it bowing to the demands of the politically correct, or something.

But isn't it the free market at work? There's less demand for the old elitist bulbs, so that's why stores aren't selling them. If people wanted them -- and hated the curly ones -- you'd be able to find them easily. That's how markets work. I'm sure you can still hunt down the incandescent bulbs which, because they're not being made much anymore, cost more. More free market at work.

Is that market being manipulated by environmentalists? So what if it is? The oil market is manipulated and so is every other market. As Bo Ryan would say, deal with it.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:00 pm

The Straight Dope took on the CFL topic earlier this month. The devil's in the details, as usual.

Also, contrary to his SOP, he threw the conservatives a bone on the issue of governmental regulation of incandescent bulbs.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:05 pm

jjoyce wrote:But isn't it the free market at work? There's less demand for the old elitist bulbs, so that's why stores aren't selling them. If people wanted them -- and hated the curly ones -- you'd be able to find them easily. That's how markets work. I'm sure you can still hunt down the incandescent bulbs which, because they're not being made much anymore, cost more. More free market at work.

It's not the "free market at work" if the government is actively restricting production.

Here's the EPA's instructions on what to do if a CFL breaks.
http://epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html
They're toxic. Millions will end up in landfills because enough people won't take them to recycling centers like they ought to.

CFLs are like electric cars or ethanol. You're reducing one type of pollution or waste but increasing another. So if you're satisfied with the trade-off, fine. But don't fool yourself into thinking you've made some 100% beneficial switch.

If you really want to invest in the future, buy LEDs. Even more efficient, non-toxic and better light. But they'll cost you. Me, I'll stick to incandescents while I can and switch to LEDs in a few years.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:50 pm

That's a pretty scary article, green. Now that I know all about the dangerous chemicals we use in flourescent lights I'll be sure to avoid anywhere I find them. This will include, but is not limited to: department stores, grocery stores, schools, libraries, government buildings of any sort, gas stations, restaurants, coffee shops, malls, electronics stores and drug stores.

I mean, what if one of those ticking time bombs breaks while I'm shopping? I suppose I could do my shopping in my haz-mat suit, which I bought for when I need to change the batteries in my remote control.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:20 pm

I use the fluorescents al over my house, but recently I found some compact LED lightbulbs at Ace. They make nice light and absolutely no heat at all. I mean, they aren't even WARM (which fluorescents are after a while). Supposedly they last something like 100,000 hours, which is insane (who tested them that long?). I will use them from now on to replace fluorescents that go bad, rare as that is.

If the light in CFLs bothers you wait a couple days and your mind forgets all about it. Be sure to buy the warmer whites not the "daylight" white.

None of these technologies is without downsides-- the LEDs need some tiny amount of a rare earth element instead of the mercury in CFLs.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:45 pm

I can't say it enough times, Grover Norquist is an asshole:

All we have to do is replace Obama. ... We are not auditioning for fearless leader. We don't need a president to tell us in what direction to go. We know what direction to go. We want the Ryan budget. ... We just need a president to sign this stuff. We don't need someone to think it up or design it. The leadership now for the modern conservative movement for the next 20 years will be coming out of the House and the Senate.

The requirement for president?

Pick a Republican with enough working digits to handle a pen to become president of the United States. This is a change for Republicans: the House and Senate doing the work with the president signing bills. His job is to be captain of the team, to sign the legislation that has already been prepared.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -cpac.html

I will have to say that this guy is probably the biggest asshole of the bunch. He somehow yields some form of power without doing a goddamn thing. Ya, to hell with the three branches of government. He says this because he knows how to influence the legislature, something he hasn't managed to do with the president yet.

I also think it's funny when he says "this is a change for Republicans" Really? cause Bush was such an independent thinker?

Return to “National Politics & Government”